Derby County v Bristol Rovers Saturday 29 October 2022

Gritstone Ram

This is a really important game in my opinion. Not necessarily in terms of needing the points (although we do need the points) but because it will be an indicator of how the players and Warne are going to react to the Ipswich and Exeter performances.

Both were very poor and Warne hasn't exactly been subtle in his assessment of the Exeter match (both his own performance and the players).

If there is little/no reaction on Saturday that represents a very bad sign to me.

Derby Telegraph reporting that Chester out for up to two months and Davies has to have keyhole surgery on his knee, at least a month out. 

Warne saying there's no magic level of training to keep players fit. 

Sounds to me like he's defending himself against accusations he's been pushing them too hard. Have these been made? Seen a few comments along those lines on here. 

I think Collins is the key player for Saturday. If he can come in determined to pick up football-wise where he left off then he could be the difference the side needs to boost their confidence.

We have decent players, Stearman hasn't let us down when he's played before, pick a 433, Warne and let's have a go. 

5 minutes ago, angieram said:

Derby Telegraph reporting that Chester out for up to two months and Davies has to have keyhole surgery on his knee, at least a month out. 

Warne saying there's no magic level of training to keep players fit. 

This is the same Chester whose injury was being 'questioned'?!

Thank goodness we're running out of CBs, we might see a back 4 afterall! ?

Interesting quote from the DT article:

"It's very difficult. You want to keep them as fit and healthy as they can be. And to do that they have to train. But you've always got the risk that if you push them too far then they will break.

I don't care what anybody tells you but nobody knows everything. There's nobody who knows what distances they should hit every week and what the high speed should be either."

Oh and:

"Any injury is a concern when we have such a small squad and there's no point putting it any other way. But what can we do about it? We can all sit around here moping or just get on with it. We will encourage the remaining group to play in a way that gives us a chance to win the game and keep them fit and healthy."

Edited by RoyMac5

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

This is the same Chester whose injury was being 'questioned'?!

Thank goodness we're running out of CBs, we might see a back 4 afterall! ?

Exactly. I can't see how he's endearing himself to players with those sort of public comments. I think Warne needs to be a little more discerning. 

But I got into trouble on here last time I had my say about his management style, so I what do I know? 

1 hour ago, Carnero said:

Isn't this a complete myth?

All I heard was Warne in his radio interview say "James Chester said he felt his calf".

What exactly is wrong with that?

Ask lots of posters who are promulgating the idea. I only heard him 'question' McGoldricks injury and so as I said assumed this was also a possibility of interpretation. He hasn't shown a lot of concern over the players injury status so far it seems, only that they're not able to play. Although he did quote the oft used meme that injured players are the better players as soon as they are injured. ?

24 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Sometimes, necessity can bring us pleasant surprises. 

Other times it brings us Butterfield as wide left forward, but let's not dwell on that. ?

Perhaps a chance for jake and /or even Oduroh.... 

Pretty sure Warne doesn't say "We don't have any right backs at the club" of he thinks that Odura is anywhere near the first team.

20 minutes ago, Blondest Goat said:

Pretty sure Warne doesn't say "We don't have any right backs at the club" of he thinks that Odura is anywhere near the first team.

He probably doesn't but he's approaching necessity as the CBs are dropping like flies and the others who might be preferred at RB are either injured or needed even more urgently elsewhere. 

Think Saturday's game will be the most difficult for us so far this season. They are on a long run of picking up points with no defeats. On Wednesday at Hillsborough by all accounts they played very well. They have given Plymouth a game as well. With over 3k of their fans (fair play to them)it will make for a great atmosphere. The first 20 minutes will be a marker as to how the match will pan out. They score first then it is going to be uphill for us. We score first hopefully we will go on to pick up 3 points. Heart says 2 1 to us. Head says 1 all. No matter how it goes let's get PP rocking (disappointing on Wednesday) and send the 'Gas' back to Bristol with 'good memories of the day' and no points. UTR!