Bolton Wanderers (H) Sat 21st Jan

1 hour ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Warren, it's strange that you think we are obsessed with attendance yet on your own forum there are dozens of posts about selling out your allocation. What's the difference? 

We have gone over the top a bit on the attendance subject. But I wonder what our results have been like , post covid , with over and under 24k ? (not counting Papa cup)

17 minutes ago, Warren Blufitt said:

Ha, hung by my own petard Scarlet. ?

Maybe it’s because like you we almost lost our club recently that we’re just glad to be there at all. In fairness we’ve always had better support than the other Lancashire clubs, especially away support and even now with both Blackburn and Preston both pushing for promotion they can’t compete with us. Obviously the competition for fans is far more acute where we are with Man United, City, Blackburn, Preston, Wigan, Burnley and Blackpool all within around 15 miles max of Bolton plus others like Accrington, Fleetwood, Stockport and Rochdale. You really only have Chesterfield so I think comparing gate size is somewhat irrelevant but I accept it’s good to be well supported and you are.

I notice that you ignored Notts Forest, Notts County and Leicester City! No surprise, really!

1 hour ago, DCFC27 said:

I personally think League one is about right for Bolton. 

Astound us with some more witty Bants why don’t you …. but you might be happier on twatter, or watching videos of people falling in their paddling pools.

Edited by jono

1 hour ago, Warren Blufitt said:

Maybe it’s because like you we almost lost our club recently that we’re just glad to be there at all. In fairness we’ve always had better support than the other Lancashire clubs, especially away support and even now with both Blackburn and Preston both pushing for promotion they can’t compete with us. Obviously the competition for fans is far more acute where we are with Man United, City, Blackburn, Preston, Wigan, Burnley and Blackpool all within around 15 miles max of Bolton plus others like Accrington, Fleetwood, Stockport and Rochdale. You really only have Chesterfield so I think comparing gate size is somewhat irrelevant but I accept it’s good to be well supported and you are.

population of greater Manchester 2.8 million 

population of Derbyshire 800,000.

23 minutes ago, ram59 said:

And we all know that Man U fans don't come from Manchester, so the Mancs must support someone else.?

I think you’ve been listening to too much media rubbish 59. Of course the majority of United fans that attend games come from Manchester but United have fans from all over country, indeed the world and obviously some attend games periodically. The simple fact is that United get more fans through the turnstiles on a bad day than the likes of Wanderers and Derby get on their best days. I think history is much more relevant than gate sizes when judging clubs. Under Cloughie, my personal ever favourite manager, you won two Championship titles 50 years ago but other than that you’ve won nothing other than one FA Cup in 1947. We’ve never won the league, runners up twice but have 4 FA Cup wins. We have spent the 12th most years in the top division in our history and you’ve spent the 15th most so I’d say we’re both pretty successful and should be proud of that. If we were the only club in Lancashire we’d arguably be getting average gates in the mid twenty thousands like you but we’re not and aren’t likely to but it doesn’t take anything away from the fact Wanderers are a club with a long and proud history and so are Derby. We’re both fortunate to have clubs with a rich history to support since we formed the original league all those years ago and that’s what makes the game tomorrow so special not the fact that one gets a few more thousand than the other through the turnstile. Actually to put it in perspective, we’ve just lost our best player Dapo Afolyan to a German club St Pauli who are fighting relegation from the Bundesliga 2 and their average gate is over 30k!! Beat that. ?

8 minutes ago, Warren Blufitt said:

I think you’ve been listening to too much media rubbish 59. Of course the majority of United fans that attend games come from Manchester but United have fans from all over country, indeed the world and obviously some attend games periodically. The simple fact is that United get more fans through the turnstiles on a bad day than the likes of Wanderers and Derby get on their best days. I think history is much more relevant than gate sizes when judging clubs. Under Cloughie, my personal ever favourite manager, you won two Championship titles 50 years ago but other than that you’ve won nothing other than one FA Cup in 1947. We’ve never won the league, runners up twice but have 4 FA Cup wins. We have spent the 12th most years in the top division in our history and you’ve spent the 15th most so I’d say we’re both pretty successful and should be proud of that. If we were the only club in Lancashire we’d arguably be getting average gates in the mid twenty thousands like you but we’re not and aren’t likely to but it doesn’t take anything away from the fact Wanderers are a club with a long and proud history and so are Derby. We’re both fortunate to have clubs with a rich history to support since we formed the original league all those years ago and that’s what makes the game tomorrow so special not the fact that one gets a few more thousand than the other through the turnstile. Actually to put it in perspective, we’ve just lost our best player Dapo Afolyan to a German club St Pauli who are fighting relegation from the Bundesliga 2 and their average gate is over 30k!! Beat that. ?

Hamburg has 1.5million more people in it than Derby, so not shocking. 

Not sure why you’ve really come on here to just take shots at a few posters with little else to talk about other than this game nearing a sell out. Not one person suggested “look how massive Derby are in comparison to Bolton” til you piped up. 

We nearly didn’t exist a few months ago, so the prospect of a sell out is quite a thing to a few people. And yes, I’m aware you’ve been through it, but give some their moment. 

12 minutes ago, Warren Blufitt said:

Pedant Mode Fa cup win was 1946 and you missed out our Watney Cup and Texaco cup wins ?

2 hours ago, Warren Blufitt said:

I live about four miles from Stockport County….. I doubt too many Bolton fans in these parts, no offence! 
And Dave Mackay would have been a little miffed, Clough won first league and DM second with the assistance of a certain Francis Lee (why I’m a Ram), who as you’ll no doubt be aware began his career at a certain Bolton Wanderers. Funny old game! 

Fair post. Looking forward to tomorrow hoping for a good contest with some goals and a good atmosphere. I view Bolton as a very similar club to Derby, proud history strong fan base, fallen on hard times but deserving of better. Of course tomorrow only a Derby victory will suffice but from then on I hope that both clubs get promoted. I am also happy seeing ex Ram Evatt doing well. If I remember correctly a Bolton fan came to support us during last seasons game against Birmingham posted an excellent video of the day?. A proper football club.

23 minutes ago, Warren Blufitt said:

I wasn't having a dig at yourselves, just a tongue in cheek comment on the popular fallacy, hence the smiley emoji. The dirties also have fans everywhere, but don't have the same stigma as Man U fans, location wise.

17 minutes ago, Warren Blufitt said:

You seem to have ruffled a few feathers mate.  Too be fair, I can't see you've said much wrong, other than making your own point and are a saint compared to an a******* we had on here from Norwich a few years ago and a t*** from Leicester that was quickly sent packing, both whom thoroughly deserved a verbal thumping.   We have been in a European cup semi final though- robbed by a paid ref- and a few FA cup finals, We've also been League runner up on two other occasions so I think we're better.

a2d213c1741e2432127d208920b805ff.gif