Paul Warne appointed as Head Coach

Nuwtfly

I’ll be clear on my position now that we’ve won a game so I can’t be accused of being reactive or emotional. I don’t think he’s the right man for the job and I think we’ll be in this division for longer because of this appointment. 

I think he’s a good bloke and he’ll sign some good characters and he’ll do his best Alan Partridge interviews to keep some fans happy but I think fundamentally we’re building on a style that won’t keep us moving forwards if we do manage to get out of this division. Just ask Rotherham fans whether they’d take him back ahead of their new manager. 

I hope I’m shown to have egg on my face. I do want him to be successful. 

37 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

I’ll be clear on my position now that we’ve won a game so I can’t be accused of being reactive or emotional. I don’t think he’s the right man for the job and I think we’ll be in this division for longer because of this appointment. 

I think he’s a good bloke and he’ll sign some good characters and he’ll do his best Alan Partridge interviews to keep some fans happy but I think fundamentally we’re building on a style that won’t keep us moving forwards if we do manage to get out of this division. Just ask Rotherham fans whether they’d take him back ahead of their new manager. 

Warne is doing what he has to do this season.   
He has tried different permutations and that’s good on him. 
I think he is doing as well as any manager could do with these players

3 hours ago, IlsonDerby said:

Regards your comments on Millers supporters wanting to take Warne back I've pulled a selection of hopefully balanced comments from the Rotherham fans forum regards Warne:-

I think there are big similarities in how PW and MT set us up from the off in most games, and even though we didnt get to see how the changes MT made, just before and during half time against Cardiff, there is no way PW would have changed any player, unless injured, before the 60 mins mark.

Though Derby performances similar to what we saw at times. Good first half’s, not taking chances. … other side realise what’s going wrong and make changes, warney keeps it the same…why not were doing ok.

Massive similarities to ourselves last season. Our implosion last year was spectacular and easily forgotten because we limped over the line in the last game but we had better players last season than Derby do now and that's what the Derby fans don't get. They think that Warne got us up on a shoestring for League 1 but that is certainly not true.

It seems to me if you have a blueprint and follow it then every item built from that blueprint turns out the same

In PW’s world we know what that blueprint is. Start strong, press hard, pick up points, get injuries, fade in the second half, no plan B then start looking over your shoulder as to who might catch up.

Sometimes nobody catches up and the fans think you’re the best thing since sliced bread

Lot of old key players in that Derby team which given when Warne took the job isn't probably his fault .

They need to get themselves in front in the first half or they are done for against the better teams in league one .

It's not that Derby aren't fit its the fact if they don't land the knock out punch they will lose the fight on points .

He was still a great manager for us and gave us some wonderful times, but i wasn't happy with the way he left and he is at derby whose fans make Wednesday fans look modest.

1 hour ago, Tyler Durden said:

Regards your comments on Millers supporters wanting to take Warne back I've pulled a selection of hopefully balanced comments from the Rotherham fans forum regards Warne:-

I think there are big similarities in how PW and MT set us up from the off in most games, and even though we didnt get to see how the changes MT made, just before and during half time against Cardiff, there is no way PW would have changed any player, unless injured, before the 60 mins mark.

Though Derby performances similar to what we saw at times. Good first half’s, not taking chances. … other side realise what’s going wrong and make changes, warney keeps it the same…why not were doing ok.

Massive similarities to ourselves last season. Our implosion last year was spectacular and easily forgotten because we limped over the line in the last game but we had better players last season than Derby do now and that's what the Derby fans don't get. They think that Warne got us up on a shoestring for League 1 but that is certainly not true.

It seems to me if you have a blueprint and follow it then every item built from that blueprint turns out the same

In PW’s world we know what that blueprint is. Start strong, press hard, pick up points, get injuries, fade in the second half, no plan B then start looking over your shoulder as to who might catch up.

Sometimes nobody catches up and the fans think you’re the best thing since sliced bread

Lot of old key players in that Derby team which given when Warne took the job isn't probably his fault .

They need to get themselves in front in the first half or they are done for against the better teams in league one .

It's not that Derby aren't fit its the fact if they don't land the knock out punch they will lose the fight on points .

He was still a great manager for us and gave us some wonderful times, but i wasn't happy with the way he left and he is at derby whose fans make Wednesday fans look modest.

Doesn’t inspire me 😂

4 hours ago, Curtains said:

Warne is doing what he has to do this season.   
He has tried different permutations and that’s good on him. 
I think he is doing as well as any manager could do with these players

I disagree. I don’t believe any manager should have this group of players in the bottom 4 of the form table (before yesterdays result). 

I don’t think we should demand play offs or promotion but there is so much dross in this division that we shouldn’t be experiencing relegation form over a period of 8-10 matches at any point. I don’t think that’s being entitled. 

10 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

I don’t think we should demand play offs or promotion but there is so much dross in this division that we shouldn’t be experiencing relegation form over a period of 8-10 matches at any point. I don’t think that’s being entitled. 

You're doing the typical anti-manager thing of picking and choosing which period you want to look at and class as "relegation form".

53 points from 31 games in charge isn't relegation form, it's 5th/6th performance.

The people who used to use "xG" the defend results under Rosenior now never mention "xG" under Warne. I'm not a fan of "xG" but I did check the other day and noted that one site has us ranked 3rd in the league for total expected goals and one site has us 4th for "expected results based on xG".

It's called picking and choosing stats to fit your narrative.

For the record I backed Rosenior and was disappointed that he left, and I back Warne too. Both have done a decent enough job this season with the resources available.

1 hour ago, Carnero said:

You're doing the typical anti-manager thing of picking and choosing which period you want to look at and class as "relegation form".

53 points from 31 games in charge isn't relegation form, it's 5th/6th performance.

Okay I get that and if the form was around 1.4 points per game consistently across those 34 games then fair enough but our form over the last 10 has been vile. Do we ignore than because of the first 20 matches? Within those matches also included the zero shots on target surrender to Ipswich away amongst others…

I’m also doing the typical fan thing of looking at the most recent performances and results. 

7 hours ago, IlsonDerby said:

This isn’t me saying he should be sacked by the way it’s me setting my stall out so 18 matches into next season when he’s sacked I can’t be accused of using hindsight 😂

13 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

Okay I get that and if the form was around 1.4 points per game consistently across those 34 games then fair enough but our form over the last 10 has been vile. Do we ignore than because of the first 20 matches? Within those matches also included the zero shots on target surrender to Ipswich away amongst others…

Our form over the last 1 game has been title winning. Do we ignore that because of the first 30 matches? We can all pick and choose stats 😃

1 hour ago, Wolfie20 said:

On that basis the Wendies should sack big Dave then?

have you chosen to ignore the bit where I said I’m not calling for him to be sacked and that I hope I have egg on my face? 

I think Wednesday should ask serious questions of a manager who’s seen them slide from 8(maybe more?) points clear at the top down to third in the space of 10 matches though. Why wouldn’t you? 

Our form over the last 1 game has been title winning. Do we ignore that because of the first 30 matches? We can all pick and choose stats 😃

I know you’re trying to make a point but you’re essentially saying that because over all his tenure has been ‘as expected’ we shouldn’t be concerned at allowing teams who were 7/8 points below us to overtake us in the space of ten matches. Is this really the case? 

4 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

I know you’re trying to make a point but you’re essentially saying that because over all his tenure has been ‘as expected’ we shouldn’t be concerned at allowing teams who were 7/8 points below us to overtake us in the space of ten matches. Is this really the case? 

You can be concerned if you like. Teams are always coming into and out of form over the course of a 46 game season, that's why I prefer to assess a manager over a longer stretch than 8-10 games.

3 hours ago, IlsonDerby said:

I disagree. I don’t believe any manager should have this group of players in the bottom 4 of the form table (before yesterdays result). 

The normal form table of 6 games shows Sheff Wed on 4 points from those 6 games including 3 points from the last 4 games against those the so called dross, Forest Green, Cheltenham, Lincoln and Oxford. You could make the same statement about Darren Moore, incidently, we picked up 13 points from those 6 fixtures.

It's very easy to produce stats, to 'prove' an argument, just like my stats, which are unbalanced.

Edited by ram59
points correction