Summer Rumour Mill

sage

2 hours ago, jono said:

Feste would be a beast at this level. He’d bully the bullies defensively or attacking. Won’t happen but I know both those players loved us and we loved them. Their body language and enthusiasm was special. Those difficult games under Rooney and the EFL cosh were so much brighter when they were on the pitch. It was like Stingray “anything can happen in the next half hour” 🤣

I agree. I think Festy would be a beast in League One and would be ideal for the wing back role. Would add much needed pace and physicality to our play. I think Ebiowei could also tear it up as well I'm a more advanced role.

The EFL well and truely screwed us over with them two and Plange.

Allsop 

Foz Davies Cash 

Ebosele Bird Knight D Williams 

Ebiowei Sibley 

Plange 

The admin robbed us of seeing it XI would have had a hell of a chance in this division 👀

1 hour ago, IlsonDerby said:

Allsop 

Foz Davies Cash 

Ebiowei Sibley 

Plange 

The admin robbed us of seeing it XI would have had a hell of a chance in this division 👀

Is this the same Plange that tore it up in his loan at Lincoln since January?  Their performances in that season is probably not a good gauge on how they will progress, it was a unique set of circumstances with an obviously inspiring figurehead as manager (not the most tactically asture though)....

They may have good careers, but none have kicked on since leaving. Maybe Ebosele's physicality and pace is allowing him to hold his own, and he is playing at a high level, so I think he would have been immense in league 1, but Plange and Ebiowei..... 

Look how our established starlets, Bird, Knight and Sibley have all arguably struggled, most of us thought they would boss the games, but they haven't,  there's an odd flicker, but I'd say they've all been underwhelming,  hopefully they will kick on in 23/24 if they stay

7 hours ago, Ram1988 said:

I agree. I think Festy would be a beast in League One and would be ideal for the wing back role. Would add much needed pace and physicality to our play. I think Ebiowei could also tear it up as well I'm a more advanced role.

I always said Ebosele was best as a wingback. He was a good tackler at under 23 level and his pace on the break we all know about. Of course, we didn't play with wingbacks then so he was re-invented as a winger. 

Just now, angieram said:

I always said Ebosele was best as a wingback. He was a good tackler at under 23 level and his pace on the break we all know about. Of course, we didn't play with wingbacks then so he was re-invented as a winger. 

I loved watching him at his best. 

However, like many young players, he may not have progressed much and there’s no guarantee he would ‘tear it up’ as some have suggested.

Even Cashin has struggled at times in League One.

Festy certainly wouldn’t be at home in a game where the ball spends most of the time in the air or in the crowd.

If he wanted to return and our scouts are happy with what they see of him, the fans would give him a great welcome for sure.

What a boost for someone who hasn’t played regularly to suddenly be adored by 30,000!

1 hour ago, IlsonDerby said:

Allsop 

Foz Davies Cash 

Ebiowei Sibley 

Plange 

You left out Buchanan.

12 hours ago, Ram1988 said:

Ebosele would have suited the right wind back role if he was still around. I think Ebiowei would be good as a inverted forward or off and around  the centre forward. He would bring an infection of pace and directness to our attack.

Wind back ? ...has he got a kite ?  .....and maybe should seek help with that infection of pace  

1 hour ago, angieram said:

Yes Angie 😊 I remember his defensive side at least as much as his forward play. He timed tackles very well. Just getting a boot between his opponents legs to stab a ball away and tracked the runner stride for stride. He was seriously sharp and not reckless either. He had that compact structure like Cashin, doesn’t get knocked out of the way. 

10 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Wages and other offers from a higher league.  We may get a  31 yr old from the division above but not players in there 20's with twice the earning potential.  30 years ago yes but pull of club counts for less nowadays.

Yes, we do bang on about it a lot - the pull of playing in front of 30,000 every week. In truth I don’t think players give a fig . Or how else would Bournemouth and Brentford bring in top class players. They only have a few years to to make enough money to last a lifetime. Many of them looking after parents and other relatives . The only thing that counts are the numbers in the bank. Their agents are there to remind them.

2 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

Yes, we do bang on about it a lot - the pull of playing in front of 30,000 every week. In truth I don’t think players give a fig . Or how else would Bournemouth and Brentford bring in top class players. They only have a few years to to make enough money to last a lifetime. Many of them looking after parents and other relatives . The only thing that counts are the numbers in the bank. Their agents are there to remind them.

Tend to agree with you but I guess it might make a difference where a player is offered similar deals from different clubs.  

Scott Arfield has been released by Rangers. At 34 , too old for us . However in 300 games for Burnley and Rangers , he has scored 50 goals playing holding midfield. Those are the kind of numbers our holding midfield players should be capable of in the 3rd Tier.

2 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

Scott Arfield has been released by Rangers. At 34 , too old for us . However in 300 games for Burnley and Rangers , he has scored 50 goals playing holding midfield. Those are the kind of numbers our holding midfield players should be capable of in the 3rd Tier.

Maybe but that's a pretty poor rumour

13 hours ago, Ram1988 said:

The fee we got for Plange will probably go down as one of our more impressive bits of business. He’s a player who hit a purple patch, significantly struggled following his move and has now disappointed in League One and Belgium’s second division. 18 appearances in League One last season with 0 goals, couldn’t get into a fairly weak Lincoln side for the most part. He really struggled. 

6 hours ago, angieram said:

Yes and wing back generally means more space to run into which suits his game much better. 

I was never sure he'd go on to big things - so much or what he did seemed based on physicality rather than technical skill, which tends to become more of an issue the higher you go. But I imagine he'd been a terror at League One level (as he was in the Championship).

Ebiowei is an odd one. He looked to have everything. I'm a bit surprised he's not kicked on, especially after a strong preseason, but maybe Palace were expecting a bit too much too fast. But he's extremely technically gifted, and a clever footballer, so I'd still expect him to make a successful career in the Premier League when he finds his feet. Not sure about people here talking about his pace though - I don't remember him being particularly quick, which was maybe an issue at the top level. 

1 minute ago, vonwright said:

Yes and wing back generally means more space to run into which suits his game much better. 

I was never sure he'd go on to big things - so much or what he did seemed based on physicality rather than technical skill, which tends to become more of an issue the higher you go. But I imagine he'd been a terror at League One level (as he was in the Championship).

Ebiowei is an odd one. He looked to have everything. I'm a bit surprised he's not kicked on, especially after a strong preseason, but maybe Palace were expecting a bit too much too fast. But he's extremely technically gifted, and a clever footballer, so I'd still expect him to make a successful career in the Premier League when he finds his feet. Not sure about people here talking about his pace though - I don't remember him being particularly quick, which was maybe an issue at the top level. 

(All this talk of Plange, Ebiowei and Ebosele having underperformed - not to mention Knight, Bird and Sibley - just makes it all the more remarkable how well we did in our relegation season. A tiny squad of maybe-not-as-good-as-we-thought players got enough points for a lower mid-table finish.)

13 minutes ago, vonwright said:

Let go by Arsenal and Rangers.  Couple of sub games at Palace followed by a very non descript loan at Hull.  Sometimes your better off staying at a club where you've found your feet.  Ebosele, Morrison and Byrne are 3 others.  Could have been sat back in the championship now with extended contract offers rather than getting splinters in the back of beyond.  Particularly damaging for Ebosele with all these ex and current ROI players at the club.  He'd have a number of caps by now if he'd stayed. 

On 22/05/2023 at 14:17, jono said:

That sounds pretty sour to me. Luton are a small club but with fiercely loyal fans who have been through the biggest grinder ever being points deducted season after season and fighting their way back from none league. If the go up they will be the only club to have gone top to bottom to top. That isn’t “two bob” 

Yeah it is sour I guess tarnished maybe by the running battles in the streets outside kenilworth road back in the 80s after big Dave Swindlehurst scored a very late double to secure a 2-1 win we were second they were top 

ive never seen so many horrible nasty t**** as the blokes that day throwing milk bottles from peoples doorsteps in the terraced streets into groups of derby fans a lot of families and youngsters frightened for there life loads of blood on peoples faces that day that’s what I remember and before you say was ages ago blahdy blah not clubs fault yahdy yah ...it happened a few times as both home and away come out the same exit onto the terraced housed streets and although I loved the game I literally had to fight my way to the station and it was carnage and not nice ...big so called hard men picking on kids me included at 15.... nice 

it’s a s******* area and the ground is crap as are the fans and yeah they are two bob club and I couldn’t give a monkies about there loyal fans 

so yeah kinda sour I guess