Summer Rumour Mill

sage

38 minutes ago, PrideParkhead said:

It's pretty obvious Warne couldn't attract a moth to a light. We're the biggest team in this League but have been reduced to scrabbling about in the dirt for castoffs. Pathetic state of affairs 

I like the way you use the closing sentence to sum up your post.

Cant quite decide if some fans have been in a coma for the last few years or are just out of touch with reality. 

2 hours ago, DCFC1388 said:

Would gladly take Waggy & Sharp, i think them 2 with Collins & Washington are a decent 4 at this level. I can see them all getting around 15 goals

This level of what? A game of Bridge at the welfare?

2 hours ago, PrideParkhead said:

It's pretty obvious Warne couldn't attract a moth to a light. We're the biggest team in this League but have been reduced to scrabbling about in the dirt for castoffs. Pathetic state of affairs 

Our fan base may well make us the biggest club in this division. We may well be generating two or three times more match day revenue than many of the other clubs. This is of little consequence if the financial restrictions we are being force to operate under, means we are one of the smallest clubs in terms of our spending power in the transfer market.  

Until the EFL allow us to get off the naughty step, this is the situation Warne as to work with. I'm sure Warne was made aware of the budget he'd be working with when he took the job. 

I think Warne as done well in his recruitment so far but unfortunately acquiring the players that can provide the goals needed to get us promoted, may require money being spent on a transfer fee. Something which as I've already said the EFL seem determined to stop us doing. 

So yes while not quite being reduced to scrambling in the dirt. I do believe we'll need all the skills of our recruitment team to find the players Warne will need to finish assembling a squad capable of promotion. 

Edited by 1of4

5 hours ago, DCFC1388 said:

Would gladly take Waggy & Sharp, i think them 2 with Collins & Washington are a decent 4 at this level. I can see them all getting around 15 goals

I can't. It's not exactly inspiring. Why do we always sign journeyman strikers? Can't we get in someone a bit younger with a bit of pace?

Edited by Rammy03

2 hours ago, Rammy03 said:

I can't. It's not exactly inspiring. Why do we always sign journeyman strikers? Can't we get in someone a bit younger with a bit of pace?

I know what you’re saying, I mean why can’t we just sign a tall, fast, good in the air, great touch, good link up play and scores at least 25 goals a season! Oh and on a free, it’s just so frustrating!

44 minutes ago, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

I know what you’re saying, I mean why can’t we just sign a tall, fast, good in the air, great touch, good link up play and scores at least 25 goals a season! Oh and on a free, it’s just so frustrating!

No point getting anyone on longer than a 1 year deal when Harry Lane might be available on a free next summer 

5 hours ago, Eddie said:

@sage, this is the sort of moronic comment I was referring to.

This is the sort of comment that stops people posting, you can disagree but this coercive control attitude is not good for the forum or the recipent who receives it. 

It smacks of you know best.

Someone disgreed with me yesterday, which is fine but the comment moronic is out of order to a person who supports the same team as you.

7 hours ago, Andicis said:

Based on what? I'll wait for any substance to that completely baseless comment. Us being the "biggest" team means nothing when budget wise we are limited in what we have to spend. Pathetic comment. 

The problem with being a ‘big’ team is that other agents use us to get more money elsewhere (and fans believe rumours so think we are losing out to smaller teams) and when we are interested agents ask for more money than they would from other clubs. We had a reputation amongst players in the industry for overpaying in the past and that needs to stop. We should hold our ground and stick to what we can afford.

The club needs to run at break even in the long run and we shouldn’t be short sighted. 

3 hours ago, Rammy03 said:

I still say Macauley Bonne on a free would be a good signing at this level.

At 27 he's the right age, athletic, and can play several forward positions includingleadingtheline. Fairly pacey and decent in the air to feed off Wards crosses. 

Fans have got to realise we're shopping in B&M Bargains and not John Lewis anymore. Gone are the days where we can p!22 away a few million quid on fairly average players on bloated wages.

Bonne's not my dream signing, that would of course be Mbappé obviously.😉

I'm just waiting for people to shoot me down saying his scoring records not great blah blah blah.

I'd just prefer him over Rhodes and Waghorn as Bonne would add some much needed pace.

25 minutes ago, baiano27 said:

The problem with being a ‘big’ team is that other agents use us to get more money elsewhere (and fans believe rumours so think we are losing out to smaller teams) and when we are interested agents ask for more money than they would from other clubs. We had a reputation amongst players in the industry for overpaying in the past and that needs to stop. We should hold our ground and stick to what we can afford...

Yes I still think that agents/players expect us to be paying 'over the odds', although I'm not sure what that is. 😄 When someone posted they said Warne said Ladapo was on £16k(?) at Ipswich I did think well maybe it's not just us. But for sure we can't afford that sort of wages, or would want one player to be on it?

We need players with guile and football knowhow, doesn't matter their age. That's what Didzy has.

5 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Yes I still think that agents/players expect us to be paying 'over the odds', although I'm not sure what that is. 😄 When someone posted they said Warne said Ladapo was on £16k(?) at Ipswich I did think well maybe it's not just us. But for sure we can't afford that sort of wages, or would want one player to be on it?

We need players with guile and football knowhow, doesn't matter their age. That's what Didzy has.

Good point Roy. As much as I think someone like Ladapo could make a big difference to our goal threat, I’d rather have 2/3 players in the squad for that £16k combined than lump it all on one player. Would rather have the depth and resilience for the season ahead which would hopefully help with grinding out the success we want and need. 

Edited by Caerphilly Ram

My key reservation is that we got caught out by counter attacks last year because we aren’t mobile enough in midfield. Since then, we have sold our most mobile midfield player.

Unless we invest in this area, I can see our rather slow back three coming under pressure.

We also need two forwards because what we have is bang average.

We will be top six, because we have some super footballers who seem to get on as a squad.

We just need a bit more to make us top two, but there’s still time.

10 hours ago, Big Trav said:

Sounds as if Rhoades deal of off then, I was told Billy Sharp and Waggy will sign if we are ‘really desperate’ by the sounds of it, we’re starting to go pretty far down the list for strikers, also been told to expect 4-5 more players in the rest of the window. My guesses would be a striker (or 2 depending on Dej) a creative 10, a destroyer in midfield, and a left wing back 

Will the South Stand stop singing that dreadful song about him if we sign him? It was repeated several times yesterday.

We do have a few fans who appear not to have a brain cell between them.

43 minutes ago, Woodley Ram said:

This is the sort of comment that stops people posting, you can disagree but this coercive control attitude is not good for the forum or the recipent who receives it. 

It smacks of you know best.

Someone disgreed with me yesterday, which is fine but the comment moronic is out of order to a person who supports the same team as you.

Just to offer a slightly different angle - Some comments need calling out as absurd, perhaps we could be more forensic and clinical about it but sometimes that's a bit difficult. The proliferation of ridiculous posts like the one in question make me want to avoid the board altogether. If I could be bothered to breakdown the post then I guess it would be thus but I think a STFU is more appropriate.

It's pretty obvious Warne couldn't attract a moth to a light - Obviously not true.

We're the biggest team in this League but have been reduced to scrabbling about in the dirt for castoffs. Not sure what biggest means or how it's relevant but we don't have the option to just splash money around because we are working to a very strict budget.

Pathetic state of affairs. No

13 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Been informed today that Rhodes was due in for a medical yesterday but didn’t show. 99% certain that’s what Warne is on about with people “lying in football”.

He can go swivel for all I care. Been crap for years and messes a club like Derby around. Not the sort of character I want here. Banker.

Spot on.

Are you his advisor? 😜