Stephen Pearce...didn't get out of our club

sage

Just now, sage said:

Against all predictions, and feelings at the the time, Mr Pearce is still at Derby and is seemingly valued and trusted by David Clowes. 

Was he completely innocent in the financial meltdown or does he just know where the bodies are buried.

My guess is he is good at his job and it comes down to what he is directed to achieve in post

6 minutes ago, sage said:

Against all predictions, and feelings at the the time, Mr Pearce is still at Derby and is seemingly valued and trusted by David Clowes. 

Was he completely innocent in the financial meltdown or does he just know where the bodies are buried.

He’s a qualified accountant so I don’t think he can be absolved of blame given that our accounts were flawed. 

That said as I said many times, EFl made a mountain out of a molehill. I don’t believe that we broke any rules other than maybe making the disclosure of the method as clear as it could have been. 

10 minutes ago, PistoldPete said:

He’s a qualified accountant so I don’t think he can be absolved of blame given that our accounts were flawed. 

That said as I said many times, EFl made a mountain out of a molehill. I don’t believe that we broke any rules other than maybe making the disclosure of the method as clear as it could have been. 

Yes, you have to wonder how lenient the EFL might have been without Gibson's hatred towards Mel/us 'forcing' their hand?

But Pearce makes me nervous, hopefully he's on a short leash. If he was that good he'd have got out ages ago to a more secure job, how much was he being paid?

16 minutes ago, angieram said:

Or he might just feel that he wants to put right some of the wrongs of the past?

He almost single-handedly kept us running in administration. 

The Club has moved on, so should we.

He wasn’t strong enough to stand up to MM - but if he had, he’d have been shown the door. Q went out of their way to defend him and say how helpful he was to them

... as I think you’re suggesting. 

interesting question, whether DC should have had a clean sweep. I’d guess SP wanted to stay. I’m sure he’s loyal and  has affection for the club. And after the melt down, would he have found another job?  On the other side I’m sure the decision to retain him would only have been made after DC’s people had seen him at close range. And so far they have made good decisions from the look of it 

1 hour ago, PistoldPete said:

Don’t think the error was a technical accounting one. The mistake wasn’t adopting that accounting policy. It was adopting an accounting policy that was not used by any other club in the leagues and that offered a competitive advantage 

Mr Clowes is a highly respected and long serving successful business owner that wasn't struck lucky overnight. Any decision he makes, I have absolute confidence in his logic. As he said at takeover, by having so much vested interest in Derby and Derbyshire, it's only in his best interests to have a successful club running within it's means.

3 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

Maybe MM was impossible to argue/reason with, like Robert Maxwell.

Maybe so, but I'd prefer someone in the post that was willing to walk away in the face of such a character and blow a whistle, as opposed to submitting and going along with it, ultimately helping lead us to disaster.

Edited by JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Yes, you have to wonder how lenient the EFL might have been without Gibson's hatred towards Mel/us 'forcing' their hand?

Interesting to see that Wigan only got a suspended points deduction this week (i.e. no deduction) for multiple breaches as regards paying players. To quote the EFL site:

"Wigan Athletic has received a three-point deduction to be suspended until 31 December 2023 after admitting to multiple breaches of EFL Regulations.

The sanction imposed is for failing to adhere to the terms of the Standard Contracts that were in force between the Club and its Players for the late payment of player wages on three separate occasions."

One of the criticisms of MM was that he removed the football people around him and ran the club as a dictatorship. In this context I doubt SP had any real say and certainly not final decision making.

I too trust DC and if he’s happy that SP is adding value then that’s good enough as far as I’m concerned.

57 minutes ago, angieram said:

Or he might just feel that he wants to put right some of the wrongs of the past?

He almost single-handedly kept us running in administration. 

The Club has moved on, so should we.

Flogging players for a third of their value in January and extending loans helped more i'd suggest

Just now, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Maybe so, but I'd prefer someone in the post that was willing to walk away in the face of such a character and blow a whistle, as opposed to submitting and going along with it, ultimately helping  leading us to disaster.

Absolutely agree however, I’d like to think DC had enough of an in depth conversation with Pearce to accept that he can trust him to do his job properly and act in the best interests of the club. Unless of course DC also wants a yes man alongside him that will not stand up to him or fall on his sword if he’s not being listened to. I’ve never met DC and have no knowledge of his MO but, my gut feeling is that he isn’t that sort of guy.

I think from what we learned of MM's ways, if SP had stood up to him, or overly challenged him, he'd have been sacked.  It may well be that SP came up with the idea of changing our accountancy policy - it was, after all, legal, but just didn't fit with the EFL's view of things, and all other clubs to be fair.  We may well never know.  Q certainly rated him and publicly defended him.  If he was that bad, and they were cutting costs left right and centre, he'd have been gone surely? David Clowes is nobody's fool.  If there were any doubts he would have asked SP to leave I'm sure.  The fact he remains says to me he must be valued and has a place/say in the running of the club.