Billy Sharp

Dartmouth Ram

I completely understand his irritation with sections of our fans. There are some unbelievably stupid things that have been said and sung about him. He does like running his mouth though, see his stupid comments about non league Wrexham somehow being disrespectful last season. He's got a massive chip on his shoulder and one "King" Billy is already enough to last me a lifetime. Then there's the most pertinent issue that plenty of others have mentioned, surely we can find better options than a 37 year old looking for a final payday?

Edited by Anon

3 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Are we seriously considering a 37 year old? 

I don’t think the argument around signing Sharp needs to be any more complicated than this.

Surely, SURELY, our scouting team can find a striker below the age of 30, ffs!

Billy Sharp is the type of striker, who at 37 isn’t going to start games, but you could bring on with 20 minutes to go when it’s 0-0 and can score you a goal. We haven’t really had that striker for a while md I think we need a young, pacy option up there too but I see no problem with having a look. 

He might only score 5 goals but those 5 goals could gain us an extra 10 points come the end of the season. Also that 5 players for 2 spots would be about right wouldn’t it?

Collins, Washington, Godden, a young pacey loan and Sharp wouldn’t be a bad mix would it if Sharp was 90% of the time your impact sub?

Would be an excellent signing for League 1 level, and why shouldn’t he have a similar impact goals wise as McGoldrick ?

The age argument needs to be put into perspective. Ashley Young is talking to Everton about a deal at 38, and if Warne uses him solely as a goal poacher and doesn’t expect him to press and run 10k a game, it will work well.

Just now, hintonsboots said:

Would be an excellent signing for League 1 level, and why shouldn’t he have a similar impact goals wise as McGoldrick ?

The age argument needs to be put into perspective. Ashley Young is talking to Everton about a deal at 38, and if Warne uses him solely as a goal poacher and doesn’t expect him to press and run 10k a game, it will work well.

The argument of the one player you can think of that plays at age 482 compared the evidence of the majority of players who have retired doesn't hold much weight.

He’s just said in a sky sports interview he’s had in offers from the championship and below but the championship is where he thinks he should be playing. 

He’s not coming here then.  Our only interest is if Cov sign him and does that potentially free up Godden (if we’re even in for him that is)

Interestingly Sharp also said Heckingbottom wanted to give him another year but it didn’t happen, presumably overruled by others in the club. 

Couldn't see him coming here in view of his comments about us and the treatment he's had from a few isolated morons who claim to be Derby fans. If he did, it wouldn't be on less than a 2 year contract which would mean him clocking for 40 by the time it ended.

I hope to high heaven there's absolutely no truth in this and would be staggered if there was - it's a road we definitely shouldn't be going down, for the age issue alone!

6 minutes ago, Srg said:

The argument of the one player you can think of that plays at age 482 compared the evidence of the majority of players who have retired doesn't hold much weight.

It’s all about opinions mate. He would score a hatful at this level, despite being on a zimmer frame as you postulate.

1 minute ago, Kokosnuss said:

Because unlike McGoldrick he doesn't create his own chances, doesn't score from outside of the box and doesn't take set pieces?

Agree with the above. What cost us promotion last season though was not converting the myriad of chances created. Warne knows we need a Sharp type player, only time will tell if it is him or Godden/ Smith etc.