Wayne Rooney

roboto

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Rooney, in the end, did a good job with Derby - albeit how much of it is attributed to Rosenior is anyone's guess.

One thing I can't fault him for is his work-rate an desire to get into management. He did really create a good atmosphere at the club when it could've easily been toxic and he started the season without know what players he could sign and had to lean on what, fortunately, turned out to be a very good academy. 

We could've had -9 or -12 point deduction and still stayed up that year and that's with a wage cap of £4k a week, wasn't it? In the Championship. Non-league teams pay more than that (sometimes). Admittedly, I've got no idea how this plays out at Plymouth and he needs good people around him but he will put everything into it and I wouldn't be surprised if he does a relatively good job, i.e. steady midtable finish. 

5 hours ago, Ambitious said:

Rooney, in the end, did a good job with Derby - albeit how much of it is attributed to Rosenior is anyone's guess.

One thing I can't fault him for is his work-rate an desire to get into management. He did really create a good atmosphere at the club when it could've easily been toxic and he started the season without know what players he could sign and had to lean on what, fortunately, turned out to be a very good academy. 

We could've had -9 or -12 point deduction and still stayed up that year and that's with a wage cap of £4k a week, wasn't it? In the Championship. Non-league teams pay more than that (sometimes). Admittedly, I've got no idea how this plays out at Plymouth and he needs good people around him but he will put everything into it and I wouldn't be surprised if he does a relatively good job, i.e. steady midtable finish. 

Just don’t know how anyone can see what happened with him and his agent teaming up with Kirchner for control of the club and then running when it failed as anything other than pure scum. 

52 minutes ago, Srg said:

Just don’t know how anyone can see what happened with him and his agent teaming up with Kirchner for control of the club and then running when it failed as anything other than pure scum. 

On the other hand, if Stretford hadn't paid the players wages when Kirchner's money didn't turn up, we might have been liquidated before DC even had his cheque book out. I regard Rooney quitting in the end as "doing the decent thing". He was too eager in his support for Kirchner and was possibly embarrassed about that in the end, but it's a bit churlish to disregard all of the positive stuff he did to keep the club together, even if he's not proven to be a competent manager subsequently.

1 hour ago, Crewton said:

On the other hand, if Stretford hadn't paid the players wages when Kirchner's money didn't turn up, we might have been liquidated before DC even had his cheque book out. I regard Rooney quitting in the end as "doing the decent thing". He was too eager in his support for Kirchner and was possibly embarrassed about that in the end, but it's a bit churlish to disregard all of the positive stuff he did to keep the club together, even if he's not proven to be a competent manager subsequently.

And on the other hand, he didn't do that out the goodness of his heart and was doing it for their own nefarious means.

17 minutes ago, Srg said:

And on the other hand, he didn't do that out the goodness of his heart and was doing it for their own nefarious means.

I don't know exactly what his motives were - he undoubtedly wanted to keep the deal alive - but I'd argue that at the time it was in the best interests of all of us that the players got paid, and the club's pot was definitely empty.

What I will say about Rooney is that he is amazingly driven. He must really want to be a manager to keep stepping down like this.

It would have been much easier to do what Neville did after Valencia. Live off your reputation as a player and keep taking Sky's money.

But no, he is determined to pick himself up and try again and again. 

That, I can respect.

1 hour ago, therealhantsram said:

What I will say about Rooney is that he is amazingly driven. He must really want to be a manager to keep stepping down like this.

It would have been much easier to do what Neville did after Valencia. Live off your reputation as a player and keep taking Sky's money.

But no, he is determined to pick himself up and try again and again. 

That, I can respect.

He's got further to step down before he finds his level

Word is that Plymouth have offered him all the Ginsters pasties he can eat. They shouldn't be writing cheques they can't cash.

I wanted him to fail at Birmingham because I didn't like the way he was parachuted in at the expense of a better manager. That isn't the case here, so I hope he does well. I'm really not sure about his job selection though. Plymouth have a relatively small budget. It's going to be tough. It would probably be better for Rooney if he took a league 1/2 job at a team with a more competitive squad and budget for that level.

3 hours ago, Crewton said:

I don't know exactly what his motives were - he undoubtedly wanted to keep the deal alive - but I'd argue that at the time it was in the best interests of all of us that the players got paid, and the club's pot was definitely empty.

So empty the WR paid for hotel and coach for an away game.

Wayne and Collen don't need the cash now, This is something WR needs to do to prove he has got what it takes in the football world, I wish him well in what venture or road he takes, The reason WR has advisors is he doesn't come over that "bright" no disrespect meant, Just that people will push WR in a direction that feathers their nests just as much as his.