Matchday Thread - Fleetwood Town v Derby County (20/08 15:00)

Ghost of Clough

18 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Don't think so.

Divisive topics I categorise as any comments that may cast the slightest aspersion on LR managerial ability or query his team selection, tactics etc. 

Fair play to him, seems to be fireproof from the off, can't even mention anything he remotely could have done differently after a game without being attacked by the happy clapping brigade.

I don’t think we share the same definition of divisive.  As far as I know being divisive is to purposely act to cause discord and arguments rather than contributing to a constructive discussion.  By all means be critical, I obviously have no problem with that, it is a forum after all! ?.  We all have differing opinions, and are free to to be critical or not of each other and the players and staff at Derby or whatever topic is at play.  But I can’t see any gain by being divisive…. 

17 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

People who say good things come to those who wait. I say Bielsa and Cooper. If a managers the right fit he can get a load of donkeys to win matches.

you are right when you get the right fit you know instantly

but LR has a difficult job on. this league was never going to be easy. i have no problem being patient with him, like it or not promotion was always going to be a tough ask first year especially automatic

4 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Think they would be describing us that way today, which was miles different to Tuesday.

Ipswich are a far more settled outfit momentum from the end of last season, they were always going to start well. 

Good comment.  Totally agree…

18 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

One worry for me is that Shrewsbury, Charlton and Fleetwood are far from the cream of the division and we’ve got 2 points from 9.

It makes no sense to cherry pick like that, in the same way as it would make no sense for me to say, Oxford and Barnsley, maximum points, we have no worries.

You have to look at the totality because that is how a season is played even if supporters prefer to look for patterns/similarities/problems etc.

44 minutes ago, Orphanram said:

Hourihane comments about us needing to wise up and influence ref’s in the game are interesting. I noticed him berating Bird to get up to the ref as the Captain and get in his ear after a poor decision. 

I don’t agree with it but true - in modern day football the captain talks the ref through the game and puts him under pressure. Bird has to learn fast.

11 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

We're simply filling the squad out at this juncture to make sure we have enough players in each position that's the hierarchy at the moment.

What's the obsession with a 20 goal a season striker, Rotherham finished second last season and didn't have such a player on their books.

They did have a 19 goal a season one though ?

1 minute ago, Bob The Badger said:

It makes no sense to cherry pick like that, in the same way as it would make no sense for me to say, Oxford and Barnsley, maximum points, we have no worries.

You have to look at the totality because that is how a season is played even if supporters prefer to look for patterns/similarities/problems etc.

I think that someone on here said at the start of the season that being a big club will make us a fine scalp for smaller ones like Shrewsbury and Fleetwood.  Taking a point off Derby even at home will seem like a win for many of them, so parking the bus and spending most of the game defending like hell will suit them just fine.  The teams wanting to be in the top half by next May won’t do that, and the games will have a different dimension to them…

How did we not score, it’ll come and when it does we’ll batter someone. For those frustrated let’s not forget this time a couple of months ago, I thought we’d be in for a relegation battle at best  not a playoff challenge.

COYR ??

Thought we looked good to be honest, never phased and controlled it.

I think the problem is we have a lot of orthodox players, players who have come up through academies and learnt to play the right way. It means we control the game, and you can’t dispute that I’ve not seen us control games like this in a long time, also we are playing good football. The problem is it’s probably too good and we are trying to score a near perfect goal with the perfect amount of space to get off a lovely drive low into a corner. I think we are missing a player who’s a bit unorthodox, who’s learnt their trade in the lower leagues and gonna rattle the opposition a bit. Someone who’s gonna take a bit more of a gamble or have a ‘by any means necessary’ approach. Problem is someone like that may cost money. 

We look ok, I’m not concerned at all but that’s my takeaway from today

Edited by TuffLuff

28 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Fill your boots mate. I'm sure the forum is positively wet with anticipation at the next in your stream of bitchy little digs.

You know what I've obviously said something to trigger you and without dwelling in the moral ambiguities of the comments I made its obviously upset you that's clear.

Not trying to take the highground but I recognise that hence this reply. 

24 minutes ago, LittleEatonRam said:

Really though, what do you expect? It's 5 games into the season. We've got no money to spend. Did you expect us to waltz the league? Teams will be desperate to beat us, to claim a scalp. We have players hastily assembled into a squad out of necessity. And - once more for those at the back - WE ALMOST WENT OUT OF EXISTENCE.

I'm not asking for the earth, but perhaps give it half a season, maybe. Is that acceptable?

I’m torn but yes this makes sense !