Matchday Thread - Derby County v Barnsley (13/08 15:00)

Ghost of Clough

47 minutes ago, LazloW said:

I was having a rant about this, then a chap further down the row told everyone that apparently there’s been a rule change whereby if there is a yellow card involved then the injured player doesn’t need to go off. Not checked out if that’s true, but was news to me if so (and seemingly the players and Liam!).  It’s a nonsense rule and the change, if true, seems equally daft and random. 

I was moaning too. Sensible rule change though, if so.

Apart from the 3 points the biggest plus on the day was the performance of Cashin - he was absolutely immense.

Doesn't take long for the whingers to reappear does it. Even before kickoff negative comments regarding Stearman made me wonder why some fans even bother. The second half was really not a surprise - it's been well documented we are some way behind most other clubs in fitness terms and that shortfall is only going to be more evident in the extremely hot, energy-sapping conditions of this afternoon.

Much has already been posted about the decision to replace Sibley with Smith. It's not what I would have done (maybe taken Hourihane off instead) but in fairness to Smith, by the time he came on our midfield was shot and gave him little or no support.

57 minutes ago, BriggRam said:

What happened with Curtis

Post match interview: pulled up in training. Was early in the session and he didn't try to play through so they are hoping it is not too serious. Needs to go for a scan on Monday to discover the extent of the injury.

My guess... Sounds like his hamstring to me, which as we all know, Curt has a history with ?

5 minutes ago, Needlesh said:

I was moaning too. Sensible rule change though, if so.

The player can stay on the field of play if he/she was injured as the result of a physical offence for which the opponent is cautioned (yellow card, YC) or sent off (red card, RC) and the assessment/treatment is completed quickly. Otherwise, the player must leave the field of play.

it does seem there has been a rule change, the change appears sensible.

I was a bit confused about the player receiving treatment rule. What about the times the players went down and hold their feet in the air and another player starts bending their feet? Is or should that be classed as receiving treatment just because the medical man/woman hasn’t come on. Strictly speaking they have had some form of assistance/treatment. Should they leave the field?

Loads of analysis and a fair bit of negativity on here this evening but at this stage of the season, with a completely new team, on a boiling hot day, the result is literally the ONLY thing that matters.

If we play like we did in the first half we can beat anybody, if we play like we did in the second half we could lose to anybody.

The referee made a meal out of a pretty regulation game, with some bewildering decisions but thankfully he didnt really impact the game.

Cashin was just incredible and it seems that the harder the game the better he plays which to me is the sign of a superstar.

When all is said and done, winning home games is the minimum we should expect but the away form is the thing that will define our season, so put today to the back of your mind and focus on Tuesday because another away defeat could seriously start weighing heavy on the mind of the players.

10 minutes ago, Elwood P Dowd said:

The player can stay on the field of play if he/she was injured as the result of a physical offence for which the opponent is cautioned (yellow card, YC) or sent off (red card, RC) and the assessment/treatment is completed quickly. Otherwise, the player must leave the field of play.

it does seem there has been a rule change, the change appears sensible.

Sensible to a point but when we trust a referee to decide what is and what isn't a yellow card is where it all starts going sideways.

The assault on Mendez Laing in the first half was a minimum yellow card as was the judo throw by Norwood on Knight but the ref saw them both as a bit of rough and tumble, and booked neither player

16 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Doesn't take long for the whingers to reappear does it. Even before kickoff negative comments regarding Stearman made me wonder why some fans even bother. 

Absolute nonsense labelling anyone who's worried about the inclusion of a player they don't rate as whingeing or scapegoating. I don't think anyone said we were going to lose the game just because he was playing?

All criticism of Stearman that I saw was with the caveat that he wasn't supposed to be the long term solution, something he has acknowledged himself. 

If Chester was available he wouldn't have featured.

Are only falsely positive reactions to a bit part player with a career history littered with mistakes allowed?

It's overprotective b*******, which I do actually get after the past few years where we all NEEDED to unite despite individual opinions, but it seems some have taken it to the extreme and simply won't hear any criticism without levelling it scapegoating

3 minutes ago, Loughborough Ram said:

Sensible to a point but when we trust a referee to decide what is and what isn't a yellow card is where it all starts going sideways.

The assault on Mendez Laing in the first half was a minimum yellow card as was the judo throw by Norwood on Knight but the ref saw them both as a bit of rough and tumble, and booked neither player

Yes  it's lack of consistency that annoys me. 

1 hour ago, LazloW said:

I was having a rant about this, then a chap further down the row told everyone that apparently there’s been a rule change whereby if there is a yellow card involved then the injured player doesn’t need to go off. Not checked out if that’s true, but was news to me if so (and seemingly the players and Liam!).  It’s a nonsense rule and the change, if true, seems equally daft and random. 

Having googled it, it appears to have been the rule for years. I found people talking about it back in the 2016/17 season. I’ve literally never seen it applied though. And to me, the ref definitely appeared to order the Barnsley player off the field.

7 minutes ago, Loughborough Ram said:

Stearman played well today

How low are you setting the bar? He did OK, nothing more nothing less.

I'm in a positive mood so I'll say that his performance did allow Cashin to shine, but really I think Cashin would have shone regardless, doing everything you may have expected Stearman to do.

I don't hate him and unlike the 13 year olds behind me today I won't scream for 90 minutes about his ability regardless of performance, but I'm not going to start pretending. he was or is better than he is.

8 minutes ago, Coconut's Beard said:

How low are you setting the bar? He did OK, nothing more nothing less.

I'm in a positive mood so I'll say that his performance did allow Cashin to shine, but really I think Cashin would have shone regardless, doing everything you may have expected Stearman to do.

I don't hate him and unlike the 13 year olds behind me today I won't scream for 90 minutes about his ability regardless of performance, but I'm not going to start pretending. he was or is better than he is.

I thought he played well, no pretending and no lowering of the bar. 

If I think that he plays poorly ill be sure to let you know

14 minutes ago, Loughborough Ram said:

I thought he played well, no pretending and no lowering of the bar. 

If I think that he plays poorly ill be sure to let you know

I thought he was decent today too. As soon as folk started moaning about him even starting, I knew he'd end up doing well ?