Matchday Thread - Fleetwood Town v Derby County (20/08 15:00)

Ghost of Clough

NML and Barks need a rest. Roberts at RB (not much different to playing LB).

Liam mate, play this team and we will win, trust me.

Wildsmith

Roberts         Stearman   Cashin      Forsyth

Bird 

Knight                      Hourihane    

Dobbin      Sibley

Collins

Result 3-0 Derby - Collins, Sibley and Dobbin to score.

I do wish Liam would stop referring to McGoldrick as Didzy.

Clearly Knight and Roberts aren’t going anywhere in the short term. RB and LB positions are their’s ufn.

Really wouldn’t be surprised to see the same team start against Fleetwood as did against Shrewsbury. Maybe Dobbin might pinch NML’s starting spot. 

11 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Whilst I think there is an element of truth in what you say and they may well up their game for visits of teams like Derby and Sheffield Wednesday it does also stink a bit of arrogance. We’re in the same league as teams like Fleetwood and until such team as we play them off the park and beat them, we should consider them as equals (IMO) but, on the other hand, believing they are teams we can beat. 

It did, however, take a 21 point deduction to land a  mid-table Championship side in League One in the first place leave us not forget!

BTW if I'm arrogant it's probably because I have been a proud Rams supporter for 50+ years.

I've also stayed at the North Euston, Fleetwood, a few times in the past! (Best fresh fish bar none!)

Edited by Brammie Steve

5 hours ago, Coconut's Beard said:

Given Rosenior's comments there, I'd expect Knight to carry on at RB indefinitely. Probably time to stop calling for him to play further forward.

He needs to leave then.  This ' a player needs more than one string to their bow' is a load of b*******.  He's he has far too much ability and years ahead to waste time playing full back in League 1.  Wasting time here doing that. 

15 hours ago, Coconut's Beard said:

Given Rosenior's comments there, I'd expect Knight to carry on at RB indefinitely. Probably time to stop calling for him to play further forward.

Not the first time Rosenior has praised Knight at rb and Justin Walker made similar comments pre-match against Shrewsbury (listen below), it feels like they are settling for Knight being rb for the moment. Perhaps until a loan signing is available? ? 

Not what I’d like to see really, however he has done the job so far and we’re under tight restrictions so maybe it’s a “make do” type situation for now.

10 hours ago, Brammie Steve said:

It did, however, take a 21 point deduction to land a  mid-table Championship side in League One in the first place leave us not forget!

BTW if I'm arrogant it's probably because I have been a proud Rams supporter for 50+ years.

I've also stayed at the North Euston, Fleetwood, a few times in the past! (Best fresh fish bar none!)

It doesn’t matter what it took to see us relegated the fact is we are playing in the same league now as these teams and we need to earn their respect. If/when we’re top of the league, well clear or at least start to put together a decent unbeaten run (including wins away from home) then we will have begun to earn that respect. It might be a big day out for the fans to come to a stadium like Pride Park, same as it is/was to go to Sunderland, Sheffield Wednesday and a few others, but I’m sure the players and managers won’t be viewing games against us as their cup final.

I’m not saying your arrogant necessarily, just the statement you made could be perceived as such. I’m also a Rams fan of 40+ years but we simply have to accept we are where we are right now. We’re not playing the likes of Real Madrid and Juventus anymore and, quite probably, never will again in my lifetime.

10 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

He needs to leave then.  This ' a player needs more than one string to their bow' is a load of b*******.  He's he has far too much ability and years ahead to waste time playing full back in League 1.  Wasting time here doing that. 

We are trying to sign a right back. What would you have us do in the meantime? 

2 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

It doesn’t matter what it took to see us relegated the fact is we are playing in the same league now as these teams and we need to earn their respect. If/when we’re top of the league, well clear or at least start to put together a decent unbeaten run (including wins away from home) then we will have begun to earn that respect. It might be a big day out for the fans to come to a stadium like Pride Park, same as it is/was to go to Sunderland, Sheffield Wednesday and a few others, but I’m sure the players and managers won’t be viewing games against us as their cup final.

I’m not saying your arrogant necessarily, just the statement you made could be perceived as such. I’m also a Rams fan of 40+ years but we simply have to accept we are where we are right now. We’re not playing the likes of Real Madrid and Juventus anymore and, quite probably, never will again in my lifetime.

I agree, we are not Real Madrid , they will enjoy PP and it’s something a lot don’t have. We underestimate teams in L1 at our peril 

7 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Play Smith, Oduroh or Roberts there so Knight can bring his box-to-box energy into central midfield?

I feel for Oduroh, a RB that can’t get a game when we have no RB, preferring to play a CM there whilst trying to sign one.

What hope does he have for any kind of game time? If he’s not ready, why even stick him on the bench, let him get some game time with the U21’s. I would be a bit pissed off if I was him.

Won’t happen, but for what it’s worth, I would go with:

Wildsmith

Oduroh    Stearman  Cashin     Roberts

Bird

Knight     Hourihane

Mendez-Laing                         Barkhuizen

Collins

24 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Play Smith, Oduroh or Roberts there so Knight can bring his box-to-box energy into central midfield?

Roberts is playing LB. Oduroh isn't ready and Smith isn't fit enough to play 90 minutes yet. 

Apart from that I agree ?

36 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Seeing as (I assume) you expect us to play Sibley, who does Knight play in midfield instead of? It won’t be Hourihane who is our biggest creative threat and he has a completely different profile and role to Bird.

He is doing a fine job at RB, I see little reason to change it to an untested youth player, Smith who doesn’t seem fit as yet and may not have the legs even when he is, or a left footed centre back currently starting at left back.

35 minutes ago, David said:

I feel for Oduroh, a RB that can’t get a game when we have no RB, preferring to play a CM there whilst trying to sign one.

What hope does he have for any kind of game time? If he’s not ready, why even stick him on the bench, let him get some game time with the U21’s. I would be a bit pissed off if I was him.

Totally agree. He's seemed a bit nervous when at the start of games when he has played, but that's only going to get worse if the management show a lack of faith in him. Given his upbringing at Man City I can't see how we could have got anyone more suited to how Rosenior wants to play. And he must have thought it made sense to drop to the third tier as then he would get get time, which I applaud for a young player. I think so far it's appeared Rosenior feels duty bound to put all his big name players on the pitch based on their reputation, whether or not it's the best combination. So when Smith, Hourihane and McGoldrick are fit they will likely all play regardless, which means there's no room for the players I think we clearly need in the starting lineup.

Following your lead, it won't happen but for me a much better team than what we will play would be:

Wildsmith

Stearman     Cashin

Oduroh                      Bird                    Roberts

Knight       Sibley        Hourihane

Collins        Barkhuizen

Subs: Anang   Forsyth   Smith   Thompson     McGoldrick    Dobbin   Mendez-Laing

It's likely you would want to bring McGoldrick, Dobbin and Mendez-Laing on at some point to maintain attacking energy throughout and how you did that would depend on how the players were looking before.

Edit: writing this reply I missed @nottingramasking where I'd fit people in, so here it is.

Edited by Carl Sagan