Matchday Thread - Fleetwood Town v Derby County (20/08 15:00)

Ghost of Clough

12 hours ago, CBRammette said:

Its like at work where those who have been there since students and show promise and loyalty never get the best work or jobs they want or decent pay rise but you must keep the new recruits happy and then the lovely students leave for a big pay rise and to do the work they want. Perhaps have done with it and play Cashin at CF and Bird as GK. sorry rant over

Playing Cashin up front, like a good old fashioned centre forward?

Now that's a great idea. We might finally pose a threat at set pieces ?.

Plus he'd certainly be a nuisance. Imagine the young lad from Everton playing off Cashin picking up the second ball?

Only Joking CBR, but I share your sentiments entirely.

I really don't understand why we don't keep developing our own young guns in the positions that they have always played. There is a reason why they stood out in the U21s.

I'd love to see a settled team at some point during this season (and for years to come) with Cashin, Bird, Knight and Sibley at it's core.

We can only dream eh?

Whoever put that Ron Webster chap and the David Nish fella at full-back was an idiot. As for the bloke who thought David Mackay, one of the finest wing-halves these islands have produced, would ever make a decent sweeper should have been sacked in an instant!

Don't even get me started on our own young guns Lee Carsley and Paul Williams being shifted from RB to midfield and midfield to CB respectively, Rory Delap from RB to striker and Christian Dailly to the centre of defence.....

7 minutes ago, Crewton said:

Whoever put that Ron Webster chap and the David Nish fella at full-back was an idiot. As for the bloke who thought David Mackay, one of the finest wing-halves these islands have produced, would ever make a decent sweeper should have been sacked in an instant!

Don't even get me started on our own young guns Lee Carsley and Paul Williams being shifted from RB to midfield and midfield to CB respectively, Rory Delap from RB to striker and Christian Dailly to the centre of defence.....

Didn't mean to touch a nerve Crewton.

However, I was hoping the club was moving in a direction where we develop a football philosophy right through the club, so that we school our youngsters in such a way that when called upon - most likely due to an injury or squad rotation, they are ready, and can fit smoothly into the first team, in what should already have been identified as their best position.

I realise that over recent years we've had no choice but to throw our best young players into the first team, in many cases just to make up numbers, also decimating our U21 squad, but let's hope those days are behind us.

16 minutes ago, Addingham Ram said:

Didn't mean to touch a nerve Crewton.

However, I was hoping the club was moving in a direction where we develop a football philosophy right through the club, so that we school our youngsters in such a way that when called upon - most likely due to an injury or squad rotation, they are ready, and can fit smoothly into the first team, in what should already have been identified as their best position.

I realise that over recent years we've had no choice but to throw our best young players into the first team, in many cases just to make up numbers, also decimating our U21 squad, but let's hope those days are behind us.

Apologies if it came across a bit ranty - wasn't intended that way. Just pointing out that we can get too hung up on what we believe to be a player's 'best' position and it's not unusual for a manager/coach to try out a player in a different position that they think suits their abilities/strengths (Derby have done it with a number of players in recent seasons at u21 level). As fans, we don't always see what they're trying to achieve. Sometimes, of course, it doesn't work and can have a detrimental effect on the player - that's what LR has to manage carefully with all the youngsters in particular.

I could have picked out many other examples of good players who've become even better after being switched into 'new' positions - Franny Lee, Mike Summerbee, Terry Cooper, Phil Thompson, Tommy Smith, Billy Bonds, Malcolm Macdonald and more - it's a long list.