Paul Warne appointed as Head Coach

Nuwtfly

10 hours ago, SuffolkRam said:

Good question, need some serious numbers in but with the EFL limitations that are imposed on us it’s going to be nigh on impossible.  Of course we could get bodies in the building, but they have to be right and good enough.

We need another GK to push Wildsmith.  dads army at the back might find another year too much, Smith and Sibley have been okay but we need fullbacks, so another 4/5 there.  Another couple of strikers and we need to cover the loans going back to there clubs too.  as you say getting on for 12 easy.

however how many does Warne want rid of, who doesn’t fit his plans going forward?  
How many want to leave?

Just hope relations with the EFL are thawing and we can get some loosening of restrictions.

UTR

It'll interesting to see what the EFL do/say concerning our embargo, With this still in place in the form it's in now I believe the rebuild will be more difficult, We the supporters are looking for progression but with our arms tied getting those players above of quality is going to be a task I don't envy 😬 

1 hour ago, CBRammette said:

Absolutely cant stand him. Nepotism in action. 

Do you feel the same about any footballer / manager who had a successful/famous dad in the sport?

Can't say I've ever paid him too much attention as a person and he may well be a complete nob like his father (and I've just seen that his wife's surname is Noblet 🤣) but nothing about his career other than being at Man Utd as a youth player screams nepotism to me.

He played over 400 games in the lower leagues and stated his managerial career in league two, so whatever leg-up he may have got seems minimal.

....anyway, I wasn't saying I wanted him here just seeing what Milenniumram  thought about a viable alternate to Warne (we don't know if Mowbray would have joined us if we'd asked) and it turns out, pretty much the same.

Edited by Kokosnuss

Won't be a popular school of thought, but next season is the season where we need to get promoted. Happy-clapper I may well be, but if we went up this season with the current restrictions in place, I fear we'd be hideously outgunned. Of course, this season is not over yet, not by a long shot, but I'd not be too upset were we to miss out this year, re-group, plug a few gaps and then hit the Championship the following year with no finance-related monkeys on our back; free of soft or hard embargos, free of debt, free of wage cap, free of EFL business plan... These are surely the sunlit uplands for most Derby fans and the more I think of it, the more I feel that this is probably what Mr Clowes has envisaged as the most achievable and arguably the most optimal route forward.  

For balance, I made it clear from the outset that I had reservations about PW's credentials and how effective his style would be outside of L1, but the good run of form he and the team produced mostly quelled those fears, that is until we came of the rails. As someone who always wants to see managers given time to build a team (something they've not had at Derby for a decade), he remains just about in the black. That said, the argument that Warne has been found out against more canny managers holds water and our record against the better L1 clubs is frankly appalling. At the outset, us doubters were informed that Warne had more than one style and could adapt to our current roster, but that has not proven to be the case, so doubts linger about both his tactical nous, and the suitability of the type of players he might recruit trying to implement it. Put simply, will he recruit a top L1 team for a campaign in the Championship. Equally, will pump it down the channels to the quick lads be an effective strategy in the Championship? I think we need to finish the season as strongly as we can and take stock. There's some big decisions ahead, whatever the outcome and the fairest and most accurate assessment of Warne will be when he has a deeper squad with a full -pre-season in their legs.

A last thought, would be that those sticking small knives into David Clowes really, really need to STFU. Without him there'd be no Derby County. The same people repeatedly tell other folk we need to 'move on' and forget what happened, but they are simply trying to scrub history so they can whine about anything and everything with impunity. While for me, Warne's 'credit' is under review, Mr Clowes retains a 'AAA' rating. I find the lack of appreciation and loyalty in some quarters really depressing, not to mention a bit distasteful.

12 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Hadn’t heard that to be honest, so never really considered him. Think I’d probably class him In the same boat as Warne - that he’s only really had success at one club, and that club isn’t particularly comparable to Derby County at the present time.

Some managers just suit one club and can’t hack it anywhere else - Nathan Jones at Luton springs to mind too. And arguably McClaren at Derby (in terms of English teams, anyway) - ironically, he was sat in front of me at todays game. Make of that what you will. 

So no, don’t think Ferguson would’ve fared any better than Warne personally.

McClaren for Chairman/ figurehead, he’s had every other role.

2 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

That said, the argument that Warne has been found out against more canny managers holds water and our record against the better L1 clubs is frankly appalling.

Just some facts to back this up:

Warne: 2/13 wins against current top half teams.
Rosenior: 3/6 against current top half teams, including play off rivals Barnsley, Peterborough and Wycombe.

Warne has improved our away record, sure, but not one win has come against a team higher than 16th (currently).

34 minutes ago, Jubbs said:

Just some facts to back this up:

Warne: 2/13 wins against current top half teams.
Rosenior: 3/6 against current top half teams, including play off rivals Barnsley, Peterborough and Wycombe.

Warne has improved our away record, sure, but not one win has come against a team higher than 16th (currently).

My favourite bug bear of quoting selective stats to argue a point, those games against rivals Barnsley, Peterborough and Wycombe, you forgot to mention that we were at home in all 3.

Come on then. Let's get rid of our latest manager and get in another. How has that worked out over the last 5 or 6 seasons? For goodness sake let's have some stability and give the guy a chance. Instant success is very rare these days. He has inherited a misfit team of loyal youngsters who just happened to be mid contract,  a couple who signed a new contract and a bunch of freebies and loanees. None of which he had a say in.

Give the guy a chance. 

Edited by BathRam72

Derby County badly need continuity. As long as the team competes and tries to entertain, I'm very content. Some of the Warne football has been dire, however I think this will definitely improve next season.

After everything the club has been through, we need to breathe and just slow down. As much as I want Derby to destroy MK Dons and Burton 6-0, the outlook is we're a club coming out of the worst period of it's history. As Mr Clowes says, it's long term and stabilisation which need to be the key focus. 

As much as I want to be in the Premier League challenging the big boys, I'm quite content. I've had 3 trips to the New Wembley, been to see us beat Manchester United at their ground, beating Leeds in the play offs and watching them cry all the way home, hammering Forest in a 5 nil whitewash. That's been in the space of 10 years. How many other clubs have had that much fun? Granted, I know it's not the same as the good times of the 70s and 90s. I'm in my early 30s, I don't remember winning most weeks in the Premier League. This is all I've known.

I went on a tangent. The main point for me is Paul Warne needs time and his heart is in the right place. Definitely give him at least a full season to judge his abilities.

Since he was appointed we beat Bolton (6th) and Charlton (10th). 

Every other team we’ve beat are in the bottom 10 in the league. 

Our results against the top 8 have been abysmal. It’s clear we are flat track bullies who took advantage of a run of fixtures against poorer teams. 

Like I say we’ll see what happens over summer and who were able to bring in but it’s evident where our shortcomings are. 

34 minutes ago, ram59 said:

My favourite bug bear of quoting selective stats to argue a point, those games against rivals Barnsley, Peterborough and Wycombe, you forgot to mention that we were at home in all 3.

We also played Exeter and Shrewsbury at home and failed to win them under Warne. I'll let Sheff Weds slide as it wasn't a bad result, Ipswich we should've got at least a point. But in terms of quality, that Exeter game is one of the worst I've ever watched.

5 hours ago, Kokosnuss said:

Do you feel the same about any footballer / manager who had a successful/famous dad in the sport?

Can't say I've ever paid him too much attention as a person and he may well be a complete nob like his father (and I've just seen that his wife's surname is Noblet 🤣) but nothing about his career other than being at Man Utd as a youth player screams nepotism to me.

He played over 400 games in the lower leagues and stated his managerial career in league two, so whatever leg-up he may have got seems minimal.

....anyway, I wasn't saying I wanted him here just seeing what Milenniumram  thought about a viable alternate to Warne (we don't know if Mowbray would have joined us if we'd asked) and it turns out, pretty much the same.

It depends what they did in their own right and how doors open due to who they are connected to. 

I like Warne and hope he's successful.

I think he's been flexible in systems (442 vs 352) and in style (long ball rubbish against FGR and decent on the floor stuff vs MK) so I think he will change some things to get results.

I'm not sure if it's his philosophy or a lack of trust in the team - but we don't seem to do shutting  up shop / parking the bus / being hard to score against....ever. 

The open style of play has sort of contributed to this season being very enjoyable but, bloody hell, with goals scored against us on the counter attack, we've chucked some points away .

18 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Come on that’s complete and utter tripe.

Clowes got the appointment of Warne wrong. That doesn’t mean that I don’t still appreciate everything that he’s done for this football club, and continues to do. Everyone makes mistakes, I just feel bad for Clowes that despite working so hard to build a team capable of promotion (which was incredibly difficult), his manager has failed to deliver it.

So basically you are saying that after buying the club the first and most important decision Clowes made - which was appointing a manager - he fudged up. 

If that's not a criticism of Clowes then we live on different planets. 

7 hours ago, CBRammette said:

Absolutely cant stand him. Nepotism in action. 

Your criticism of Darren Ferguson regards nepotism seems rather misplaced.

He played for Wrexham making 310 appearances, scoring 51 goals, captained them to win promotion to Division Two, led the club to its first national trophy (in English football), the Football League Trophy, scoring the second goal in a 2–0 win over Southend United.

Now in his fourth stint of manager at Peterborough he’s racked up over 500 matches in charge with a win percentage at Posh of just under 45%.

League 1 & Championship record of promoted, relegated, promoted, relegated, promoted, relegated.  Paul Warne at Rotherham relegated, promoted, relegated, promoted, relegated, promoted.

Never been sacked at Posh, left by mutual consent twice, resigned at the end of his third stint and the locals still love him.

Nepotism……….if he was related to Barry Fry I’d probably agree.👍