Sheffield Wednesday (H) (Sat 3rd Dec 2022, 12:30 KO)

47 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Forgot it was early kickoff. Just logged on to see the team news!

I think I can safely say that didn't really matter today.  League 1 at its miserable worst - poor refereeing, poor football.

More of a battle than a football game.

Weds came with a game plan which was effective and overly physical. We kind of dealt with it but the ref did us absolutely no favours at all.

Defence we’re the star performers with Fozzy the pick of the bunch. Midfield were ok, but our front two were poor, part of that was lack of service, part was both seemingly having an off day. Definitely a day where defences were on top!

It was one of those games you just have to accept as a point gained against a rival and move on.

Better performance is needed in the final third if we want to keep our position in the play off mix

Edited by Ramarena

We could have nicked it but very important not to lose against a team above us in the league.It keeps our unbeaten run going and showing we are becoming hard to beat which will be very important come the second half of the season.Hopefully Warne will bring in 2 or 3 new recruits in January to give us a boost.Overall pleased with the way the season is panning out.

25 minutes ago, Boycie said:

I’m glad I made the correct decision to have a weekend away, that was a boring watch. 
Cashin’s distribution out of defence needs work.  The midfield looked lack of ideas and the strikers looked like they’d never played for us before.

Football is about perspectives, but I thought it was a good game to watch against two, evenly matched, teams.

I actually thought we were the better team and, if Collins could have connected with that half volley, we could have won.

I also think we need some context, Sheff Weds have more experience in this league now and a bigger, more settled, squad. 

All in all, probably a fair result and one that gives me optimism, I think Warne is hardening our, at times, soft underbelly ?

5 minutes ago, Mrso said:

I think I can safely say that didn't really matter today.  League 1 at its miserable worst - poor refereeing, poor football.

It wasn't great but if you think that was anywhere near the worse football or refereeing we've seen that I assume you don't attend many games.

Essentially, the two teams cancelled each other out and not many chances were created.

3 minutes ago, angieram said:

Not read the matchday thread yet but I was very disappointed with Sheffield Wednesday today. Came to spoil the game rather than play football. Ref didn't help.

I suppose they've learned that's what it takes to get out of the division, but it's so boring.

True but there was nothing there to suggest that Wednesday are better than us. We slightly shaded it I thought and as you say the ref didn’t help.. how many times do we have to say that? 

I thought it was an interesting if frustrating game. Lots of physical stuff missed by the three officials

Forsyth played well but I thought Bird was MOM. He was calm in a frenetic game.

Knight may be off in January but we could do with him back at RB.

Smith isn’t a bad player but defensively he’s hanging in there by a thread and he offers nothing in attack.

40 minutes ago, Gritstone Ram said:

I assume Dobbin was booked for kicking the ball at he advertising boards but when the ball went out later in the game and the Wednesday player kicked the ball away nothing was said. I don’t think either should really be a booking but if he books one surely he books the other.

It looked like he was booked for finally shoving one of theirs slightly back after being shoved off the ball by at least two of theirs all match previous to it. He had a rough ride

20 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

You know it’s been a crap match when everyone is commentating on the officiating which in truth it had no real bearing on the game anyway.

Warneball might make us more solid and harder to beat. But it aint half boring.

There were two cards worthy offences by the LB. Them going down to 10 men would have had a very "real bearing" on the game

35 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

You know it’s been a crap match when everyone is commentating on the officiating which in truth it had no real bearing on the game anyway.

Ah yes, as opposed to Rosenior’s high tempo, free-flowing, chance laden stylings. 

25 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

I’m sure Warneball doesn’t expect passes from defence to go wayward and put you on the back foot.

Blaming the Coach is a bit shameful to be honest. Blame the players.

While I’m here, was the fair haired striker for them an ex Rotherham player under Warne?

He was shocking, I noticed Warne hugged him on coming off.

Warneball is the opposite of boring. It's generally more flybytheseatofyourpantsandoccasionallyshityourselfbutoverallyouwillwinmorethanyoulosebecausethequalityofoppositionisfuckingappallinginleagueone than anything else.

Today was boring, but it isn't the norm.

Edited by Kokosnuss