Derby County v Bristol Rovers Saturday 29 October 2022

Gritstone Ram

I can't figure it out...

Is it a 4-4-2?

Wildsmith/ Smith Cashin Forsyth Roberts/ NML Bird Hourihane Dobbin/ McGoldrick Collins?

Or a 4-2-3-1?

Wildsmith/ Smith Cashin Forsyth Roberts/ Bird Hourihane/ NML McGoldrick Dobbin/ Collins?

Or a 3-5-2?

Wildsmith / Cashin Forsyth Roberts/ NML Bird Smith Hourihane Dobbin/ McGoldrick Collins?

Any ideas?

1 minute ago, Black ('n' White) Sheep said:

Seem to have gone to a back 4!

Looks like:

Wildsmith
       Smith  Cashin  Forsyth  Roberts
Mendez-Laing  Bird  Hourihane  Dobbin
                Collins  McGoldrick

Bird and Hourihane in CM?????

bbc running GIF by britbox

6 minutes ago, jameso said:

I can't figure it out...

Is it a 4-4-2?

Wildsmith/ Smith Cashin Forsyth Roberts/ NML Bird Hourihane Dobbin/ McGoldrick Collins?

Or a 4-2-3-1?

Wildsmith/ Smith Cashin Forsyth Roberts/ Bird Hourihane/ NML McGoldrick Dobbin/ Collins?

Or a 3-5-2?

Wildsmith / Cashin Forsyth Roberts/ NML Bird Smith Hourihane Dobbin/ McGoldrick Collins?

Any ideas?

4-2-4

Dobbin and NML should be given licence to attack 

2 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

When will the penny drop ?

Hourihane-Smith-Bird (with Smith in the middle to keep the other two away from each other) might be OK but if he's going with that today I can't find a player for every other position.

Well, as a midfield pairing it can surely only get better (? ?)

3 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

When will the penny drop ?

I suppose we’re guessing and it could be Smith, Bird and Hourihane. That still doesn’t work particularly well but offers more than just the two.

When Knights out we just struggle to compete in the middle of the park against solid League 1 midfields.

We may have technical superiority, but that can easily be snuffed out by the opposition for the bulk of the game!

12 minutes ago, jameso said:

I can't figure it out...

Is it a 4-4-2?

Or a 4-2-3-1?

Or a 3-5-2?

Any ideas?

I think it’s a 1-10

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

N.B. Don't click the video if offended by swearing.

As much as I've never wanted Warnock as Derby manager. I have a tradition of sending this to all my Derby supporting friends and family on match days.

Whatever style you want to play, that message hold true through them all.

12 minutes ago, jameso said:

I can't figure it out...

Is it a 4-4-2?

Or a 4-2-3-1?

Or a 3-5-2?

Any ideas?

Don’t think it’ll be 3 at the back. The only ones who would be able to play LWB are Forsyth and Robert’s and there isn’t anyone else to fill in at CB.

My guess is lining up 4-4-2 with McGoldrick playing deeper to link up the play. So maybe closer to a 4-5-1 when we’re defending.

Midfield seems a bit lightweight but hopefully the back 4 works well together and Cashin has another excellent game.

56 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Surely Stearman has played the RCB role in a back 3 before? I don't see why it would be any different today. Plus I would say Forsyth is more of a left back and Roberts more of a centre back, , so if we're going to a back 4 I'd consider swapping those 2 round.

Stearman is slow, iffy in possession and looks uncomfortable when dragged out wide. Not traits you want in one of the wider cbs of a three.

21 minutes ago, Black ('n' White) Sheep said:

Seem to have gone to a back 4!

Looks like:

Wildsmith
       Smith  Cashin  Forsyth  Roberts
Mendez-Laing  Bird  Hourihane  Dobbin
                Collins  McGoldrick

Lol. Warne has picked a back 4 with none of them in their preferred positions? It gets better.

4-2-3-1 more likely?

Bird and Hourihane, of course. *eyesroll*

Would have preferred Osula to Dobbin.

Edited by RoyMac5