Burton Albion (A) (Sat 10th Dec 2022, 2pm KO)

It was an aerial assault like I haven't seen since we played Wycombe at their place in the Championship. Eventually, the strain started to show and we were fortunate perhaps that Burton put two good chances wide within a few minutes, but largely it was percentages stuff. Dobbin could have won us the game on his own, but never even tested the keeper. A second goal in the first half might have quelled Burton's fire before it even got ignited, but we were  often sloppy in possession and wasteful in the final third. In the second half, we didn't really possess a threat until Mendez-Laing came on and too often lost out in 50/50 challenges. Overall, a draw was probably a fair result, but we need to see some improvement in that performance starting next week. I think criticisms of some of Warne's choices today are fair - his substitutions didn't make sense to me either.

I thought Max Bird was our best outfield player, while Wildsmith again was a safe pair of hands.

12 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

The lack of pre-season prep is an excuse that needs to be put to bed now but the fact that LR effectively had to get players signed (with no budget) very quickly is still a valid point. Under normal circumstances, I think both LR and PW would have signed different players. It doesn’t matter if we’ve played 2 games or 20 games. Both LR and PW have had to make do with what they could get/have got.

Tommy rot, These players have been together for 6 months 5/6 days a week, Have been playing under 2 managers and several coaches, 

These players are underperforming at times for some reason, 

9 minutes ago, Unlucky Alf said:

Tommy rot, These players have been together for 6 months 5/6 days a week, Have been playing under 2 managers and several coaches, 

These players are underperforming at times for some reason, 

Yes. I was defending the managers rather than the players.

A very poor display today and Warne should take a lot of the blame because none of his changes worked for the better. However, if we end up stumbling, blind folded in to the top 6 come the end of the season then it’s a job well done. 

We’re nowhere near automatic promotion quality and unfortunately we’re 2/3 players short from having genuine options to steal us points. 

January could be a key month but Warne will have the same problems with the restrictions as LR did. Really we need the EFL to be charmed by Clowes and for them give us a bit of leeway. 

Knight’s a gonner I’m afraid to say and for a fraction of the cost that we should’ve got. Probably along with Stephen Pearce the last remnants of Mel’s era. 

No point us getting too down hearted though. Those who don’t like Warne’s football will be licking their lips at this result. But they need to suck it up and accept this is the way Clowes has chosen to take us. Unless the wheels fall off spectacularly Warne’s safe in his job.

Edited by TomTom92