Paul Warne appointed as Head Coach

Nuwtfly

Didn't work out for Liam but the trends in results and performances have not been moving in his favour. 

Difficult decision for the club with high level of uncertainty either way. 

All conditions which are guaranteed to get a bunch of opinionated contrarians worked up into a frenzy of opposing views. 

Controversy....the very lifeblood of a forum. 

Personally I reckon @Davidhas been stirring the pot..... ?

If we get Warne at the start of the season people would be jumping for joy. The fact is time scales didn’t allow for it, we were already behind on transfer dealings but luckily LR had already been having some conversations and ticking things over. There’s no way Clowes could have changed the managerial team that early. Now he’s given LR a chance he obviously feels we need to go in a different direction. Poster saying about how LR signed these players, Warne might want different but we literally signed the best players available to us due to our restrictions, I highly doubt the M.O would have deviated much had Warne been in situ.

Sorry but WTAF! is wrong with our club and the people who run it/own it?

Rotherham's manager!! Rotherham!!!

Liam Rosenior has spent the summer assembling a very decent squad in L1 or indeed the Championship.

And we sit essentially in the play-offs, and with not even 10 games played he's moved aside(unless he doesn't want the gig?)

Utterly ridiculous. I could maybe... just maybe...? understand if Arsene Wenger or some other managerial legend was making a come back?

But a guy who bounces his team between L1 and the Championship. Madness!!

However I suppose that after 50+ years supporting this great club I shouldn't expect anything different!

6 hours ago, Andicis said:

Rotherham have by far the smallest budget in the Championship and are presently sitting in 8th. He was unlucky to get relegated the season we escaped. Could have easily survived. 

Luton were 3 points off relegation their first season back in the Championship. Surviving the first year counts for everything, but is often decided by a bit of luck. Blackpool did well. That being said, let's not pretend that most clubs that come up have amazing success at staying up. The circumstances are a mitigating factor, if we are being reasonable. 

Rosenior has not shown evidence of being a success, I'm sorry but I just can't accept that. He's done okay. We have a lot of good players at this level and are sitting just outside the playoffs. The football is a bit slow and toothless. We haven't ever really gotten going, we just have been saved by moments of quality from good players. The Arthur Cox comparison is completely unfounded. 

About on par with Hull, Preston, Coventry, Blackpool and Wigan last time I checked.

8 minutes ago, ashram said:

Liam Rosenior has spent the summer assembling a very decent squad in L1 or indeed the Championship.

And we sit essentially in the play-offs, and with not even 10 games played he's moved aside(unless he doesn't want the gig?)

Utterly ridiculous. I could maybe... just maybe...? understand if Arsene Wenger or some other managerial legend was making a come back?

However I suppose that after 50+ years supporting this great club I shouldn't expect anything different!

If you hadn't noticed, we are presently **in** league one and need to bounce back. 

As for the comments about him having been Rotherham's manager, that is pure snobbery. 

14 minutes ago, ashram said:

I largely agree with you, however, last lesson he promoted rotherham from league one. He has recent success in getting a team promoted, Rotherham had a strong team last season.

Warnes bouncing around between leagues hasn't been that great.

Is he worth the very high salary I'm assuming derby will pay him, something close to rooney salary to get him to manage derby?

I think lr has been treated unfairly, but it's not my millions that bailed out derby from near bankruptcy.

1 minute ago, Oldben said:

I largely agree with you, however, last lesson he promoted rotherham from league one. He has recent success in getting a team promoted, Rotherham had a strong team last season.

Warnes bouncing around between leagues hasn't been that great.

Is he worth the very high salary I'm assuming derby will pay him, something close to rooney salary to get him to manage derby?

I think lr has been treated unfairly, but it's not my millions that bailed out derby from near bankruptcy.

You do know we haven’t  scored an away goal in League 1 this season in 4 games in which we got 2 points 

2 hours ago, Oldben said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/football/news/paul-warne-link-huddersfield-town-25074921.amp

Warne dennies interest in championship club Huddersfield job, so why would he be interested in Derby, given our current position, in League one.

The press, have selected a target, given that they have heard a rumour that lr, has been removed from his management duties at Derby.

I've previously gone on record saying that I didn't think that lr was the right man for the job, but he surprised me by winning the last game and he did so by doing something that I wanted him to do. He changed tactics during the game and he won that game.

A great manager in my opinion, is an adaptable one, who learns from his mistakes.

Half way through the summer we didn't have a team that would qualify to play in the league, 10+ players later and given no transfer budget, we are in a different position.

It takes time for thar many players to work together well as a team, and yet through lr leadership, they have.

I believe that under lr's management, we would win the next two games, taking us back in to the higher end of the play off positions.

I see us finishing the season in the play off positions.

Sheffield wednesday, Ipswich and Portsmouth remain the 3 clubs in my opinion who are most likely to be in the automatic promotion places.

We are not guaranteed to sign a better manager than lr.

I think that lr will only get better with time.

If a better manager was ready to sign a contract at the club, then maybe, but who is that better manager.

If lr has a better offer from another club, then that's different again, and I'd call the club foolish for not offering the perm role to lr sooner.

I think that lr should be the manager on a perm basis, given his current form. I would however, like to see him given an experienced older experienced manager as a deputy, to help guide him.

Given his current form hiw can you say that we would be barely hitting playoffs we should be looking for automatic promotion teams have already worked us out, i would love to see LR stay on at the club but just feel like he will never make a manager just always be a very good number 2 just like stevie mac 

I was really surprised by this and my first emotion was to feel very sorry for Liam. He seems like a very nice guy and has put his all into the job. I wish him success wherever he ends up.

On reflection, I can see why DC has made the decision, particularly now. He’s carried out a top to bottom review of the club, like he said he would. I’m speculating but I imagine he said he’d give Liam 9 or 10 games and then assess. The fact we’ve got an international break makes it the right time to review.

So what are the positives / negatives? To me, the positives are:

1. We’re in 7th, level on points with play offs.

2. We’ve looked very good in parts of some games.

3. Liam clearly worked very hard to build a squad and was a big factor in certain players coming on board. The players seem to like him.

4. He’s shown the club loyalty and we really need some stability.

Negatives:

1. We haven’t scored an away league goal all season.

I’m not going to put any other negatives because this is so alarming. We’re 2 1/2 months into the season and we haven’t scored away from home. How can DC carry out a review of the season so far and get past this? Does he hope that we start converting chances?

Is Liam’s style of play conducive to winning in League 1, particularly away from home? I’m really not convinced. We faff around at the back until we’re pressed and then the keeper / Cashin launch a long diagonal with little success. But Liam strongly believes in this philosophy so that is unlikely to change.

I don’t know how to feel about Paul Warne. I’m not going to hold one interview against him when he was clearly emotional so if he comes in, I’ll get right behind him. My worry would be whether the players can quickly adapt to his style of play.

I love the way everyone seems to think they know what’s happening with no actual information - as I said way back when this news was breaking, there’s a fair chance that Liam either wanted more money than the club was willing to pay or was demanding a longer contract than DC was happy with. In either of those scenarios, the only correct course of action is to say to Liam ‘thanks for what you’ve done so far but we’re going to look externally’. The last thing the club needs is to be held to ransom by a relatively untried manager and end up having to pay more than they’re happy with - that’s not being unfair on Liam in any way but is good business….

Didn't LR recruit most of the players we have? I think recruitment under WR and then LR has been good considering, so I hope we can carry that on. If LR leaves who will we have on the recruitment team? 

Also a continuity problem if a lot of players were LR's men and they don't gel with Warne. We had that before with MM's revolving door, but now we haven't got the budget to keep misfits in the reserves.  

10 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

There's more to this than we think. This is not a results or performance decision. I reckon there was some agreement between DC and LR, maybe LR's contract breached Steve Gibsons/Rick Parrys terms of survival and DC had to do the interim thing to buy time.

I just hope we get a honest statement about it after all we have been through. No bullpoo, just tell us the truth so we can move on quickly and continue to get behind the players on the pitch.

Now then, there must be a young Kevin Francis somewhere we can pick up for a song.

I agree but I doubt we’ll ever get the honest statement you’re hoping for. If LR stays then I’m sure he’ll just say something like he was honoured to be asked to take temporary charge but is now very happy to be returning to the coaching side. Whether that’s the full truth we’ll probably never know.

8 hours ago, Andicis said:

Everyone has to start somewhere. He has only managed at Rotherham, fine. That doesn't mean he can't do it elsewhere. Is there risk? Yes, but even appointments lauded by everyone on here such as Cocu were risky. 

Does he have a limiting style of play, or has he never had the facilities to play another way? Tell me, how much how you watched of his teams? Or are you just generalising? 

We're not in a position to be arrogant. First and foremost, we need to get out of League One. Worry about the Championship if we get there. If he's the wrong man if we reach the Championship, we can roll the dice. But we aren't. 

It's massively funny that you dismiss Warne for only experiencing success in one place and saying he lacks pedigree, and yet vouch for Rosenior in the same post. Rosenior is a far bigger risk, in my opinion. 

I really think as a fan base we need to give Warne a fair chance. 

Rosenior has worked for big clubs as a player and manager, he’s also been through our most turbulent times and convinced some of our best young players to stay, he gets it. We’re starting from scratch again with Warne. Warne doesn’t have any experience of these type of clubs. The reason Sunderland and Sheff Utd stayed down was making similar appointments. 

Im not happy with the impending appointment that’s quite clear, Rosenior hasn’t been given a fair chance and personally I think he’s a good longer term bet, we will watch with envy as he goes and takes a club into the premier league, we’ve chucked a good one away. 

However now he looks like he’s in of course I’ll back Warne, he’s said negative stuff about us in the past but can forgive him that, he’s a good guy seems very passionate and committed and someone you want to succeed.

25 minutes ago, Andicis said:

If you hadn't noticed, we are presently **in** league one and need to bounce back. 

As for the comments about him having been Rotherham's manager, that is pure snobbery. 

Correct! So he'd better get this team to at least finish top two. No pressure!!