Carl Rushworth - Signed for Lincoln

Sidd10

I don’t understand this. Yes, he looks good, but why have we signed Wildsmith who comes in as a suspected number 1 to then loan someone else for that job? And if this kid isn’t number 1, why we using a loan on it? Just seems a bit odd. 

7 minutes ago, Srg said:

I don’t understand this. Yes, he looks good, but why have we signed Wildsmith who comes in as a suspected number 1 to then loan someone else for that job? And if this kid isn’t number 1, why we using a loan on it? Just seems a bit odd. 

Maybe because LR wanted two keepers capable of playing at this level? That's the basis of any competent squad after all.

Just now, Crewton said:

Maybe because LR wanted two keepers capable of playing at this level? That's the basis of any competent squad after all.

If that’s the case, you’d hope Wildsmith expected this otherwise you’d immediately find an unhappy player. You just don’t tend to loan a goalkeeper to sit on the bench, especially when you’re in our state. 

Just now, Srg said:

If that’s the case, you’d hope Wildsmith expected this otherwise you’d immediately find an unhappy player. You just don’t tend to loan a goalkeeper to sit on the bench, especially when you’re in our state. 

Well, we're not "in a state" as such anymore, we're debt-free and rebuilding. I agree that one being frozen out could be a problem (and Brighton might not like it if Rushworth doesn't play much) but it hasn't been a problem in previous seasons, when Roos was vying with Carson and then with Hamer and lately Allsop. If they've got the right character, they'll get their heads down and work together for the good of the team.

I think it's a great move for both. One is young & wants to prove himself at the next level so Brighton will monitor his progress. Wildsmith is at a bit of a crossroads in his career but  has joined another big-hitter which needs to regroup. It's an opportunity to rebuild his confidence & reputation. Look at Lee Camp, career faltered at Derby, ended up being a cult hero at the club whose name we dare not speak. It does happen.

The worse that happens is that Wildsmith prospers (keeps his place on merit) & Brighton cut short Rushworth's loan, he ends up elsewhere in League 1 etc, & we just bring in another promising GK.

Competition is part & parcel of football, and it's probably what we lacked last season (depth).

37 minutes ago, Srg said:

We haven't got any keepers on the books and you don't understand why we have signed 2?

6 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

We haven't got any keepers on the books and you don't understand why we have signed 2?

You’ve literally ignored my entire point, but you crack on. 

22 minutes ago, Srg said:

You’ve literally ignored my entire point, but you crack on. 

Wildsmith’s gone from being way off the number 1 spot at one of biggest clubs in L1 to currently being in pole position for the number 1 spot at…one of the biggest clubs in L1.

I think you’re missing the point that just because we found out about this today doesn’t mean Wildsmith didn’t know about it from the off.

1 hour ago, Srg said:

What? ?

16 hours ago, Srg said:

Wildsmith literally said in his interview that he's here to fight for the no1 shirt which tells you he definitely wasn't signed as our no1 and was told as such.