Paul Warne appointed as Head Coach

Nuwtfly

17 minutes ago, LazloW said:

Concerns being expressed about Warne’s ‘style’.  Some of these are quite worrying but will reserve judgement until I’ve seen us play under him.

However, Rowett said when he came that he’d be able to change and adapt his footballing philosophy to the players he had at his disposal. This was proven to be complete horsepoop. He came as an awful negative , back foot, dreary hope to catch people on the break and win 1-0 merchant and that is what he stayed. Hopefully this new chap will be different.

We won 13 games by more than 1 goal in the Rowett season.

From memory we were 6th top scorers in the division.

I'm not sure many people's recollection of his time here marries up with actual facts.

4 minutes ago, Dave Mackay Ate My Hamster said:

We all knew we had a fabulous squad for this division. I

I think we need to remain cautious in this point. A week ago our star man (Hourihane was under performing and calls to be dropped). Knight, Bird, Sibley aside alot of the squad is League 1 level. 
Collins, Wildsmith, Mendez Laing, Roberts. All Lg1 players previously. Chester - injury prone at Stoke. Davies - 37. 
I think we should be up there, but we need to be careful in overegging the quality of the squad. Other teams can say similar in this league. I wouldn’t say we should be walking the league with the squad we have. Top 6 definitely realistic. 

Can’t see how Clowes has done much wrong here. I’d say at least 1/3 signings were eyed up and pencilled in by Rooney/Rosenior. If Clowes didn’t go for LR at the start there’s no guarantee they sign. 

Then it’s a rush job to identify a managerial target and convince them to join. 

Harsh on LR without doubt but personally I’ve not seen enough to suggest he’s the man to take us up. No doubt he’s a footballing man and maybe a good coach but our standards are high. Maybe he’d do better in the hot seat at a club like Exeter. Where he can learn his trade for a few seasons and get the time to make his mistakes. 

Reckon Warne is a good appointment who will have us up either this season or next.

13 minutes ago, Dave Mackay Ate My Hamster said:

We all knew we had a fabulous squad for this division. If I'd spent 53 million on our club and we were on the edge of the playoffs early doors with a rookie manager, still not having sorted out our away form, I'd be thinking " for an extra 750K in compensation I could get better ", I'd be twisting, not sticking.

Don't forget he was a very reluctant fan-buyer. He doesn't have billions. 53 mill is still a massive risk. The only way I would have stuck with Liam at this point is if he was six points clear at the top of the division. Even then I'd be fretting...

Agree with this, £53million is a lot of moola, But, How much is Pride Park worth?, £20-£30-£50 or £80million, Not a bad day out I'd say ?

16 minutes ago, Diego said:

The same fans that want LR to carry on are the same fans that wanted Nige to carry on around this time nine years ago.

By the same token, the same fans who will want the new manager gone if he loses two games on the bounce will be the ones who wanted LR out.

I don't believe its results driven anyway so we will find its a moot point.

This reeks. 

We are 7th in the table, joint points with 6th after 9 games with a squad that was almost completely rebuilt. I really don't know what the expectation was. I understand that 7th isn't where we want to finish but surely given that you'd expect our form to improve you'd say its enough to get more than 9 games. 

Rosenior would have every right to feel hard done by here. 

Then it's all for Paul Warne. Like fair enough he's done a decent job at Rotherham but that's been his only job and it's been there 6 years, hes had time to grow into a role with the club and influence things in a direction that suits. It's misguided at best to think he will be able to walk in here and suddenly have us firing on all cylinders especially when you consider that stylistically its a complete lurch.

This feels like an attempt at nailing our colours for someone who Clowes feels is a certainty for promotion based on that's he's good Rotherham promoted. And to be honest from the outside it looks like a shaky bet especially as I worry its because Warne is flavour of the month with Rotherham in their current position. We'd just about got a squad, all hired by Rosenior all with a certain style of play in mind and now are lurching to something that's the opposite. I don't see how at best this causes a large amount of disruption at the start and in the worst case scenario there is a non zero chance this tanks our season.

It's also a decision with no forethought or planning beyond just get promoted especially given that the academy is set up playing football in a way that won't be conducive to how the first team will now be setup.

All of this from the people complaining over possession football, to hailing the decision to bring in a "no-nonsense" "pragmatic" manager who's only had success at one club who he spent a bunch of time at had Pearson mark 2 written all over it.

3 hours ago, DCFC1388 said:

Interesting decision, LR start hasnt been too bad. Dont think any Derby fan would have said no to being 7th going into the 1st international break. You can see the positives & negatives to Roseniors style of play.

Warne is a proven winner at this level which is what we need, will be interesting to see what abouts with our style of play and what staff he brings with him. Wonder if he will say anything about *that* interview. Does he know any right backs on a free he can bring with him? 

Critical to the success of this change is how it affects the squad and how quickly they buy into Warnes style of football. Alot of players joined for Rosenior so maybe him staying will soften the hit to the squad.

Compare Rotherham & Derby styles below; we will see quicker football; less “superfluous” passing and more goals. A faster style which will be more successful. 

DA793150-FCDF-418E-A0A2-02B6992C53A7.jpeg

E0A1CA7C-65B7-4744-933D-545E465D4650.jpeg

Edited by Ellafella

I find some of the complaints about Warne, and the defences of Rosenior a little conflicting.

On the one hand, the football we play isn’t working because we don’t have good enough players to pass their way through teams at this level.

At the same time, Warne won’t work because we play neat, passing football. It’s one or the other really, we have a good squad so what kind of football are we well suited to?

For what it’s worth, there is a difference between being direct and playing hoofball. Being direct just means getting the ball forward quickly. We have pace out wide, big strikers and midfielders who can pass. Those together add up pretty well for direct football.

It’s a gamble, but I think it’s less of a gamble than keeping LR if we really want promotion this year. A lot of work was done in the summer but that would’ve happened whatever the manager. Would we have ended up with a vastly different squad if Warne joined at the start of the summer? I doubt it. We had a limited pool of players we could go for under our current restrictions, so I don’t think the squad being largely built by a different manager will be a massive issue.

If we do play less attractive football but spend less time trapped in the third tier, then that’s good with me.

Edit: For what it’s worth, I’ve just checked at Rotherham scored 70 goals last season in League 1, averaging 1.5 a game. We are currently scoring 1.0 goals a game. We should technically be more dangerous in the final third, if we’re going on which style yields more goals.

Edited by Kernow

23 minutes ago, Dave Mackay Ate My Hamster said:

We all knew we had a fabulous squad for this division. If I'd spent 53 million on our club and we were on the edge of the playoffs early doors with a rookie manager, still not having sorted out our away form, I'd be thinking " for an extra 750K in compensation I could get better ", I'd be twisting, not sticking.

Don't forget he was a very reluctant fan-buyer. He doesn't have billions. 53 mill is still a massive risk. The only way I would have stuck with Liam at this point is if he was six points clear at the top of the division. Even then I'd be fretting...

Spot on. We are not in the position of allowing a nice guy to learn the ropes.

4 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Compare Rotherham & Derby styles below; we will see quicker football; less “superfluous” passing and more goals. A faster style which will be more successful. 

0B597563-003D-49EC-88BB-3A6403653B9C.jpeg

Your conclusion that it will lead to more goals is speculative given there are several major confounding factors. 

21 minutes ago, r_wilcockson said:

FWIW, I wasn't convinced when I was watching the latest We Are Derby episode and seeing how Liam addressed the players after the game. Yes he was nice, but it seemed like he was trying too hard to copy Rooneys style and without the same gravitas. It didn't look to me like the players were hanging off his every word and looked up to him as such.

It will certainly be a change having Warne in the dugout, can recall him not shutting up every time Rotherham came to town. 

Sadly, I got that too. A good coach, a decent tactician - at times, but the fundamentals of management are getting the best out of all your players on a consistent basis. Some employ brutality, shock tactics, some use good cop bad cop, but ultimately you've got to motivate players on a regular basis.

Clever analysis, the professeur approach, may work at the highest level, but at the Championship level and below, it mostly works at managing everyone individually, carrot and stick in equal measure. We have the tools in our playing staff, we need someone to orchestrate them like a conductor.

That's management at our level.

3 hours ago, Rich3478 said:

Yeah, and we’ve decided our players are not suited to any other style than roseniors.

only cashin of our centre backs is decent with the ball, rest are pretty traditional defenders. Same with Roberts and fozzy.

midfield wise, bird and hourihane are quite pretty footballers. Maybe only one of them plays. That’s what all fans had seemed to want anyway lately. Knight and smith seem high energy and neat footballers.

Wingers, barkhuizen and nml are all pace and direct. Think warne would love them. Dobbin an option to freshen it up.

sibley needs to find a position, has had long enough to do it. Maybe a 10 or second striker.

mcgoldrick and Collins be fine as well. Osula is huge so can play more direct.

of the whole squad I’d think bird and sibley the ones who perhaps will have to adapt the most. And not sure that’s a bad thing, for them and us.

Sibley has found his position, but far too often, Derby County won't let him have it. And although he has had a couple of off-games recently, since he has been given regular starts, and playing in midfield instead of out on the wing or the bench, the team has looked better.

But I am with you on how our current squad might adapt to long ball / hoof-it football. Or might not ......................

6 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

DA793150-FCDF-418E-A0A2-02B6992C53A7.jpeg

E0A1CA7C-65B7-4744-933D-545E465D4650.jpeg

Interesting actually because it suggests fast but not actually direct.