Paul Warne appointed as Head Coach

Nuwtfly

21 minutes ago, HorsforthRam said:

I understand you don’t think Warne is the right appointment. You’ve also stated elsewhere he has a “small club” mentality. What type of manager do you think Clowes should have appointed? Maybe give some names of managers that fit the type you would have appointed?

I will confirm now that I do not want Warne to be sacked because I like the bloke and think he deserves next season at least but….I know I will get pelters for this but….there is no better manager out there who has a promotion record like Neil Warnock he would’ve been my choice and been unpopular as was  Jim Smith under similar circumstances  …short term maybe to get us out of this dire division but he knows how to get teams promoted 

33 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Come on that’s complete and utter tripe.

Clowes got the appointment of Warne wrong. That doesn’t mean that I don’t still appreciate everything that he’s done for this football club, and continues to do. Everyone makes mistakes, I just feel bad for Clowes that despite working so hard to build a team capable of promotion (which was incredibly difficult), his manager has failed to deliver it.

Another opinion being masqueraded as fact. In your opinion Clowes got the appointment of Warne wrong. What is the evidence that backs this up? Clowes himself says he has a longer term expectation of rebuilding the club, this short-termism you seem keen on hasn’t at any point entered into the publicised discussion of the owner. He has appointed Warne based on his track record at this level, given him a contract with time to build and set expectations of the club being established in the championship within 5 years. The only expectations not being met currently are those of yourself and some other fans.

What are the key attributes of this squad that make it so obviously promotion capable as you’ve stated? I’d argue the lack of striking depth, no recognised right backs, aging and inexperienced centre backs, and a general lack of depth throughout the club contradict your view, capable of promotion? Possibly, but not comparable to the balanced squads of Ipswich, Sheffield Wednesday and Plymouth.

Also, when does the season end? Mathematically the play offs are still possible (though maybe less probable) which in turn means promotion is too.

12 minutes ago, S8TY said:

I will confirm now that I do not want Warne to be sacked because I like the bloke and think he deserves next season at least but….I know I will get pelters for this but….there is no better manager out there who has a promotion record like Neil Warnock he would’ve been my choice and been unpopular as was  Jim Smith under similar circumstances  …short term maybe to get us out of this dire division but he knows how to get teams promoted 

No doubt wily old Warnock knows how to get a tune out of a team. He’s doing well at Huddersfield 

57 minutes ago, The Last Post said:

Serious question Suffolk...how many do you think we need as in player wise for next season in League1 as this is where I expect us to be, 12+ as we need a bigger squad than this season

Good question, need some serious numbers in but with the EFL limitations that are imposed on us it’s going to be nigh on impossible.  Of course we could get bodies in the building, but they have to be right and good enough.

We need another GK to push Wildsmith.  dads army at the back might find another year too much, Smith and Sibley have been okay but we need fullbacks, so another 4/5 there.  Another couple of strikers and we need to cover the loans going back to there clubs too.  as you say getting on for 12 easy.

however how many does Warne want rid of, who doesn’t fit his plans going forward?  
How many want to leave?

Just hope relations with the EFL are thawing and we can get some loosening of restrictions.

UTR

1 hour ago, HorsforthRam said:

I understand you don’t think Warne is the right appointment. You’ve also stated elsewhere he has a “small club” mentality. What type of manager do you think Clowes should have appointed? Maybe give some names of managers that fit the type you would have appointed?

I’d have gone for Tony Mowbray in the summer rather than making Rosenior interim. Got Blackburn up who were in a not too dissimilar state to us, and re-established them in the Championship. That’s a much more relatable experience than what Warne did with Rotherham. Managing a big fish in a small pond is a very different job to managing the perineal underdog.

7 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

I’d have gone for Tony Mowbray in the summer rather than making Rosenior interim. Got Blackburn up who were in a not too dissimilar state to us, and re-established them in the Championship. That’s a much more relatable experience than what Warne did with Rotherham. Managing a big fish in a small pond is a very different job to managing the perineal underdog.

I wanted us to go for Mowbray too. At the time he was the best candidate for the job by quite some distance.

I think this season has gone. We should give Warne the summer to mould the squad and go again next season.

It has got to the stage for me where I think we should cash in on Knight, Bird and Sibley. Use the money to bring in around 8 players who can play Warne ball.

Ipswich actually did similar with a couple or their talented youngsters. They sold Downes and Dozzell to fund several signings.

17 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Rotherham were certainly underdogs, but perineal is a bit below the belt…

42 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

I wanted us to go for Mowbray too. At the time he was the best candidate for the job by quite some distance.

I think this season has gone. We should give Warne the summer to mould the squad and go again next season.

It has got to the stage for me where I think we should cash in on Knight, Bird and Sibley. Use the money to pay the final transfer fee for a bloke who would rather play in a ground not rebuilt since WW2 and 2.5 million owed for his mate who scored 1 goal then went to play soccer ball in the States..

Ipswich actually did similar with a couple or their talented youngsters. They sold Downes and Dozzell to fund several signings.

FTFY

1 hour ago, Millenniumram said:

Think I remember reading that DC also considered Darren Ferguson for the role. Currently looks set to pip us to the post for a play-off spot after rejoining Peterborough (AGAIN).

Just wondering if you have any thoughts on that potential appointment should it have happened? (Not a leading question)

Managed to get Peterborough promoted and keep them in the Championship for 2 seasons, but relegated in the 3rd with the highest points tally on any team going down from that level, but similarly seems to be one of those who struggled a bit at any other club! (though he did get Doncaster promoted from League Two after taking them down)

I think the link was summarily dismissed by some fans, can't help but wonder how that would have worked out though!

Edited by Kokosnuss

7 minutes ago, Kokosnuss said:

Think I remember reading that DC also considered Darren Ferguson for the role. Currently looks set to pip us to the post for a play-off spot after rejoining Peterborough (AGAIN).

Just wondering if you have any thoughts on that potential appointment should it have happened? (Not a leading question)

Managed to get Peterborough promoted and keep them in the Championship for 2 seasons, but relegated in the 3rd with the highest points tally on any team going down from that level, but similarly seems to be one of those who struggled a bit at any other club! (though he did get Doncaster promoted from League Two after taking them down)

I think the link was summarily dismissed by some fans, can't help but wonder how that would have worked out though!

Hadn’t heard that to be honest, so never really considered him. Think I’d probably class him In the same boat as Warne - that he’s only really had success at one club, and that club isn’t particularly comparable to Derby County at the present time.

Some managers just suit one club and can’t hack it anywhere else - Nathan Jones at Luton springs to mind too. And arguably McClaren at Derby (in terms of English teams, anyway) - ironically, he was sat in front of me at todays game. Make of that what you will. 

So no, don’t think Ferguson would’ve fared any better than Warne personally.

1 hour ago, Millenniumram said:

Hadn’t heard that to be honest, so never really considered him. Think I’d probably class him In the same boat as Warne - that he’s only really had success at one club, and that club isn’t particularly comparable to Derby County at the present time.

Some managers just suit one club and can’t hack it anywhere else - Nathan Jones at Luton springs to mind too. And arguably McClaren at Derby (in terms of English teams, anyway) - ironically, he was sat in front of me at todays game. Make of that what you will. 

So no, don’t think Ferguson would’ve fared any better than Warne personally.

McClaren did a good job at Boro. Paul Jewell is a better example.  Very good at Bradford and Wigan clubs statistically League 1.  Total pants at Derby, Ipswich and Sheff Wednesday.

The most successful teams in history have been those prepared to work the hardest for each other.

PW appreciates that and will get players prepared to do so.

At present we don’t quite have that. Some are just too old, some are learning hard truths about life in League One.

We have one regular goal scorer and about ten whereby a goal would be a complete surprise.

We don’t have players who get in the box at speed to smash in any opportunity.

Our midfield like to hang around the half way line playing it simple, where they don’t have to run too much.

I think at some level we think we will simply pass our way past ‘lesser’ opponents.

It may be the season we needed to learn lessons and I hope PW will find the right balance for next year.

Hey fellow Rams fans!

Can you believe this rollercoaster of a season? Even though it's been a tough ride, we're still in the playoff hunt, which is honestly a small miracle. Sure, none of us want to stay in this league for another year with the embargo still in place, but it's not the end of the world. This situation could give Warne a chance to build his squad and have a proper preseason.

We've got to remember that our squad is thin, and we're under transfer restrictions. So, seeing some fans direct their anger towards Warne for things like the style of play and second-half collapses just doesn't sit right with me.

As for our recent draw against Millwall, we created plenty of chances, but at this stage of the season, it's all about the points. We've got 5 games left, with 2 at home, so we've got to make the most of them.

Interesting stat I found - Derby have used the fewest players (22) in League One. Since our time in the Premier League, only Shrewsbury (21 in 21/22) and Bristol Rovers (21 in 08/09) have used fewer players in a third-tier campaign. Just some food for thought.

I can't believe some fans are calling for Warne to be sacked. Personally, I think we should be patient and let him build the team with his own players and better squad depth. The man has three promotions with Rotherham under his belt and has taken a group of freebies and loan players to the brink of the top six. Give him a chance!

It's worth remembering that Warne and his team were all signed on 4-year deals. This long-term commitment is a good thing as it allows for stability and continuity. We can avoid the managerial merry-go-round that got us into trouble during the Morris era and focus on building a strong foundation for the future.

Regarding summer transfers, I appreciate that the club isn't just signing players for the sake of it. We're limited to loans, free agents. Not to mention, the free agent list isn't exactly overflowing with talent.

It's tough operating in such a fragile environment, especially with the restrictions we face. Derby's transfer window will be challenging, but we need to remember that we're not operating under normal circumstances.

Warne says he will only sign players if they improve the team, and hopes to only sign players the right side of 30 according to the det.

We all know the club is dealing with the aftermath of last season's turmoi. Let's keep supporting the team and Warne as they try to make the best of the situation. COYR! 🐏💪

Hey fellow Rams fans,

As we all know, our beloved Derby County has shown a relatively strong defensive performance in League One this season, ranking 6th in terms of goals against with a total of 39 goals conceded and an average of 1.03 goals conceded per game. We've managed to keep 15 clean sheets overall, with 9 at home and 6 away. It's great to see our defense being more solid at home, conceding an average of 0.84 goals per game, compared to 1.21 goals per game in away matches.

Despite conceding just 1 own goal this season, we've allowed 6 goals in the first 15 minutes of matches, which luckily hasn't been a significant concern for our defense. However, we seem to be more vulnerable defensively in the second half of matches, conceding 15 goals in the first half and 24 goals in the second half.

Now, let's talk about the impact of only being able to sign free agents and having a small squad on our defensive performance. The limitations in signing players have likely affected our ability to bring in experienced and top-quality defenders, which might have contributed to some defensive vulnerabilities. Additionally, a smaller squad does mean that our defenders are playing more minutes without sufficient rotation, leading to fatigue and potentially affecting their performance in the second half of matches.

Given these challenges, I truly believe that our manager Warne has been doing an excellent job. He's had to work with transfer restrictions placed on the club by the EFL and a smaller squad, yet he's managed to keep the team competitive and maintain a solid defensive record. It's evident that Warne's tactical acumen and ability to motivate the players has played a crucial role in our team's performance this season.

After last season, when the club nearly went bankrupt and the start of this season when we almost didn't have enough players to field a team for the season, I wonder how many fans might have expected the team to be fighting for survival instead of being in the position we are at this stage in the season. It's a testament to Warne's leadership and the resilience of our players that we've defied expectations and remained competitive.

In my opinion, we should give Warne all the credit he deserves for his outstanding work and continue to support our team as they push for a stronger and better future.

COYR! (Come On You Rams!)

9 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

It has got to the stage for me where I think we should cash in on Knight, Bird and Sibley. Use the money to bring in around 8 players who can play Warne ball.

You mean spend the money on wages rather than fees 🤔

8 hours ago, Kokosnuss said:

Absolutely cant stand him. Nepotism in action. 

I like Warne. He is honest as the day is long, says as he sees it etc. I believe he will be a success in the long term once he gets his own players in. But for all those who want him replaced….. we can’t afford the cost of the the payouts required … would blow the business plan out of the the water I believe .

So get used to it … he’s here to stay. You might even want to start supporting the Owner, Manager and Team rather than sniping all the time