Cambridge Utd v Derby (A) matchday thread

archram

23 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Are you saying they looked good then?

Based on yesterday's performance, which is what I'm referring to, I can't see them finishing in the top 10.

No was comparing and contrasting with our relative league position.

If you say they are poor and they were above us in the table before yesterday's game what does that say about our performances before yesterday 

1 hour ago, angieram said:

Thanks. Brian might not think so, talking as usual! 

It's a shame you're not on there. Lucy is and she was almost next door to you.

I saw the guy taking the photos, assumed he was from Derby. Good service, do they do it every week? 

I have to say, the Cambridge stewards were excellent,  helping put the flags up, happy to answer questions and moved out of the way when asked. 

No idea as havent been there since 1983! Derby or nothing for me. I didnt want photo taken so glared at him so glad he took the hint! 

Speaking to the bloke next to me (as you do), we agreed Cambridge were the most route 1 team we have played so far. They were far inferior technically but they were big and strong. Can understand why they play that way therefore. Well deserved win for us including the bits of luck you always need....

6 hours ago, duncanjwitham said:

I’d expect Roberts and Forsyth to be the other way around tbh.  Forsyth is very much a winger who dropped back to fullback, whereas Roberts looks much more like a centre half moved over to me. Obviously they can both do both roles, but Forsyth is much better going forward, which matters more in this system.

Thing is I don't really think we've got anyone at the club who is perfect for either wing back slot really. The demands on the wing back with the way are setting up are enormous. They are expected to be the plan A of attack without really any wide support and also expected to get back to cover defensively if need be. It needs someone very good in 1v1s, has a good cross and a massive engine.

Forsyth - Is a bit too old and his legs aren't quite what they were. Would have been perfect 5+ years ago. His crossing can be inconsistent but its probably the best we have and he does have the ability to put some very dangerous crossing in. He's also not the most likely to beat his man 1v1.

Roberts - Nominally more a defensive left back/left centre back. Has got pace, stamina and is comfortable in midfield areas though.

NML - He's really a winger and isn't the best crosser (especially from deep). Excellent ball carrier though and can cause havoc. Probably ok if we can compensate for him defensiveley a bit and allow him license to run infield.

Barkhuizen- Similar really to NML. Also add that with both of them they got disheartened playing wing back at other clubs. Question marks over his stamina.

Odurah - Probably the most suited to RWB in the squad in the long run. Quite possibly not ready for first team football just just yet.

Knight - Would probably play the role well but is clearly earmarked for midfield.

For now NML or Barkhuizen are likely the best options for RWB. LWB is tricky though especially as just inside is likely Hourihane who doesn't have the engine he once did. Fozzy might leave you lethargic on one side. Roberts might leave you a bit too blunt. Barkhuizen might leave you too open and too little options to change things on the right.

37 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

Thing is I don't really think we've got anyone at the club who is perfect for either wing back slot really. The demands on the wing back with the way are setting up are enormous. They are expected to be the plan A of attack without really any wide support and also expected to get back to cover defensively if need be. It needs someone very good in 1v1s, has a good cross and a massive engine.

Forsyth - Is a bit too old and his legs aren't quite what they were. Would have been perfect 5+ years ago. His crossing can be inconsistent but its probably the best we have and he does have the ability to put some very dangerous crossing in. He's also not the most likely to beat his man 1v1.

Roberts - Nominally more a defensive left back/left centre back. Has got pace, stamina and is comfortable in midfield areas though.

NML - He's really a winger and isn't the best crosser (especially from deep). Excellent ball carrier though and can cause havoc. Probably ok if we can compensate for him defensiveley a bit and allow him license to run infield.

Barkhuizen- Similar really to NML. Also add that with both of them they got disheartened playing wing back at other clubs. Question marks over his stamina.

Odurah - Probably the most suited to RWB in the squad in the long run. Quite possibly not ready for first team football just just yet.

Knight - Would probably play the role well but is clearly earmarked for midfield.

For now NML or Barkhuizen are likely the best options for RWB. LWB is tricky though especially as just inside is likely Hourihane who doesn't have the engine he once did. Fozzy might leave you lethargic on one side. Roberts might leave you a bit too blunt. Barkhuizen might leave you too open and too little options to change things on the right.

I think forsith can make some players look silly at times.

1 hour ago, Tyler Durden said:

If you say they are poor and they were above us in the table before yesterday's game what does that say about our performances before yesterday 

If the comparison you make was after 23 games it may have some relevance but before yesterday when Cambridge stood above us having played 10 games to our nine, the relevance was SFA. The highest placed team that Cambridge has now taken points from is Exeter in 11th place (W 2-1). They have also beaten MK Dons, Burton and Lincoln at home and Morecambe away and drawn at Charlton, all of whom are in the lower half of the table, as are Oxford and Cheltenham who beat Cambridge. Cambridge have only played three sides now  from the top eight teams - Derby, Barnsley and Portsmouth and lost to them all.

The only relevance your false narrative has is that it it snugly fits your glass half-empty approach to all things Derby County.

BTW the only table of any relevance in making comparisons with other teams is the one published when all teams have completed 46 games.

2 minutes ago, Brailsford Ram said:

BTW the only table of any relevance in making comparisons with other teams is the one published when all teams have completed 46 games.

If you seriously believe that then you're totally deluded.

If that was the case then they'd be no managerial sackings whatsoever until the close season. Which obviously is very, very far from reality. But anyway. 

2 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

It might say nothing about our performances before yesterday. It might just say Cambridge were poor yesterday (they were) but have played better in previous games (I don't know, I've not seen them play). 

It's not unusual for a surprise team to make a good start and then fall away.

Perhaps I should have been more precise and said "Cambridge were a poor side yesterday".

10 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

It might say nothing about our performances before yesterday. It might just say Cambridge were poor yesterday (they were) but have played better in previous games (I don't know, I've not seen them play). 

Perhaps I should have been more precise and said "Cambridge were a poor side yesterday".

My fault, interpreted your comments as being that you thought Cambridge were a poor side per se. 

5 hours ago, HorsforthRam said:

Didn’t particularly enjoy the first half. Thought we lacked composure in vital areas and were a little rushed. The goal just before half time changed the complexion.  

Had we scored our second on 70 mins I think we’d have got a couple more. I think the most pleasing thing was that this was the first game that the opposition didn’t really have a spell in the game and that’s a great sign. 

It was interesting wasn’t it. They had their moments and the odd chance/opportunity but they were snuffed out. There wasn’t a period in the game where you could say they were in the ascendancy and threatening our goal. And whilst we where direct and pretty forceful, we didn’t look tidy, neat and slick for any length of time, but we won and comfortably. 

I watched at a mates house with Cambs commentary .. they are a lot more “supportive” than RD 

5 hours ago, angieram said:

Thanks. Brian might not think so, talking as usual! 

It's a shame you're not on there. Lucy is and she was almost next door to you.

I saw the guy taking the photos, assumed he was from Derby. Good service, do they do it every week? 

I have to say, the Cambridge stewards were excellent,  helping put the flags up, happy to answer questions and moved out of the way when asked. 

The one that I’m cut in half ?

2 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

If I am honest, apart from the “big” teams, Cambs played exactly as I expected a league one mid table side to play. Big and strong, direct. Some skill but errors aplenty to go with mixed endeavour and work rate of the same ilk. The sort of team you expect to get a point against away from home. We got all 3 and deserved them. So yes, they were below par yesterday. We on the other hand showed gumption, skill, work, and adaptability.

4 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

If you seriously believe that then you're totally deluded.

If that was the case then they'd be no managerial sackings whatsoever until the close season. Which obviously is very, very far from reality. But anyway. 

Tyler Durden said:

Posted 7 hours ago

I work near Melton Mowbray (don't ask) which geographically is midway between Leicester and Nottingham.The workforce is a pretty even split of Fester and Florest fans, both sets of contingents are equally crapping it about the result tomorrow. If you listen to the hyperbole unless it's a draw then half of the factory isn't going to show up for work on Tuesday morning. 

Isolated as you are, you've seemingly become a victim of Stockholm Syndrome whereby your only loyalty is to your captors with whom you have come to sympathise. Hence your antipathy to Derby County - you have effectively joined the enemy. Your delusion is now transparent. I hope our upward turn is not too painful for you.

1 hour ago, kevinhectoring said:

Notably Cashin staying on the pitch  

Hope the EFl/ref conspiracy brigade have marked that on their scorecards 

Did you think it was a foul?

Do you think he didn't touch the ball?

5 hours ago, brady1993 said:

I wonder if Smith can do a job at RWB too, until Jan at least alongside NML, Oduroh & Knight. I do think Roberts & Fozzy are capable of playing LWB