Matchday Thread - Fleetwood Town v Derby County (20/08 15:00)

Ghost of Clough

3 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Not the first time Rosenior has praised Knight at rb and Justin Walker made similar comments pre-match against Shrewsbury (listen below), it feels like they are settling for Knight being rb for the moment. Perhaps until a loan signing is available? ? 

Not what I’d like to see really, however he has done the job so far and we’re under tight restrictions so maybe it’s a “make do” type situation for now.

I do wonder if the Ireland manager, and Knight himself are happy with him playing at right back. 

I wouldn't be surprised if he's had a call along the lines of 'get yourself back in midfield or I'm going to struggle to pick you lad'

I'd go for:

Wildsmith
Smith       Stearman          Cashin         Forsyth
                                  Bird
                Knight                 Hourihane
Barkhuizen                                      Mendez-Laing    

Collins

Knight needs to be played in the midfield 3, he's wasted at RB. I don't think Oduroh is ready yet so could see how Smith plays at RB because I think he's played there in the past. Forsyth can bring some extra height at the back and is a better crosser of the ball than  Roberts. Sibley, McGoldrick and Dobbin can all come off the bench and make an impact. 

1 hour ago, DerbyRevolution said:

I do wonder if the Ireland manager, and Knight himself are happy with him playing at right back. 

I wouldn't be surprised if he's had a call along the lines of 'get yourself back in midfield or I'm going to struggle to pick you lad'

The Ireland manager wouldn't drop Knight, even if he only had one leg

39 minutes ago, Lac291884 said:

See how Smith plays at RB because I think he's played there in the past

18 times in 454 career appearances according to transfermarkt

It's not like he's ever had a consist run of playing there though:

2012/13 - 1
2013/14 - 5 (no consecutive games)
2016/17 - 5 (4 games in a row)
2017/18 - 6 (2x 2 games in a row)
2021/22 - 1 (plus 2 appearances at LB)

Edited by Coconut's Beard

7 minutes ago, Coconut's Beard said:

2012/13 - 1

More than Knight. Once last season, and four times this season.

36 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

More than Knight. Once last season, and four times this season.

More than Knight, but to be fair they did make their professional debuts 10 years apart!  The way things are sounding Knight may well have more appearances at RB than Smith by November.

It's also quite likely that all of Smith's appearances at RB were playing the role in the more traditional manner, so even though it's only the 4 games this season, Knight actually has more experience playing as an inverted RB.

I just think sometimes when it's pointed out that a player has played in a certain position before, and they're an experienced player,  people can get a false impression that they have more extensive experience in that position than they actually do.

Edited by Coconut's Beard

1 hour ago, Coconut's Beard said:

2012/13 - 1

Stearmans played more at right back than both of them. Yes it was a long time ago and much earlier in his career, but I'd still rather play him at right back than waste Knight there

1 minute ago, GenBr said:

Stearmans played more at right back than both of them. Yes it was a long time ago and much earlier in his career, but I'd still rather play him at right back than waste Knight there

Stearman can’t really move though

For an indication on how little he is trusted for a vaguely similar role, when we went to a back 3 v Barnsley, Forsyth played on the right hand side over Stearman despite being left footed.

Personally I think at the moment Knight is doing a very good job and while it may not get the best out of his skill set, the question is where he fits into a midfield that is already a bit bloated. In possession he is effectively playing as a central midfielder anyway.

In a way you could almost reframe the issue - if you were told Knight had come through the academy as a natural right back, would you see his performances this season and say “that’s a central midfielder”?

As an example, in one season Matty Cash went from a fairly middling utility midfielder to a £15m right back as a result of being moved there. He’s now an international. I think they have similar skill sets in that they are both very good athletes and intelligent footballers, but unlikely to ever be a really.

(sorry ended up being a much more general point than a reply to your post)

3 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Totally agree. He's seemed a bit nervous when at the start of games when he has played, but that's only going to get worse if the management show a lack of faith in him. Given his upbringing at Man City I can't see how we could have got anyone more suited to how Rosenior wants to play. And he must have thought it made sense to drop to the third tier as then he would get get time, which I applaud for a young player. I think so far it's appeared Rosenior feels duty bound to put all his big name players on the pitch based on their reputation, whether or not it's the best combination. So when Smith, Hourihane and McGoldrick are fit they will likely all play regardless, which means there's no room for the players I think we clearly need in the starting lineup.

Following your lead, it won't happen but for me a much better team than what we will play would be:

Wildsmith

Stearman     Cashin

Oduroh                      Bird                    Roberts

Knight       Sibley        Hourihane

Collins        Barkhuizen

Subs: Anang   Forsyth   Smith   Thompson     McGoldrick    Dobbin   Mendez-Laing

It's likely you would want to bring McGoldrick, Dobbin and Mendez-Laing on at some point to maintain attacking energy throughout and how you did that would depend on how the players were looking before.

Edit: writing this reply I missed @nottingramasking where I'd fit people in, so here it is.

is that a 4-4- king 2? ?

For me Knight is doing a very good job at right back. The way our midfield is structured, he'd have to replace Bird or Hourihane, or play as a 10? None of those seem viable. Or out wide, but we know from previous experience that doesn't work.  

The team I thought played well against Shrewsbury, who are a perfectly decent League 1 side, organised, physical and stubborn. We were nine tenths of the way there. 

Sorry, but I'm both happy and encouraged by the way we've started and wouldn't be changing the team at all.

Knight is a very solid right back and I feel he suits our style of football there too. 

There is a lot of negativity about our performance against Shrews. We were much the better team and on another night we score those 2 first half chances. That would allow us to run away with it. 

We look solid at the back and it’s only a matter of time before we whack someone for 5 or 6. 

8 hours ago, sage said:

We are trying to sign a right back. What would you have us do in the meantime? 

Put Stearman at right back and Knight in midfield.  Stearman should be steady enough against the banks of 10 that don't go forward in this league, or stick Smith there.  He's as likely a full back as Knight.  

4 hours ago, Coconut's Beard said:

2012/13 - 1

He's still worth a shot in that position imo. Knight is doing a decent enough job at RB but he's too good a player to be played out of his natural position. This all says how much we need a RB before the window ends

30 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Put Stearman at right back and Knight in midfield.  Stearman should be steady enough against the banks of 10 that don't go forward in this league, or stick Smith there.  He's as likely a full back as Knight.  

OK, who do we get to partner Cashin - Fozzy? 

51 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Once the thought of Stearman exposed at Right Back and offering zero attacking support,  I did wonder who would play CB with Cashin