Women's Euro 2022

4 hours ago, Seaside Ram said:

Sky Sports will be going bonkers over women’s football now. My prediction is they will scrap the 2pm Prem game now and your Sunday double header will be a woman’s game at 2pm and Men’s at 4.30pm. 

PS just for the record , I didn’t watch a single second of the whole tournament as I have no interest in it personally.

But interested enough to post this?

I suppose what we mustn't forget is that it's not really about the victory - the truly important thing is that you got to express your duff opinion about it on a DCFC fan forum

God bless the internet

4 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

But interested enough to post this?

I suppose what we mustn't forget is that it's not really about the victory - the truly important thing is that you got to express your duff opinion about it on a DCFC fan forum

God bless the internet

I am upset and offended by your personal attack on me regarding my opinion which I am perfectly entitled to  This is 2022. I hope you will be reprimanded accordingly and will be expecting an apology soon . ?

5 hours ago, Seaside Ram said:

Sky Sports will be going bonkers over women’s football now. My prediction is they will scrap the 2pm Prem game now and your Sunday double header will be a woman’s game at 2pm and Men’s at 4.30pm. 

PS just for the record , I didn’t watch a single second of the whole tournament as I have no interest in it personally.

Animation Fun GIF

6 hours ago, Seaside Ram said:

You're not a football fan then? What are you doing on a fooball forum? It's like me going on a Formula One forum to tell everyone I didn't watch it because I have no interest.

Edited by NottmRAM

1 hour ago, derby8 said:

Women have made a good choice with next year's World Cup in Australia and New Zealand, men should have done that before now.

Australia tried but it went to the footballing hotbed QATAR instead I’m sure there was no brown envelopes exchanged as sepp blatter was in charge of FIFA at the time 

2 hours ago, Seaside Ram said:

I am upset and offended by your personal attack on me regarding my opinion which I am perfectly entitled to  This is 2022. I hope you will be reprimanded accordingly and will be expecting an apology soon . ?

Is that upset and offended as in crying and angry, or upset and offended as in "I think I will add a laughing emoticon as my reaction to said upsetting and offensive post"?  

38 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Is that upset and offended as in crying and angry, or upset and offended as in "I think I will add a laughing emoticon as my reaction to said upsetting and offensive post"?  

It's called taking the p***. Maybe don't get involved another time petal. ??

Excellent game. Loved it. However last season I did watch quite a few womens league games at West Ham and I must be honest, the skill and general play was poor. The national team is a much different animal. Perhaps it’s success might have an impact on the league game.

21 minutes ago, Turk Thrust said:

Excellent game. Loved it. However last season I did watch quite a few womens league games at West Ham and I must be honest, the skill and general play was poor. The national team is a much different animal. Perhaps it’s success might have an impact on the league game.

I wonder what level these ladies would play at in the mens league. It’s like the debate of where would Rangers and Celtic slot into the EFL. 

I just wonder, would there ever a be a circumstance where a lady does ‘sod this, I can earn more money playing for a championship side’, and then sign for a mens team, and would that be allowed.

What is the money like these days at the top level. Do players in the WSL earn equivalent to fairly crap male players in the championship?

4 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

I wonder what level these ladies would play at in the mens league. It’s like the debate of where would Rangers and Celtic slot into the EFL. 

I just wonder, would there ever a be a circumstance where a lady does ‘sod this, I can earn more money playing for a championship side’, and then sign for a mens team, and would that be allowed.

What is the money like these days at the top level. Do players in the WSL earn equivalent to fairly crap male players in the championship?

There will never be a woman good enough to play in a professional football league team in this country. 

The USA women get done over by regional Under 15s lads. 

No debate to be had, it would never happen. 

24 minutes ago, Norman said:

There will never be a woman good enough to play in a professional football league team in this country. 

The USA women get done over by regional Under 15s lads. 

No debate to be had, it would never happen. 

I think you mean professional men's league - normally you wait till past Monday afternoon to self own yourself into next week.....

1 hour ago, Turk Thrust said:

A rising tide lifts all boats - in my lifetime this was the standard of African football, not so now.

It will take time, my question around it though would be whether the 'average' football fan has the headspace for even more football. Which means the women's game may have to create it's own fanbase (which it does seem to be doing) rather than expect too much in the way of cross over.

55 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

It would never happen. Skill set wise they could go quite far, but physically they just wouldn’t be able to compete.

The girls don’t need to cross over anyway. People are enjoying it for what is is and in some ways it is better than the men’s game.

5 hours ago, NottmRAM said:

You're not a football fan then? What are you doing on a fooball forum? It's like me going on a Formula One forum to tell everyone I didn't watch it because I have no interest.

He has no interest in the womens game - doesnt mean he doesnt like football does it - lets not be silly ?.

The only other football i watch outside of derby county is the england mens team and every now again the womens team. I can never get into the womens games, but i keep trying and they keep improving. Even if i had zero interest in watching the games i would still be interested in reading what other people have to say about it.

3 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

Average wage in the super league is £30k per year. Some earn quite a bit more but the money isnt in the womens game yet to be paying the same as in the mens leagues.

And the women may be able to compete on a skill level, but there are zero that would be able to compete at a physical level even at league 2. The strength, size and speed of male athletes means women will never be able to compete at a high level in the mens game. Sports are segregated by gender for a reason. You could have men and women competing against each other in athletics as well, but then women would never win anything.

I dont think they need to play in the mens leagues though. The development of the mens game didnt happen overnight. With a bit of patience and perserverance i'm sure the womens game will continue to see strong growth in the coming years.

2 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

A rising tide lifts all boats - in my lifetime this was the standard of African football, not so now.

It will take time, my question around it though would be whether the 'average' football fan has the headspace for even more football. Which means the women's game may have to create it's own fanbase (which it does seem to be doing) rather than expect too much in the way of cross over.

Its not about skill levels though. Its physical attributes that make it impossible for womens teams to compete with men.

The african mens teams can improve tactics and skills and will have the same or better physical attributes as other mens teams. This is completely different to women competing in the mens leagues.

As i said above though i dont think they do need to move into the mens games. They set a lot of records for attendances in this years euros and i think i read that the final had the highest attendance of any euros game - male or female. A Euros win is going to do wonders for the womens game in england, but i think they would have seen strong growth regardless.

3 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

That's a great point you make. I'm genuinely pleased for the England Women's Team and everyone involved - it's been a long, hard struggle for recognition and they've certainly got it now. Hopefully it will lead to further growth in the Women's game and a greater share of the pie. 

I'm not yet willing or able to invest much of my time and money in it though, just as I don't fanatically watch the England Men's team, or much football outside of the division that Derby are playing in. I didn't watch a single game of the Women's Euros and only caught the last ten minutes of the game yesterday. It just didn't appeal to me. That might change in time but, for now, I'll wish them well simply as a remote observer. 

12 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

I think this could be the death of civilisation as we know it. Women will finally realise what they always suspected. They are superior to men, even in an area men have tried to keep to themselves.

If you’re a man feeling a bit meh about their achievement, it’s probably because you feel a little emasculated by girl power.

The Lionesses have done what the dopey, overpaid men’s team, with their stupid haircuts and choreographed goal celebrations, couldn’t.

In a game in which, let’s face it, they were being outplayed towards full time, they managed to turn it around and not only score, but see out the game.

Good luck to them. 

They’ve got some great talent, Williamson is so like Bobby Moore you don’t notice her half the time and Stanway and Hemp are world class. But the Germans and the French are better ‘man for man’ - Oberdorf and Cascarino in particular are fabulous and Malard makes Virgil VD look like a puppy dog. We won because Wiegman is the best manager and because she’s enforced the US work ethic that she learned under Anson Dorrance. It’s the same reason Liverpool and City are so dominant

The men have no chance of replicating the feat, because Southgate hasn’t got the same ability to pick a squad or manage a game