Burton Albion (A) (Sat 10th Dec 2022, 2pm KO)

14 hours ago, Crewton said:

They need to understand that being "local" doesn't make it a rivalry. We didn't have much of a rivalry with Forest until Clough went there. It was the bad feeling arising from that that made our games with them feistier. "The A38 derby" is like the phrase "Midlands derby" - just a label the media use to try to make a fixture sound more interesting than it is to most fans. Not even results in occasional meetings will change that.

It's hard for many of us older ones to accept Burton as local rivals, because many of us have grown up cheering on Burton's rise through the non league scene from the days when their 'local rivals' were the likes of Matlock and Gresley Rovers. We've, through Radio Derby, loosely followed their results on the way home from matches, as we do now with the likes of Alfreton. 

1 hour ago, ram59 said:

It's hard for many of us older ones to accept Burton as local rivals, because many of us have grown up cheering on Burton's rise through the non league scene from the days when their 'local rivals' were the likes of Matlock and Gresley Rovers. We've, through Radio Derby, loosely followed their results on the way home from matches, as we do now with the likes of Alfreton. 

I was cheering Matlock especially in the 70’s when they were one of the best non league sides in the country. Never a brewer ?

On 12/12/2022 at 03:14, ramboy63 said:

Give Burton there dues they deserved the point to be fair.

However its another game that as got away from us when three points were there for the taking,Dobbin clean through on goal and never looked like scoring springs to mind,think we need NML and Barks on the flanks and give him a rest

6 points from our next 2 home games is a bare minimum for me,no more hard look we played well and should of done better remarks are starting to be a bit cringe worthy,but we are were we are and still unbeaten for a good while we just need to take a bit more care in front of goal

If six points is the bare minimum, what would be the maximum? ?

17 hours ago, ram59 said:

Especially so when you were born and bred there ! ?

On 13/12/2022 at 00:09, Crewton said:

They need to understand that being "local" doesn't make it a rivalry. We didn't have much of a rivalry with Forest until Clough went there. It was the bad feeling arising from that that made our games with them feistier. "The A38 derby" is like the phrase "Midlands derby" - just a label the media use to try to make a fixture sound more interesting than it is to most fans. Not even results in occasional meetings will change that.

Actually I remember going to Terry Hennessy's testimonial against Forest at the BBG which, of course was while Clough and Taylor were still at Derby. I can assure you there was plenty of rivalry. 

As I was walking away after the match along Colombo Street the was a huge noise as a crowd of Dogs came charging along the road. A resident, instead of looking out of her window, opened the door just as I reached it, so I said “Thank You very much” and stepped inside, telling her to shut the door quickly. There was a blood-letting going on outside, but I decided, whimp-like” to keep my blood to myself, thank you very much!

1 hour ago, DavesaRam said:

Actually I remember going to Terry Hennessy's testimonial against Forest at the BBG which, of course was while Clough and Taylor were still at Derby. I can assure you there was plenty of rivalry. 

As I was walking away after the match along Colombo Street the was a huge noise as a crowd of Dogs came charging along the road. A resident, instead of looking out of her window, opened the door just as I reached it, so I said “Thank You very much” and stepped inside, telling her to shut the door quickly. There was a blood-letting going on outside, but I decided, whimp-like” to keep my blood to myself, thank you very much!

Did she make you a cup of tea? 

6 hours ago, DavesaRam said:

There was aggro with allot of teams in those days, but we weren't true rivals with most of them, insofar as us giving a toss whether they won or lost when we weren't playing them. To me, it ramped up significantly after Clough went there and they came back into the top flight and started winning things, but of course others might well have viewed it differently like yourself.

On 15/12/2022 at 12:36, angieram said:

Did she make you a cup of tea? 

Errr No! I felt acutely aware that I hadn't actually been invited in, and shouldn't really be there, so made my exit as soons as! I figured though that living that close to the old BBG she should be used to the need to take shelter.

I did say thank you, though!