Derby County v Bristol Rovers Saturday 29 October 2022

Gritstone Ram

8 hours ago, Carnero said:

Isn't this a complete myth?

All I heard was Warne in his radio interview say "James Chester said he felt his calf".

What exactly is wrong with that?

I don’t get where all this questioning whether Barks and Chester are really injured has come from either.  I’ve listened to his post match interview a couple times and doesn’t say anything that made me think he was questioning whether they were really injured.

Edited by FlyBritishMidland

9 hours ago, FlyBritishMidland said:

I don’t get where all this questioning whether Barks and Chester are really injured has come from either.  I’ve listened to his post match interview a couple times and doesn’t say anything that made me think he was questioning whether they were really injured.

People are spinning things to add to their argument for some reason, just like including cup games to make it look like Rosenior's win % is way higher than Warne's, when in the league it is LR 44% & PW 40% ?

13 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

He probably doesn't but he's approaching necessity as the CBs are dropping like flies and the others who might be preferred at RB are either injured or needed even more urgently elsewhere. 

If Rooney was going to be played this weekend, we would have seen him come on for Chester. Likewise with Oduroh when shifting to a back 4 with Smith at RB.

30 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

If Rooney was going to be played this weekend, we would have seen him come on for Chester. Likewise with Oduroh when shifting to a back 4 with Smith at RB.

Impossible to tell from a warm-up of course but Rooney at half-time looked every inch the professional footballer.

His control and range of passing was great and if you were a neutral he would have been the one you expected to be brought off the bench.

We have a few ‘senior’ players who are mis-firing and I would be seriously tempted to give the lad a go.

I’d then instruct Bird not to be in our half unless he’s defending a set piece!

35 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Impossible to tell from a warm-up of course but Rooney at half-time looked every inch the professional footballer.

His control and range of passing was great and if you were a neutral he would have been the one you expected to be brought off the bench.

We have a few ‘senior’ players who are mis-firing and I would be seriously tempted to give the lad a go.

I’d then instruct Bird not to be in our half unless he’s defending a set piece!

Have you listened to the interview with Bird on the website? He is being told to get much further forward and knows he needs to do more.

What I'm not sure of is who is doing the defensive midfield role instead? Rooney is a good shout, imo, especially if Smith is at fullback.

40 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

This is going to be a very difficult game. We have to realise that for most teams in this division coming to play at Pride Park against us is their cup final. They are bringing far more fans than normal and the whole fixture is a day out.  We really need to be at our best. 

Fixed that for you:

This is going to be a very difficult game. It seems we're not as good as we may have thought we are and we can expect pretty much every game to be difficult.

8 minutes ago, angieram said:

Have you listened to the interview with Bird on the website? He is being told to get much further forward and knows he needs to do more.

What I'm not sure of is who is doing the defensive midfield role instead? Rooney is a good shout, imo, especially if Smith is at fullback.

Yes, we’d love to have Bielik of course but Rooney could easily fill the DM/ third CB role.

Also, Hourihane (until Knight returns) could be asked to play more of a Huddlestone role, lying deeper and playing more incisive passes rather than being overrun as he is now.

I think McGoldrick and Collins are worth playing together because they both come to collect the ball rather than relying on the quick ball which suits Osula and Dobbin with their pace.

Wippee! Another completely inexperienced ref lined up for his big day out.

Match Officials

Martin Coy will take charge of Saturday's contest and will be assisted by Anthony Da Costa and Marc Wilson.

The officiating team is made complete by Lee Freeman, who is on fourth official duties.

Coy has been in the middle for just four games so far this season and one in Sky Bet League One. He's handed out 10 yellow cards, one red card and awarded one penalty across those four matches.

43 minutes ago, angieram said:

Interesting isn't it? Told to be more aggressive and instinctive too. Told to add goals and assists. All the right type of feedback I reckon, just not sure he can do those things with any regularity. Had to laugh when he spoke about his box to box engine! Perhaps a Flymo engine.

I'm critical of Bird as I just don't think he fits, but I'd be delighted to see him effect games.

As you say, a more advanced role means we need someone like Smith or Rooney to cover. Think Warne wants them to adjust dynamically to cover each rather than have a sitting player. That will take time and good reading of the game to get right.

Edited by Andrew3000

3 minutes ago, angieram said:

Wippee! Another completely inexperienced ref lined up for his big day out.

Match Officials

Martin Coy will take charge of Saturday's contest and will be assisted by Anthony Da Costa and Marc Wilson.

The officiating team is made complete by Lee Freeman, who is on fourth official duties.

Coy has been in the middle for just four games so far this season and one in Sky Bet League One. He's handed out 10 yellow cards, one red card and awarded one penalty across those four matches.

I can see rams fans building the Wicker Man now ?

Wildsmith

Rooney   Cashin   Forsyth   Roberts

Smith

NML    Hourihane   Dobbin

Collins   Osula

Attack the best form of defence right now, 4-1-3-2