Cambridge Utd v Derby (A) matchday thread

archram

14 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

I wonder if Smith can do a job at RWB too, until Jan at least alongside NML, Oduroh & Knight. I do think Roberts & Fozzy are capable of playing LWB

As emergency cover he probably could. But the thing is we are expecting the wing backs to do a lot from an attacking sense. The plan is essentially to try to get them 1v1, trust they can beat their man and then everyone else gets in the box pretty much.

It'd be asking probably too much of Smith from an attacking sense.

54 minutes ago, sage said:

Did you think it was a foul?

Do you think he didn't touch the ball?

the replays on the highlights show the ball went (continued) in the direction the forward kicked it (dinked it) so no I think EC did not touch the ball. And I think he took the forward's right foot. No not took, scythed, Tommy Smith comes to mind

The ref had to decide in real time. Bradley was surprised nothing was done and so was forum correspondent ghost of clough. Most refs I think would have given a yellow more likely a red. Whether he touched the ball or not, he was lucky. If he'd seen red who knows what the result would have been

Bradley said the Cambridge players did not appeal.  Actually some of them did but I think the ref just quickly told them ' no, he got the ball'   And there was lots of booing from the locals - well, booing from the town, the gown were shouting things in Latin 

(Also, I don't think it's right to say that if he touched the ball then he's off the hook.  If he mows through the player to get to the ball, that's a foul)

Edited by kevinhectoring

5 hours ago, brady1993 said:

Thing is I don't really think we've got anyone at the club who is perfect for either wing back slot really. The demands on the wing back with the way are setting up are enormous. They are expected to be the plan A of attack without really any wide support and also expected to get back to cover defensively if need be. It needs someone very good in 1v1s, has a good cross and a massive engine.

yes we miss nathan byrne, the tupe expert    But if we don't have that player, on either side of the pitch, why on earth would we set up that way ??

16 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

the replays on the highlights show the ball went (continued) in the direction the forward kicked it (dinked it) so no I think EC did not touch the ball. And I think he took the forward's right foot. No not took, scythed, Tommy Smith comes to mind

The ref had to decide in real time. Bradley was surprised nothing was done and so was forum correspondent ghost of clough. Most refs I think would have given a yellow more likely a red. Whether he touched the ball or not, he was lucky. If he'd seen red who knows what the result would have been

Bradley said the Cambridge players did not appeal.  Actually some of them did but I think the ref just quickly told them ' no, he got the ball'   And there was lots of booing from the locals - well, booing from the town, the gown were shouting things in Latin 

(Also, I don't think it's right to say that if he touched the ball then he's off the hook.  If he mows through the player to get to the ball, that's a foul)

He has got his foot across the front of the player and kicked it onto the forward. There is no other way the ball loops off like that, miles in front of them both.

The Cambridge commentators didn't think it was a foul.

22 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

Yep, looks a clear foul. Hope the usual suspects on the forum aren't moaning about the ref in this match ?

6 minutes ago, sage said:

He has got his foot across the front of the player and kicked it onto the forward. There is no other way the ball loops off like that, miles in front of them both.

hmmm I just went to the highlights - the angles aren't ideal but I'm not seeing it the way you are. Anyway that doesn't matter, the truth is - especially in this league - the ref could have done anything 

49 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

hmmm I just went to the highlights - the angles aren't ideal but I'm not seeing it the way you are. Anyway that doesn't matter, the truth is - especially in this league - the ref could have done anything 

In the extended six minutes highlights there is a view from behind the goal. That clears it up. 

Did anyone else on here have the 'pleasure' of sitting about halfway up, to the side of the goal where you looked down our left wing in the first half?

In 50 years of watching football I have never come across a more negative fan - big, foul-mouthed old bloke wearing just a rams shirt.

He could have really spoilt the afternoon with his negativity an unpleasantness......but became a bit of a figure of fun.

Constant "You are ******* garbage Derby" but littered with gems.

"Why is he playing Claude Davis, he's ***** garbage" (yes Claude)

"I'm not wasting my money on this ****** garbage" (but he was)

"Derby have been ****** garbage since Cloughie left" (Brian)

Thankfully, he'd "had enough of this ****** garbage" by the 44th minute and missed Collins' ****** garbage goal!

Second half followed a similar theme but his did bless us with simply the best 'insult' I've ever heard at a match.

Mixing his pay and achievements, he blurted out "you are biggest bunch of over-achieving b8stards I've ever seen". Priceless.

He celebrated the second goal from "Derby's worst ever striker" with great gusto so hope he's now a fan.

Edited by Ian Buxton's Bat
spelling

11 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

Red card all day long in todays game, But then again Thiago was let off for Chelsea against Palace with a blatent handball and they have VAR.

You're right, Whether he got a slight touch or not he cut him down, This is what League1 is about, Very physical and refs who aren't influenced by TV and Var and not as yet inline for promotion to their promised land.

2 minutes ago, Unlucky Alf said:

Red card all day long in todays game, But then again Thiago was let off for Chelsea against Palace with a blatent handball and they have VAR.

You're right, Whether he got a slight touch or not he cut him down, This is what League1 is about, Very physical and refs who aren't influenced by TV and Var and not as yet inline for promotion to their promised land.

If he didn't touch the ball and didn't get the man it was no foul.

10 hours ago, sage said:

That's exactly what I saw from the replays, but it was only the shot from behind our goal that confirmed for me that it wasn't a foul, so kudos to the officials for calling it correctly without having that angle available to them. 

Edit : I do think though that in the Championship, that would have been given as a foul and a red card. In the PL, VAR could have called it either way. 

Edited by Crewton

1 hour ago, Ian Buxton's Bat said:

Did anyone else on here have the 'pleasure' of sitting about halfway up, to the side of the goal where you looked down our left wing in the first half?

In 50 years of watching football I have never come across a more negative fan - big, foul-mouthed old bloke wearing just a rams shirt.

He could have really spoilt the afternoon with his negativity an unpleasantness......but became a bit of a figure of fun.

Thankfully, he'd "had enough of this ****** garbage" by the 44th minute and missed Collins' ****** garbage goal!

Second half followed a similar theme but his did bless us with simply the best 'insult' I've ever heard at a match.

Mixing his pay and achievements, he blurted out "you are biggest bunch of over-achieving b8stards I've ever seen". Priceless.

He celebrated the second goal from "Derby's worst ever striker" with great gusto so hope he's now a fan.

"big, foul-mouthed old bloke wearing just a rams shirt"

Only a shirt . . . . .Not a pleasant sight. I have a horrible image that I can't unsee right now.

Edited by StrawHillRam

57 minutes ago, Unlucky Alf said:

Just a bit of fun...1st picture EC has both feet off the floor...dangerous tackle

image.png.33dc8260034db77f85418e8915c90356.png

2nd picture...did he get the ball?

image.png.86be1ca5dd447cf88d1dbb91f3eca8d2.png

And 3rd...he stops the player from moving forward so at least a foul

image.png.9d301d79ebb9bad8bb6b2ea35bc16515.png

Brought to you by Alf TV Editing ?

I don't think it's a problem if his trailing leg is off the ground - it's still a one footed tackle? 

1 hour ago, Ian Buxton's Bat said:

Yes, sorry about that. I couldn't help myself.

Seriously though, I think I know who you mean. If it's the same person, he was standing in the row behind me about 6 seats further in. I think he'd had a bit too much to drink as he was unsteady getting into the row and was holding on to my shoulder.

Everything that's wrong about supporting a football team: talking rubbish, constantly criticising the team and feels the need to get drunk in order to attend an away game.