Ipswich v Derby (A) Matchday Thread - ‘and it’s live’

i-Ram

3 minutes ago, Mckram said:

To be honest I think the summer signings were just getting bodies through the door. Weren’t we in preseason with absolutely nobody?

I think it’s 100% going to be a rebuild. Signing how many players over the age of 30 was never us building for the future, it was getting a team that can compete in league 1 whilst spending no money. For a while I was worried that we would go straight down to league 2 as we would be playing kids. 

What would you have preferred this summer? We bide our time and only sign players that fitted a 5 year plan?

We survived as a club and fair play to Rosenior for getting anyone through the door he could. I won’t be pointing figures at anyone within the club if they hold their hands up and admit any of this summers signings were wrong. 

I’m not sure I agree with you about the summer signings. I thought they were all similar types of players who seemed to fit fairly well into a system that Liam Rosenior wanted to play. They didn’t seem like a random bunch. 

I think that, looking at the players we can put out, we should be expecting far better than what we saw tonight. We offered absolutely nothing. I don’t think that the position the club was in 3/4 months ago has much bearing now, the world of football just moves so fast. We have a team that should be more than competitive. Hopefully things turn around for Warne as he seems a good bloke, but he’s going to have to change tactics to get much out of this team. 

2 minutes ago, plymouthram said:

Will that be next season from League two, well we are currently 8 points off relegation and an unlucky 13 off automatic promotion this season.

If you think we're going to get promoted automatically this season with that group of players then you need to give the crack pipe a rest for a while 

Warne needs to stop being stubborn. We don't have the players for a 352. If he wants to play that then he is going to have to dip into the transfer market in January. Until then, play a 433 which suits what we've got. Watching Barkhuizen running back to his own goal trying to defend made me want to turn the game off.

10 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Commentators reckon Hourihane is a cheat code in League 1

And pundits are impressed that as soon as Davies plays a through ball for them, Ipswich are on the front foot.

And it was a "great finish" with "still a lot to do" 

How the feck do you persevere with this sport? 

The woman pundit didn’t have a clue. She said if wildsmith had stayed on his line he wouldn’t have scored. Did she not see the other striker waiting for a pass across to tap in. 

8 minutes ago, LittleEatonRam said:

Speaking for myself I'm not scapegoating players but I am little fed up of listening to how good certain players are despite them rarely showing it.

In the case of Sibley none of our managers seem to have been enamoured with him, and there is usually a good reason for that. As for giving him game time that is not always a luxury a team can afford; how many matches does he have to be a passenger for until he hits form?

Bird has more about him but for a sitting midfielder never seems to get a grip of the game. He's young but it's no good if he can't assert himself in midfield.

Sibley was one of our better players tonight and played very well at Accrington. Not sure why you are picking him out for criticism. Other than Wildsmith and Cashin, nobody really had an outstanding game for us tonight.

I ask the question, is our team terrible.

Is pw terrible, he got Rotherham promoted 3 times from this league, so I'd have thought we would be doing better.

If the issue is the tactics, how's that possible, considering he got Rotherham promoted 3 times from this league.

4 minutes ago, Mckram said:

To be honest I think the summer signings were just getting bodies through the door. Weren’t we in preseason with absolutely nobody?

I think it’s 100% going to be a rebuild. Signing how many players over the age of 30 was never us building for the future, it was getting a team that can compete in league 1 whilst spending no money. For a while I was worried that we would go straight down to league 2 as we would be playing kids. 

What would you have preferred this summer? We bide our team and only sign players that fitted a 5 year plan?

We survived as a club and fair play to Rosenior for getting anyone through the door he could. I won’t be pointing figures at anyone within the club if they hold their hands up and admit any of this summers signings were wrong. 

We signed good players for this level - some really good players. I assumed the point was to play them in a system that got the most out of them, and also suited the young players we'd managed to keep (and who had played that way for years), with a view to getting promoted either this season or (at the latest) next? I certainly didn't realise they were 'bodies through the door' whose job was to simply keep us in this league until Paul Warne arrived, sold them all, and the 'real' rebuild began!

Hourihane, NML, Barkhuizen, McGoldrick - all of them could easily have been playing a level above League One. They aren't 'bodies through the door', and it's insulting to them (and Rosenior and Clowes for that matter) to suggest otherwise.

Really don’t get all the vitriol I’m seeing online.

Any other night it finishes 0-0 and we go home relatively happy with a point away from home against a side in the top 2 with two home games up next.

The performance wasn’t horrific some are making out, I’m not having that. We stood strong defensively in the main other than Davies’s misjudgment which lead to the goal.

We’ve got a cobbled together squad fresh out of 18 months of hell which included an administration yet some think we should be this perfect team and club. There is really no point sticking the knife in after every defeat or disappointing performance.

Huge amount of perspective is needed IMO.

Onto Tuesday night where we look to put things right. ?

10 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

You've pretty much named the players we have in the squad with ability to craft a goal for themselves or others .  Pains me to say your right.  Perhaps we should get a new manager who doesn't want to play Rotherham rollerball and we can keep the players instead.  Is there someone out there who can set up a team to play the opposition rather than a system.  It smells of Jewell to me. great at smaller clubs like Bradford and Wigan.  w*** at Wednesday and Derby.   

Thing is, I do think there's a world in which Warne tweaks his preferred system slightly and gets this team playing well. But I don't think it's 3-5-2 with NML and Barkhuizen as wing backs. I hope he's up to it but tonight was depressing. 

3 minutes ago, Oldben said:

Is pw terrible, he got Rotherham promoted 3 times from this league, so I'd have thought we would be doing better.

If the issue is the tactics, how's that possible, considering he got Rotherham promoted 3 times from this league.

Round pegs in square holes

3 minutes ago, Oldben said:

First time I’ve seen a poster arguing with himself on a post. I’ll have to try it 

2 minutes ago, DCFC_Sloth said:

I’m not sure I agree with you about the summer signings. I thought they were all similar types of players who seemed to fit fairly well into a system that Liam Rosenior wanted to play. They didn’t seem like a random bunch.

I think we clearly struggled to get of all the players we wanted, right back being the obvious issue. But as you say, it’s very obvious that we were building towards a 433/4231 possession-based system. Literally the antithesis of the the way Warne wants us to play.

The really frustrating thing for me is that we will never have a better chance to build a team from scratch. There’s nobody here that doesn’t want to be here. There’s no leftovers from a previous managers style. We had the chance to decide exactly what we wanted to be and then go and do it. And we’ve absolutely ****ed that chance.

2 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Sibley was one of our better players tonight and played very well at Accrington. Not sure why you are picking him out for criticism. Other than Wildsmith and Cashin, nobody really had an outstanding game for us tonight.

Didn't see that. His touch, speed and final balls were poor. You were right about the other players though. 

2 minutes ago, DCFC_Sloth said:

I think that, looking at the players we can put out, we should be expecting far better than what we saw tonight. We offered absolutely nothing. I don’t think that the position the club was in 3/4 months ago has much bearing now, the world of football just moves so fast. We have a team that should be more than competitive. Hopefully things turn around for Warne as he seems a good bloke, but he’s going to have to change tactics to get much out of this team. 

I get he had preferred style of players, but Rosenior even admitted that they lost a lot of players from the takeover dragging on.

Warne and Rosenior have very different styles. Even if Warne adopts a new style of play to suit the players, that isn’t going to happen in 6 games or whatever it’s been.

I just wish fans would give him this season as a minimum without getting on his back. I’m so fed up of new managers and everyone thinking that will solve everything.