Paul Warne appointed as Head Coach

Nuwtfly

57 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

I guess this was supposed to be a supportive post, but 20 points from 12 games is pretty average in a league of limited quality. Hopefully he will have us firing come season end when we need some playoff success.

Not earth-shattering of course, but 77 points wouldn't be average either - good enough for a top 6 finish in all but one of the last 20 seasons. It's a solid start imo with the January window hopefully bringing a couple of reinforcements through the door.

7 hours ago, Crewton said:

Not earth-shattering of course, but 77 points wouldn't be average either - good enough for a top 6 finish in all but one of the last 20 seasons. It's a solid start imo with the January window hopefully bringing a couple of reinforcements through the door.

Neither you, or @Andicis, are wrong. He is doing ok in terms of points gained, and there is some signs of emergence. But with this group of players my view is that you, Rosenior, Pardew, @Boycie or even me managing from my sofa, could get 20 points from the last 12 games. What we are yet to see is any significant gear change in league position.  Hopefully we recruit well in January to complement his preferred style of play, so we are super competitive come the playoffs. COYR!

15 minutes ago, Ram@Lincoln said:

These 2-3 "very good" additions to the squad sound very promising. I wonder who they are and what they'll bring to the squad. Fingers crossed it's promotion!

They certainly do, but at what cost?

Losing KB on a permanent in the transfer window wouldn't be a miss, as he's not been here all season.

Losing Knight on the other hand could be a huge loss. I know he hasn't played every game, but if he were to stay fit, there will be games in the second half of the season where having him available could be the difference between drawing and winning.

If you gave me the choice of our current playing squad, all staying fit for the rest of the campaign, or a couple of ins and a couple of outs, I'd be tempted to go with what we have.

2 or 3 good signings might still need time to integrate into a Paul Warne side, whereas the majority of the current playing staff are looking up to speed.

Steady progress this season and a shot at the play offs would be quite remarkable considering where we were only 6 months ago.

11 hours ago, Addingham Ram said:

They certainly do, but at what cost?

Losing KB on a permanent in the transfer window wouldn't be a miss, as he's not been here all season.

Losing Knight on the other hand could be a huge loss. I know he hasn't played every game, but if he were to stay fit, there will be games in the second half of the season where having him available could be the difference between drawing and winning.

If you gave me the choice of our current playing squad, all staying fit for the rest of the campaign, or a couple of ins and a couple of outs, I'd be tempted to go with what we have.

2 or 3 good signings might still need time to integrate into a Paul Warne side, whereas the majority of the current playing staff are looking up to speed.

Steady progress this season and a shot at the play offs would be quite remarkable considering where we were only 6 months ago.

I’d quite like the challenge of integrating a new right back.

On 20/12/2022 at 21:45, jimtastic56 said:

2 or 3 good additions should see us over the line for a play-off place. But after 4 unsuccessful attempts at the play-offs can Warne do what the likes of McClaren could not do. I have a feeling with Warne , that he will not be cautious like some of his predecessors. It will be all out attack.

If Mr Warne does manage to get us through the play offs... which in itself would be bloody fantastic, of course... I hope folk remember that he still wouldn't have bettered what "the likes of McClaren" failed to achieve, purely given the level of the play offs we'd be in, this time around!  

Im not sure where all the pressure and expectation is coming from tbh.

6 months… thats all it was.. 6 months ago wed have all given our right nuts to still have a club.

we then entered what was left of the transfer market armed with no transfer fees, no money to line the pockets of agents and a restriction on what we could pay and over the given length of time we could pay that player for.

We did well to get a squad and tbh these are players that other clubs who had more time to get over the line and more money to tie up passed up on.

lets enjoy what we have, if we make the play offs great, if we dont we dont.

to put into context who can tell me the last time we had a manager that lasted more than 2 full seasons ?

im looking forward to judging warne after 2-3 seasons not 5 minutes and one restricted transfer window 

Edited by NottsRam77

2 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

If Mr Warne does manage to get us through the play offs... which in itself would be bloody fantastic, of course... I hope folk remember that he still wouldn't have bettered what "the likes of McClaren" failed to achieve, purely given the level of the play offs we'd be in, this time around!  

Would we also have to temper our celebrations to acknowledge the level? 

1 minute ago, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

Would we also have to temper our celebrations to acknowledge the level? 

I guess we all have a personal choice, on that one?  ?‍♂️

I for one will no doubt be whooping with delight, and quite possibly partaking in a little dad dance.  But I won't be chastising anyone who doesn't join me.

I also won't be claiming that Mr Warne has done better than our previous play off managers.  Maybe next season... fingers crossed!  ?

37 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

6 months… thats all it was.. 6 months ago wed have all given our right nuts to still have a club.

we then entered what was left of the transfer market armed with no transfer fees, no money to line the pockets of agents and a restriction on what we could pay and over the given length of time we could pay that player for.

We did well to get a squad and tbh these are players that other clubs who had more time to get over the line and more money to tie up passed up on.

to put into context who can tell me the last time we had a manager that lasted more than 2 full seasons ?

im looking forward to judging warne after 2-3 seasons not 5 minutes and one restricted transfer window 

It's not hard to see we are one of the better teams in this league - so that's where the expectation comes from. #simples

2 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

But surely it’s all relative , we may not be up against the same level of opposition but we also do not have the same level of players ,play offs are play offs at any level and so so much of it comes down to the manager getting the players heads in the right place , picking the right team and managing the game as it pans out 

1 hour ago, NottsRam77 said:

Unfortunately, the appointment was a statement of intent. Once you start racking up the points like we do, and poach a manager with three promotions to his name from the league above - whilst miraculously holding on to some of our young players - it's not a surprise that some are seeing promotion as the aim this season.

I completely agree with you though. How short some fans' memories are.

6 minutes ago, Duracell said:

Unfortunately, the appointment was a statement of intent. Once you start racking up the points like we do, and poach a manager with three promotions to his name from the league above - whilst miraculously holding on to some of our young players - it's not a surprise that some are seeing promotion as the aim this season.

I completely agree with you though. How short some fans' memories are.

Nothing to do with short memories. We have a good squad. It is a top 6 squad in a very average league. We should be nailed on for a playoff place.

On 20/12/2022 at 21:45, jimtastic56 said:

2 or 3 good additions should see us over the line for a play-off place. But after 4 unsuccessful attempts at the play-offs can Warne do what the likes of McClaren could not do. I have a feeling with Warne , that he will not be cautious like some of his predecessors. It will be all out attack.

Don’t think you can say Steve Mac was cautious ?

1 hour ago, Mucker1884 said:

I guess we all have a personal choice, on that one?  ?‍♂️

I for one will no doubt be whooping with delight, and quite possibly partaking in a little dad dance.  But I won't be chastising anyone who doesn't join me.

I also won't be claiming that Mr Warne has done better than our previous play off managers.  Maybe next season... fingers crossed!  ?

Why would anybody not celebrate just because the level we had escaped from was lower?

Also, I don't see how we could compare his achievements, good or bad, with his predecessors. The standard of opposition is obviously lower but so is the budget and pool of players available to Warne. 

13 minutes ago, Needlesh said:

Promotion IS the aim this season. Also, with two or three new additions, plus Bielik back never mind the top 6...I'd back us for automatic.

Automatic promotion must be the aim this season, especially with some well thought out moves in the window. We’ve currently got the second best defensive record despite not having a proper right back ( which is a big compliment to the players that have fitted in there so far). The Bolton game will be a big statement if we take 3 points .

Warne has been a terrific appountment for this league. He knows how to get out of it. I genuinely think automatic is a possibility. I think Ipswich will go up but I've a feeling Plymouth won't be able to sustain things and Wednesday seem to constantly drop points against teams they're expected to beat. And remember, Warne hasn't had chance to bring in his own style of players yet. A few strong signings in January and let's see what happens...

16 minutes ago, hintonsboots said:

Automatic promotion must be the aim this season, especially with some well thought out moves in the window. We’ve currently got the second best defensive record despite not having a proper right back ( which is a big compliment to the players that have fitted in there so far). The Bolton game will be a big statement if we take 3 points .

While I agree with that, it's quite a gap to the top 2 - points wise.

I can't see us failing to make the playoffs now, based on what you've said, but I definitely can see us failing to make up the 11 points to 2nd

Edited by Wolfie