Carl Rushworth - Signed for Lincoln

Sidd10

Can’t say I’m that devastated to miss out on this one, didn’t really want to waste a loan on a goalkeeper, particularly one as young as Rushworth who may struggle under the weight of expectation here. Don’t want to be forced to play a player who isn’t ready.

That said, missing out on transfer targets to Lincoln is a bit depressing. Shows where we’re at, I guess, but I still feel we should be beating teams like that to signings.

1 hour ago, rammieib said:

If he believed in himself to be good enough to mail down the starting spot, then he should have chosen us.

This strikes me if entitlement so we’ve maybe dodged a bullet.

He doesn't get to choose, Potter will tell him where he's going...like it or lump it

From the bulletin board of Joe wildsmith former club, Sheffield Wednesday...

"A good number 2 is somebody that can keep the number 1 at their best, and challenge for a starting spot themselves if the no.1 hits poor form. Wildsmith is pure back up so it leaves us in this position where currently BPF is playing very poorly however he can't really be dropped as the drop to the no.2 is too much."

So they didn't rate him, as good enough for the number one slot and he was surplus to requirements.

41 minutes ago, Oldben said:

"A good number 2 is somebody that can keep the number 1 at their best, and challenge for a starting spot themselves if the no.1 hits poor form. Wildsmith is pure back up so it leaves us in this position where currently BPF is playing very poorly however he can't really be dropped as the drop to the no.2 is too much."

So they didn't rate him, as good enough for the number one slot and he was surplus to requirements.

From what I know of Sheffield Wednesday fans it is very rare that they rate any of their own players. For that matter I don’t think they rate anyone else’s either. I think it’s something to do with being from Yorkshire.

3 hours ago, Oldben said:

Was it the Blackpool fans who made less than favourable comments about Allsop last summer? Those comments felt justified after his first couple of games in the team, but soon turned things round and performed very well over the season.

Pearcey has a good eye, is a good coach, and has picked out Wildsmith as someone he wants to work with. If he does end up being our #1, then I have full faith in it working out.

4 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Was it the Blackpool fans who made less than favourable comments about Allsop last summer? Those comments felt justified after his first couple of games in the team, but soon turned things round and performed very well over the season.

Pearcey has a good eye, is a good coach, and has picked out Wildsmith as someone he wants to work with. If he does end up being our #1, then I have full faith in it working out.

Hm ... perhaps it had more to do with, we are only able to sign players on free transfers, there aren't that many goalkeepers that are available on free transfers and/or are willing to join a league one club. Players who their clubs wish to get rid of.

13 hours ago, Oldben said:

The Wednesday fans who've been on here have given him much better reviews. 

FWIW, I’ve been told we believed we had this one sealed, until the player U-turned at the last minute. Very frustrating, as everyone at the club will have been expecting to have him next season, so we’ll now have to go back to the drawing board and come up with a new GK target. Particularly after Wildsmith’s… performance yesterday.