Wayne Rooney

roboto

1 hour ago, kevinhectoring said:

It’s a sad story really. Rooney is in the thrall of toe rags most notably his toxic agent who has forced him through 3 managerial nightmares all for the sake of the money (which the agent shares). 

Would this be the same agent who saved us from going under by paying the wages when we were out of cash? 

8 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

Would this be the same agent who saved us from going under by paying the wages when we were out of cash? 

Rumour has it, he was kinda expecting to be fully recompensed for that... plus a nice little bonus bunce no doubt... until it transpired that he'd been duped by a chubby US golf fanatic masquerading as a winter-coat-stealing Nigerian Prince.

I know not just how much of that is true.  🤷‍♂️

43 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

He did that. He did that not out of the goodness of his heart but because the plan was to secure for Rooney a berth as our manager for evermore under the good offices of Mr Kirchner. It may also have been joint ownership with Kirchner. We had a lucky escape.   Oh and his (the agent’s) version was that the advance was a loan to Kirchner

8 hours ago, Steve How Hard? said:

I think WR should donate his handsome pay off to us to help stabilise our club. That would be a real poke in the eye to all those numpties that sang about us dying. That would taste so sweet. Not gonna happen obviously but we can dream. 

A genuinely excellent suggestion. I wish I had a route to Rooney to suggest it. Surely he doesn't need the money?

5 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

It’s a sad story really. Rooney is in the thrall of toe rags most notably his toxic agent who has forced him through 3 managerial nightmares all for the sake of the money (which the agent shares). Rooney was a brilliant instinctive footballer but - as we saw -  he doesn’t have the temperament or the acumen for management.  Not does he have the acumen for punditry. 
Same thing happened in a rather different way to Bobby Charlton but it was much easier for him to find a place for himself in the world of retired football icons.
No idea what Rooney should do now. perhaps buy a flock of sheep and drive them down Irongate?  

Not sure I agree on the temperament front entirely in the context of his time with us, I thought he displayed a level of cool-headedness in a dire situation that was quite admirable. He could quite easily have binned us off entirely and it wouldn't have harmed his reputation at the time at all, just chalk it up to us being a basket case, but he didn't.

57 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Not sure I agree on the temperament front entirely in the context of his time with us, I thought he displayed a level of cool-headedness in a dire situation that was quite admirable. He could quite easily have binned us off entirely and it wouldn't have harmed his reputation at the time at all, just chalk it up to us being a basket case, but he didn't.

As soon as the points were docked, there was talk of the possible ‘miracle’ of Rooney keeping us up. Rooney himself got that talk going (I said at the time that was foolish but hey). If you think, against that background, he could walk away without damaging himself, I disagree. And so evidently did his advisers.
What he did do was get very public with the ‘Mel Morris is a $hit’ line. Lots of people said that of Morris of course. But it sat very poorly in Rooney’s mouth because despite Rooney’s lack of coaching badges, experience and ability, Morris (what a fool) had sacked Cocu then demoted LR to give Rooney the honour of learning his trade as our manager. It was shabby by Rooney to stick the boot in, just as shabby as his hotel room antics and his bell ringer bullying. He should just have put his nose to the grindstone and tried to do his job better.

He was awful, here, at DC and at Birmingham. 

6 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

As soon as the points were docked, there was talk of the possible ‘miracle’ of Rooney keeping us up. Rooney himself got that talk going (I said at the time that was foolish but hey). If you think, against that background, he could walk away without damaging himself, I disagree. And so evidently did his advisers.
What he did do was get very public with the ‘Mel Morris is a $hit’ line. Lots of people said that of Morris of course. But it sat very poorly in Rooney’s mouth because despite Rooney’s lack of coaching badges, experience and ability, Morris (what a fool) had sacked Cocu then demoted LR to give Rooney the honour of learning his trade as our manager. It was shabby by Rooney to stick the boot in, just as shabby as his hotel room antics and his bell ringer bullying. He should just have put his nose to the grindstone and tried to do his job better.

He was awful, here, at DC and at Birmingham. 

personally, I don't think that this spell at Birmingham proves Rooney isn't capable of being a decent manager. I do think however that he needs to find a better fit next time he gets a chance, assuming he will. Birmingham had a squad of pragmatic grafters and very little skill.

It amuses me to see the same posters who made numerous excuses for Nigel Clough's struggles are finding it so easy to dismiss Rooney's credentials. 

I don't believe Rooney has managed so spend a penny on players in English football.

It may transpire he's useless, but we've seen managers do equally as bad early in their careers then go on to better things.

12 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

personally, I don't think that this spell at Birmingham proves Rooney isn't capable of being a decent manager. I do think however that he needs to find a better fit next time he gets a chance, assuming he will. Birmingham had a squad of pragmatic grafters and very little skill.

It amuses me to see the same posters who made numerous excuses for Nigel Clough's struggles are finding it so easy to dismiss Rooney's credentials. 

I don't believe Rooney has managed so spend a penny on players in English football.

It may transpire he's useless, but we've seen managers do equally as bad early in their careers then go on to better things.

Clough's struggles? The struggle of consistently finishing mid-table? It's laughable that you'd even try to make the comparison. I appreciate they walked into very different situations at Derby, but all I've heard about Rooney since he usurped Cocu is excuses. You can't criticise him because we were bottom of the league when he took over. You can't criticise him because the players aren't being paid on time. You can't criticise him because of the points deduction. So now he's had a chance to prove what he can do at a club without all those issues, and he proved to be even worse than he was here. And the excuse now, he's not been afforded the ability to waste loads of money. Will Rooney's shockingly poor managerial record ever be his fault?

1 minute ago, Anon said:

Clough's struggles? The struggle of consistently finishing mid-table? It's laughable that you'd even try to make the comparison. I appreciate they walked into very different situations at Derby, but all I've heard about Rooney since he usurped Cocu is excuses. You can't criticise him because we were bottom of the league when he took over. You can't criticise him because the players aren't being paid on time. You can't criticise him because of the points deduction. So now he's had a chance to prove what he can do at a club without all those issues, and he proved to be even worse than he was here. And the excuse now, he's not been afforded the ability to waste loads of money. Will Rooney's shockingly poor managerial record ever be his fault?

For all Nige’s faults, I don’t think he would ever team up with his pals and a fraudster to try and take over the club. That’s probably the biggest difference of them all. 

1 hour ago, Anon said:

19th is not mid-table. 😄

16 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

No idea what Rooney should do now. perhaps buy a flock of sheep and drive them down Irongate?  

Not a good idea as he'd fall asleep counting them.

He and Coleen are both multi millionaires so money is not the object...it may be for others tho...Stretford wants that £3million back the Yank owes him😁, The Rooney's live in palatial splendour, 4 boys that take some feeding, Clothing and schooling...but that's small potatoes, I don't see him just sitting at home twiddling his thumbs...Collen would do her nut, I get the feeling he needs to be somewhere, Punditry is out as...erm erm erm wont get you far, Managing 3 clubs where struggles were abound shows ATM in time he has a lot to learn, One BCFC pundit said "he went to fast, Tried to change how players should play, The players found it hard to adapt", To become a manager imo...he needs a Jim Smith or a Roy Hodgson type of person to bring him along in the game.

I get the impression WR needs someone to hold his hand to guide him through life's web of troubles, Stretford is a longtime leech imo, He needs WR as a cash cow, I don't think WR needs Stretford.

Where does he go now, Maybe in the Welsh mountains and sheep farming, But Coleen may have the wool pulled over her eyes with all those sheep 😉   

11 hours ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

This is why I like WR, He's from working stock, He could empathise with the same people, He moved up several rungs on the ladder of humanity with his comments and the paying for transport and hotel accommodation.

Slipped down a couple of rungs when it all went tits up 👎  

9 hours ago, Ram-Alf said:

Not a good idea as he'd fall asleep counting them.

He and Coleen are both multi millionaires so money is not the object...it may be for others tho...Stretford wants that £3million back the Yank owes him😁, The Rooney's live in palatial splendour, 4 boys that take some feeding, Clothing and schooling...but that's small potatoes, I don't see him just sitting at home twiddling his thumbs...Collen would do her nut, I get the feeling he needs to be somewhere, Punditry is out as...erm erm erm wont get you far, Managing 3 clubs where struggles were abound shows ATM in time he has a lot to learn, One BCFC pundit said "he went to fast, Tried to change how players should play, The players found it hard to adapt", To become a manager imo...he needs a Jim Smith or a Roy Hodgson type of person to bring him along in the game.

I get the impression WR needs someone to hold his hand to guide him through life's web of troubles, Stretford is a longtime leech imo, He needs WR as a cash cow, I don't think WR needs Stretford.

Where does he go now, Maybe in the Welsh mountains and sheep farming, But Coleen may have the wool pulled over her eyes with all those sheep 😉   

Warnock upstairs guiding him would be good for him I reckon

On 02/01/2024 at 12:04, therealhantsram said:

The equivalent of robbing a bank and then loaning them the cash with interest to get them back on their feet.