Derby County v Bristol Rovers Saturday 29 October 2022

Gritstone Ram

2 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

There will be as big a battle in the crowd as on the pitch.

Rovers are bringing 3,000 and they will be LOUD.

We have to assert authority and cheer the team on, especially at tricky times.

Derby need a break. If we can get an early goal it might encourage the players to loosen up a bit and try more adventurous football.

Agree with most of that, but history, this season would suggest that the first goal isn't necessary. The last 4 home league games with a result have resulted in the winning team conceding the first goal.

4 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Wildsmith

Stearman     Cashin     Roberts

Mendez-Laing   Sibley    Smith     Bird     Forsyth

Dobbin

Collins

Subs:  Loach, Oduroh, Rooney, Hourihane, Thompson, Osula, McGoldrick

I’d probably go Forsyth at the back for Stearman, Dobbin wide, Sibley behind Collins and bring in Thompson. Think we need to snapping at heels Thompson can bring. Dobbin the only chance we have at having offensive balance on both flanks. 

2 hours ago, jimtastic56 said:

Warne inherited Bird as a vice captain.He must be contemplating a change due to the form of Max. I suggest if Connor was captain he would talk an inexperienced ref through the game like John Terry used to do. Often “starstruck “ by ex-prem players refs tend to listen more to complaints.Hourihane has many games under his belt as a captain and players would take a rollicking from him as well.

Wouldn't say Bird or Hourinhane strike me as leaders.

Will be an interesting watch this one. Wendy fan at work very impressed with Bristol Rovers other night, says their front 3 are excellent & they play good, energetic football. That said, they've come off a few days playing Plymouth & Sheff Weds and I wonder whether their energy levels will sustain another big occasion. They also played a day later than us.

Gven our CB injury issues & how much better we looked with 4 at the back on Tuesday, I'd be surprised if we went for 3 at back/wing backs again. Bristol pretty much matched Wendies & Plymouth for possession so think we need a bit more presence in midfield, hence I'd like to see Jake Rooney make his first league start at DM with Smith at RB & Roberts at LB. If we can get on top of them early, I believe we can tire them out

20221028_195758.jpg.8d5fd07b3d1f6ef41bbbeb32ac74f62a.jpg

Edited by LeedsCityRam

1 hour ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Will be an interesting watch this one. Wendy fan at work very impressed with Bristol Rovers other night, says their front 3 are excellent & they play good, energetic football. That said, they've come off a few days playing Plymouth & Sheff Weds and I wonder whether their energy levels will sustain another big occasion. They also played a day later than us.

Gven our CB injury issues & how much better we looked with 4 at the back on Tuesday, I'd be surprised if we went for 3 at back/wing backs again. Bristol pretty much matched Wendies & Plymouth for possession so think we need a bit more presence in midfield, hence I'd like to see Jake Rooney make his first league start at DM with Smith at RB & Roberts at LB. If we can get on top of them early, I believe we can tire them out

20221028_195758.jpg.8d5fd07b3d1f6ef41bbbeb32ac74f62a.jpg

It's certainly an option and one I would like to see.........back to the good old Stevie Mac days! 

I think it's success depends upon the performance of Rooney, if he can add physical presence and a decent shield in front of the back four it free's the other two up to go cause some damage. 

One of the most concerning things under Warne for me is the way the opposition keep wandering through our midfield unopposed. I don't think it's intentional, but the central midfielders clearly haven't got the hang of how Warne wants them to be covering each other without a dedicated CDM to do that job.

Putting Rooney or someone else in there to mop up and get stuck in to the opposition's midfield runners will give us more stability and our games will look a lot less end to end/chaotic!

3 hours ago, Srg said:

I’d probably go Forsyth at the back for Stearman, Dobbin wide, Sibley behind Collins and bring in Thompson. Think we need to snapping at heels Thompson can bring. Dobbin the only chance we have at having offensive balance on both flanks. 

You'd be playing Forsyth out of position as a centre half, Dobbin out of position as a LWB and Sibley out of position as the second striker!

The point of Fozzy at LWB is we can be more defensive on one side allowing NML to be more attacking on the other.

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

You'd be playing Forsyth out of position as a centre half, Dobbin out of position as a LWB and Sibley out of position as the second striker!

The point of Fozzy at LWB is we can be more defensive on one side allowing NML to be more attacking on the other.

I could get behind this, but I thought we looked better on Tuesday when we went to a 4231 again.

I think any formation will look better if someone goes down screaming like they've been shot and rolling round after 2 minutes, followed by mass circling of the ref demanding action.  The standard of ref in this league means cheating to get someone a red is the only way forward.  After the s*** the other way I've seen in the last month, I'd don't care.  Probably a wide man, as the ref won't be up with play as he'll still be taking photos on his big day out and the linos seem to have the eyesight of a mole in a sandstorm.

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

Better than Stearman who can’t move, Forsyth who can’t take a man on and… well Sibley can play second striker fine. To be honest, with what we have right now we shouldn’t play this formation but we know he will. 

16 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

There will be as big a battle in the crowd as on the pitch.

Rovers are bringing 3,000 and they will be LOUD.

We have to assert authority and cheer the team on, especially at tricky times.

Derby need a break. If we can get an early goal it might encourage the players to loosen up a bit and try more adventurous football.

The hoards will be on their way from Bristol now. I hope we have a strong police presence to protect our beloved statues.