Matchday Thread - Fleetwood Town v Derby County (20/08 15:00)

Ghost of Clough

Just now, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Not a big fan.  But from what i've seen of the forwards so far in this league, they're awful, so probably be ok for a couple

For a couple? Davies will be out for a mo th and no idea about Chester yet other than "soon". 

Not only will you have Stearman exposed for pace at RB, possession play will also break down with him (or completely change our system), but we'll also have one of Forsyth and Roberts at RCB, or even worse Bird.

Instead of one player out of position at RB, who actually suits the role being asked of him, we suddenly have multiple defenders out of position who aren't suited to the roles.

Just now, Ghost of Clough said:

For a couple? Davies will be out for a mo th and no idea about Chester yet other than "soon". 

Not only will you have Stearman exposed for pace at RB, possession play will also break down with him (or completely change our system), but we'll also have one of Forsyth and Roberts at RCB, or even worse Bird.

Instead of one player out of position at RB, who actually suits the role being asked of him, we suddenly have multiple defenders out of position who aren't suited to the roles.

Aren't we getting a right back though.  Stearmans played at full back plenty of times so not a role that doesn't suit.  Forsyths covered at centre half.  Roberts is a centre half by trade I believe.  If they get a right back problem sorted.  It's not like it hasn't been evident we'd need one for two months.   

10 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Not a big fan.  But from what i've seen of the forwards so far in this league, they're awful, so probably be ok for a couple

Got to agree, so I hope we don’t play 2 holding midfielders to protect the back four.Fleetwood don’t expect to sell out their 5,300 capacity so it will seem more like a home game. Let’s play like it and aim for 10 shots on target.

I don't get why people are suggesting Mcgoldrick to play CM in a 433, he is a striker /CF and clearly not a midfielder. 

I think it's a myth he is a midfielder. At Sheffield United he played like a number 11 so a 2nd striker next to Billy Sharp, at other teams as far as I'm aware he has played striker, so at a push he could play as a 10 but definitely not a CM with defensive responsibilities like Smith has in our set up. 

If Mcgoldrick is going to play either Collins drops to the bench or we play with 2 up top which is unlikely so I think he'll rotate with Collins. 

I'd go for this team 

Wildsmith 

Oduro  Stearman Cashin Roberts

Bird 

Knight  Sibley 

NML       Mcgoldrick  Dobbin 

Changes in attack and midfield are definitely needed and I will be disappointed to see Smith play in midfield again. Think we need alot more legs and attacking impetus there and that's why I've gone for the academy midfield 3, I think we'll have alot more goal threat and movement through the middle to support Mcgoldrick with that lineup. Tbh I dont rate Collins as a lone striker in the way we are utilising him and that's not just down to fact he hasnt scored. 

Mcgoldrick has a better touch and link up play and in this set up that is key, similar to when we had Martin playing passes to Ward and Russell and Bryson running on. 

Edited by Marriot Ram99

7 minutes ago, Marriot Ram99 said:

I don't get why people are suggesting Mcgoldrick to play CM in a 433, he is a striker /CF and clearly not a midfielder. 

I think it's a myth he is a midfielder. At Sheffield United he played like a number 11 so a 2nd striker next to Billy Sharp, at other teams as far as I'm aware he has played striker, so at a push he could play as a 10 but definitely not a CM with defensive responsibilities like Smith has in our set up. 

If Mcgoldrick is going to play either Collins drops to the bench or we play with 2 up top which is unlikely so I think he'll rotate with Collins. 

Not a single person has suggested McGoldrick as a CM option. We have played more of a 4231/4411 than 433 since the start of last season, woth the likes of Ravel and Sibley pushing right up alongside the CF. That's where we should see the most of McGoldrick.

1 hour ago, Marriot Ram99 said:

We'd be playing McGoldrick at 10. 

I suspect that was the initial intention going into the season with the line up something close to like we played against Hertha Berlin in pre season. 

On 17/08/2022 at 23:43, Ghost of Clough said:

Dobbin was played on the wing Because he is a winger.

Sibley was put on the wing because we had already brought McGoldrick on to play in his best position.

McGoldrick was played where he was Because that's his best position (behind a CF)

............... and no way on God's earth can we play Sibley in his best position - ever.

1 hour ago, Marriot Ram99 said:

I'd go for this team 

Wildsmith 

Oduro  Stearman Cashin Roberts

Bird 

Knight  Sibley 

NML       Mcgoldrick  Dobbin 

Changes in attack and midfield are definitely needed and I will be disappointed to see Smith play in midfield again. Think we need alot more legs and attacking impetus there and that's why I've gone for the academy midfield 3, I think we'll have alot more goal threat and movement through the middle to support Mcgoldrick with that lineup. Tbh I dont rate Collins as a lone striker in the way we are utilising him and that's not just down to fact he hasnt scored. 

Mcgoldrick has a better touch and link up play and in this set up that is key, similar to when we had Martin playing passes to Ward and Russell and Bryson running on. 

Is Smith going to become the new Dawkins I wonder? A good technical footballer who makes the whole better that the sum of the parts, but in the eyes of many Derby fans not doing enough ‘spectacularly’ to justify his position.  Smith starts for me. The pressure needs to be applied to Hourihane, NML, Barkhuisen and Collins to do more upfront. If they can’t deliver, Dobbin, McGoldrick and Sibley should be being seen more regularly.

Edited by i-Ram

12 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

It doesn’t matter what it took to see us relegated the fact is we are playing in the same league now as these teams and we need to earn their respect. If/when we’re top of the league, well clear or at least start to put together a decent unbeaten run (including wins away from home) then we will have begun to earn that respect. It might be a big day out for the fans to come to a stadium like Pride Park, same as it is/was to go to Sunderland, Sheffield Wednesday and a few others, but I’m sure the players and managers won’t be viewing games against us as their cup final.

I’m not saying your arrogant necessarily, just the statement you made could be perceived as such. I’m also a Rams fan of 40+ years but we simply have to accept we are where we are right now. We’re not playing the likes of Real Madrid and Juventus anymore and, quite probably, never will again in my lifetime.

Absolutely agree. Point proven by our result at Shrewsbury, a team that we should be taking 3 points from, but ultimately we were unable to do so. 

18 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

It's just the strangest thing. And when it's so obvious he's what we need.

Its like at work where those who have been there since students and show promise and loyalty never get the best work or jobs they want or decent pay rise but you must keep the new recruits happy and then the lovely students leave for a big pay rise and to do the work they want. Perhaps have done with it and play Cashin at CF and Bird as GK. sorry rant over

I’d play

Wildsmith 

Smith Stearman Cashin Roberts 

Bird Hourihane Knight 

NML  Collins Barks 

With Sibley ready to come on at HT if we’re struggling, as I want to see how Knight, Hourihane and Bird play as a unit.

But I’m betting LR will go with:

Wildsmith 

Knight Stearman Cashin Roberts 

Bird Hourihane Smith 

NML  Collins Barks 

Just play someone that will run from midfield please! Whether that's Knight being put further forward or Sibbo starting... I'd go with this:

Wildsmith
 Smith  Stearman  Cashin  Forsyth
          Knight  Bird  Hourihane
Mendez-Laing  Collins  Barkhuizen

COYR ?