Women's Euro 2022

7 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

A rising tide lifts all boats - in my lifetime this was the standard of African football, not so now.

It will take time, my question around it though would be whether the 'average' football fan has the headspace for even more football. Which means the women's game may have to create it's own fanbase (which it does seem to be doing) rather than expect too much in the way of cross over.

There's a bit of a backstory to that Zaire team. 

Their military dictator was so proud of them reaching the finals that he promised them a house each on their triumphant return and gave them a big kitty to spend in Germany.

However, after getting beat by Scotland and hammered by Yugoslavia (the team downed tools because their kitty and wages had been dipped by the official hangers on) he was embarrassed enough to threaten them with "don't return home" if they lost by 4 goals v Brazil. 

There's a theory that the defender deliberately kicked the ball away to waste time and knock the ball as far away from the goal as possible. 

As far as the team was concerned, they were playing that game to save their life.

2 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

Williamson is so like Bobby Moore

There was a stat that she’d not made a single tackle all tournament. She leaves that to Millie Bright. I’ve suddenly become Williamson’s biggest fan. I’d heard if the likes of White and Bronze, but then I was like, who’s that girl with the captains armband on, I’ve never heard of her, but she must be pretty good to be the captain. Bright looks like a bit of a bruiser, but Williamson looks pretty petite by comparison. But to not have made a tackle, she must just be so clever to always be in the right place at the right time. Made some great Keogh-esque runs. She was brilliant. ❤️

3 hours ago, GenBr said:

He has no interest in the womens game - doesnt mean he doesnt like football does it - lets not be silly ?.

The only other football i watch outside of derby county is the england mens team and every now again the womens team. I can never get into the womens games, but i keep trying and they keep improving. Even if i had zero interest in watching the games i would still be interested in reading what other people have to say about it.

Average wage in the super league is £30k per year. Some earn quite a bit more but the money isnt in the womens game yet to be paying the same as in the mens leagues.

And the women may be able to compete on a skill level, but there are zero that would be able to compete at a physical level even at league 2. The strength, size and speed of male athletes means women will never be able to compete at a high level in the mens game. Sports are segregated by gender for a reason. You could have men and women competing against each other in athletics as well, but then women would never win anything.

I dont think they need to play in the mens leagues though. The development of the mens game didnt happen overnight. With a bit of patience and perserverance i'm sure the womens game will continue to see strong growth in the coming years.

Its not about skill levels though. Its physical attributes that make it impossible for womens teams to compete with men.

The african mens teams can improve tactics and skills and will have the same or better physical attributes as other mens teams. This is completely different to women competing in the mens leagues.

As i said above though i dont think they do need to move into the mens games. They set a lot of records for attendances in this years euros and i think i read that the final had the highest attendance of any euros game - male or female. A Euros win is going to do wonders for the womens game in england, but i think they would have seen strong growth regardless.

Thanks for answering the first point , tbh I just couldn’t be bothered wasting time responding to his pathetic analogy. Cheers ! 

I see that the Krauts are whinging that they were cheated via a poor refereeing decision for a handball.

Sorry, but they still have about at least 100 years of marginals to pay back for the murderous Schumacher - Battiston assault in ‘82 that was let go with a goal kick…

4 hours ago, GenBr said:

Its not about skill levels though. Its physical attributes that make it impossible for womens teams to compete with men.

I wasn't commenting about women playing with men, I was commenting on the observation that West Ham women's team were a few levels below what we saw last night.

42 minutes ago, CWC1983 said:

There's a bit of a backstory to that Zaire team. 

Their military dictator was so proud of them reaching the finals that he promised them a house each on their triumphant return and gave them a big kitty to spend in Germany.

However, after getting beat by Scotland and hammered by Yugoslavia (the team downed tools because their kitty and wages had been dipped by the official hangers on) he was embarrassed enough to threaten them with "don't return home" if they lost by 4 goals v Brazil. 

There's a theory that the defender deliberately kicked the ball away to waste time and knock the ball as far away from the goal as possible. 

As far as the team was concerned, they were playing that game to save their life.

Mbutu was also the leader at the time of the Rumble In The Jungle - story in film When We Were Kings was that they were worried that local pickpockets and muggers would make hay when all the journalists and dignitaries came to Kinshasa for the fight. So Mbutu rounded up a load of them, took them to the dungeons where he had five or six small time crooks in a cell. He then had them all executed and said to the rest "try anything at all and that is what will happen to you".

I hadn't heard that story before though, thx for it.

14 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

I wasn't commenting about women playing with men, I was commenting on the observation that West Ham women's team were a few levels below what we saw last night.

Ah - apologies.

Then i agree with your point. The mens game has had centuries to develop to the point it is at now. 

Of course the initial level of the womens teams will be lower. They've not had as long to develop the infrastructure, etc, but over time they will get better and better

8 minutes ago, GenBr said:

Ah - apologies.

Then i agree with your point. The mens game has had centuries to develop to the point it is at now. 

Of course the initial level of the womens teams will be lower. They've not had as long to develop the infrastructure, etc, but over time they will get better and better

How many centuries? ?

45 minutes ago, NottmRAM said:

How many centuries? ?

Two centuries under various rule sets. 1.5 centuries on a more consistent set of rules. Or at least 6 centuries for football in england in general.

Not sure what the laughing face is for though. Mens football has been in england for a long time and women were banned from participating for virtually all of it. 

Football didnt start with the premier league believe it or not!!

It

22 minutes ago, GenBr said:

Two centuries under various rule sets. 1.5 centuries on a more consistent set of rules. Or at least 6 centuries for football in england in general.

Not sure what the laughing face is for though. Mens football has been in england for a long time and women were banned from participating for virtually all of it. 

Football didnt start with the premier league believe it or not!!

Copied from thefa.com. Educate yourself!

Women’s football has a longer history than most people would expect.

There were a number of women’s clubs in the 1890s and one in north London was reported to have attracted a 10,000 gate to a game at Crouch End.

Preston was the stronghold of women’s football in its early days, the famous Dick Kerr’s Ladies being formed there in 1894 and earning a lot of money for charity.

2 hours ago, NottmRAM said:

There's a lot of men on here who clearly feel threatened by successful women. They probably get bullied at work by a female boss.

That's either a silly comment based on the actual content in this thread, or you've copied it from elsewhere.

2 hours ago, NottmRAM said:

It

Copied from thefa.com. Educate yourself!

Women’s football has a longer history than most people would expect.

There were a number of women’s clubs in the 1890s and one in north London was reported to have attracted a 10,000 gate to a game at Crouch End.

Preston was the stronghold of women’s football in its early days, the famous Dick Kerr’s Ladies being formed there in 1894 and earning a lot of money for charity.

Excuse me? You are the one who seems to think football has only been played for a very limited period of time and if we're going to be rude to each other i'll tell you to educate yourself as well. Women were banned from playing for a good chunk of last century by the FA. And for most of the time football has been present in England women were not allowed to play any sport - nevermind football!!!

Again not sure what your laughing emoji was for in the original post, but im sure you won't be able to reply and will again go on a rather strange tangent that has nothing to do with my original post.

1 hour ago, NottmRAM said:

True, swap "a lot" for "some".

I haven't seen anyone on here who has posted anything that even remotely suggests anyone is threatened by successful women.

You appear to have a chip on your shoulder for some reason, but just because some people don't enjoy womens football doesnt mean they dont want to see them do well.

The task now for women’s football is to continue riding the wave.

Everyone was rugby mad when England won the World Cup with Johnny Wilkinson starring.

And again when England won the Ashes beating Shane Warne and co.

But both sports and the interest in it quickly died out when it came to the regular season.

Women’s football needs to convert the casuals into permanent followers.

3 hours ago, GenBr said:

I haven't seen anyone on here who has posted anything that even remotely suggests anyone is threatened by successful women.

You appear to have a chip on your shoulder for some reason, but just because some people don't enjoy womens football doesnt mean they dont want to see them do well.

Christ, you're going to give yourself a heart attack. Do you get road rage?

1 hour ago, Bris Vegas said:

The task now for women’s football is to continue riding the wave.

Everyone was rugby mad when England won the World Cup with Johnny Wilkinson starring.

And again when England won the Ashes beating Shane Warne and co.

But both sports and the interest in it quickly died out when it came to the regular season.

Women’s football needs to convert the casuals into permanent followers.

True but coverage of the two sports was quickly bought by Sky which reversed any progress at grass roots. Out of sight, out of mind.

22 hours ago, Andrew1 said:

I see that the Krauts are whinging that they were cheated via a poor refereeing decision for a handball.

Sorry, but they still have about at least 100 years of marginals to pay back for the murderous Schumacher - Battiston assault in ‘82 that was let go with a goal kick…

and for the 4 yellow card worthy challenges that Oberdorf made