Women's Euro 2022

18 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

I saw the second half of Englands first match, 67,000 at Old Trafford...great support. 

My dinosaur mates keep sending pics of Three Irons on a shirt though.........

The BBC threads are full of mainly blokes criticising the quality and people arguing that you shouldn't compare with the mens game. 

It's a different type of game but enjoyable nonetheless and played in a decent spirit. 

I did see for the first time the waving of an imaginary card. 

55 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

The BBC threads are full of mainly blokes criticising the quality and people arguing that you shouldn't compare with the mens game. 

It's a different type of game but enjoyable nonetheless and played in a decent spirit. 

I think some people mainly have an issue of why these women are given such a big platform when the quality is generally rubbish. You can talk equality, but why women’s football over other sports?

I think women’s football is way behind in quality compared to other sports. Like you see in tennis, swimming, athletics, volleyball and boxing that the top athletes are brilliant. Better than most men.

You can’t say that about women’s football. The best women’s team is no better than an amateur men’s college team, whereas in other sports the best women are genuinely elite players regardless of gender.

There is a huge push for women’s football. Seems like one big marketing scheme to me. 

1 hour ago, Bris Vegas said:

I think some people mainly have an issue of why these women are given such a big platform when the quality is generally rubbish. You can talk equality, but why women’s football over other sports?

I think women’s football is way behind in quality compared to other sports. Like you see in tennis, swimming, athletics, volleyball and boxing that the top athletes are brilliant. Better than most men.

You can’t say that about women’s football. The best women’s team is no better than an amateur men’s college team, whereas in other sports the best women are genuinely elite players regardless of gender.

There is a huge push for women’s football. Seems like one big marketing scheme to me. 

Women's football is still largely amateur or part time so is obviously behind. It's sort of mens football around the turn of the 20th century. 

The wsl is the push, but below that there really is not much. 

Of course there is a marketing angle. Fifa are all about money. They have a product that doesn't resonate with 50% of the global population so their thesis runs, so they think they see an opportunity. 

I'm prepared to give it a go on that basis - seems to me to be competitive in its own way. 

On 09/07/2022 at 18:30, Van der MoodHoover said:

Blokes may criticise the quality but ffs they better not dare say anything like its a man's game when women's football contains less bitching, crying and whining in a whole tournament than your average men's game. 

I think it's great. Odd moment of petty behaviour but you get loads of actual ball in play

And I have to say Entertainment beats quality. 

Gimme end to end nonsense over a tactical masterclass 0-0 draw any day. 

The pitch and goals are too big which don't help. You get soft goals and really weird shapes/angles/openings that you wouldn't expect to see. 

But every women's match I've seen has been two teams playing to their limit. 

No "let's take 6 minutes per throw and settle for a draw" from the first minute 

3 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Blokes may criticise the quality but ffs they better not dare say anything like its a man's game when women's football contains less bitching, crying and whining in a whole tournament than your average men's game. 

I think it's great. Odd moment of petty behaviour but you get loads of actual ball in play

The lionesses 2 up against Norway. Some good moves by both teams carving each other open.

Also lots of pressing in midfield. These ladies look to have high fitness levels. 

On 08/07/2022 at 22:12, Van der MoodHoover said:

Anyone else watching any? 

Germany looked good this evening. 

England got a narrow win but will have to improve to beat Norway. Northern Ireland appeared for the first time. 

Matches down here at St Mary's. Surely an idea for some revenue could have been to offer PP as a venue. 

I think they were listening to you, Mr Moodhoover. ?

I agree about Pride Park.

Spoke to a few of our female fans on Saturday who went to Old Trafford last week. It was very corporate, over-strict stewarding, crap parking. They weren't impressed.

14 minutes ago, angieram said:

I think they were listening to you, Mr Moodhoover. ?

I agree about Pride Park.

Spoke to a few of our female fans on Saturday who went to Old Trafford last week. It was very corporate, over-strict stewarding, crap parking. They weren't impressed.

Just the 8-0 so far.... 

They're in Brighton this evening which is a much nicer match experience usually ?

18 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Maybe Gareth gave the half time talk? ?

Missed a lot of chances as well. 24 shots against the world number 11 team. 

Southgate could learn a lesson or two from the women's team. If the men scored after 10 minutes, it'd be sit back for 80 minutes defending the lead ? ? 

4 hours ago, SSD said:

Southgate could learn a lesson or two from the women's team. If the men scored after 10 minutes, it'd be sit back for 80 minutes defending the lead ? ? 

Gareth could learn a lesson from my secondary school PE teacher.

We were gung-ho and used to score seven and eight every game too.