Carl Rushworth - Signed for Lincoln

Sidd10

19 hours ago, Srg said:

If that’s the case, you’d hope Wildsmith expected this otherwise you’d immediately find an unhappy player. You just don’t tend to loan a goalkeeper to sit on the bench, especially when you’re in our state. 

It’s kinda a given that any team in any division will have two goalkeepers that are looking to be the no.1, or two keepers that have at least made a league start 

2 hours ago, Big Trav said:

Problem with this one, Brighton want him to be guaranteed number 1 which is understandable. We want him to compete with wildsmith. Roberts looks set to be done soonish tho 

We should just tell them he will be - I always tell girls mistruths before the reality and it never backfires………

Just now, Carl Sagan said:

Interesting but I approve if this is because we wouldn't guarantee him a starting place. 

Yeah, if there is a clause to play him in the majority of matches then we shouldn't have been in for him. No matter how good he is, or might be, he's still a rookie goalie that is likely to make mistakes and drop form. Especially if he knows he's undroppable.

Competition for Wildsmith still needed, but plenty more fish in the sea.

One issue we may have with loan signings is that whilst we should be expected to get some top rank players in, we aren't allowed to pay a loan fee are we ?

BTW I don't agree with this new phenomenon of paying to loan a player, especially if it's in addition to paying their full wages. It smacks of teams acquiring a player, possibly cheaply, with the promise of a generous sell on clause, but then recovering the initial purchase price by loaning them out each season with no cash benefit to the original selling club. I'm thinking of someone like Matt Clarke at Brighton, who both us & WBA have had so far

Edited by SamUltraRam

Like others have alluded to, I have a suspicion this one didn't happen because we wouldn't guarantee him the number one slot.

Oh well... plenty more goalkeepers in the sea. I'd like us to try and get young Matej Kovar on loan from Man U for the season if we're still after a young one. Shored Burton's defence up when they played him in the last 5-6 games last season.

He sounded like a good keeper so disappointed this one didn't land. If it's because we couldn't offer him the starting gig then fair enough, but surely he should've been more than capable for the competition? 

I wonder who else we have in the big list of keepers? 

4 hours ago, Big Trav said:

Problem with this one, Brighton want him to be guaranteed number 1 which is understandable. We want him to compete with wildsmith. Roberts looks set to be done soonish tho 

I'd suggest that 15 games in front of 20k plus with a certain level of performance pressure to retain his place, would do him better than 40 games at Lincoln where he can be inconsistent and play regardless in front of an 8500 average crowd, but there you go.  

1 hour ago, SamUltraRam said:

One issue we may have with loan signings is that whilst we should be expected to get some top rank players in, we aren't allowed to pay a loan fee are we ?

BTW I don't agree with this new phenomenon of paying to loan a player, especially if it's in addition to paying their full wages. It smacks of teams acquiring a player, possibly cheaply, with the promise of a generous sell on clause, but then recovering the initial purchase price by loaning them out each season with no cash benefit to the original selling club. I'm thinking of someone like Matt Clarke at Brighton, who both us & WBA have had so far

It would be unusual for a L1 club to pay a loan fee

2 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Interesting but I approve if this is because we wouldn't guarantee him a starting place. 

Absolutely - premiership team yes you can have him but he has to play when fit - Any sensible response - he will be selected if he is the best in that position and selected on merit