David McGoldrick - joined Notts County

Ambitious

25 minutes ago, RamLad1884 said:

Think TFR were actually pretty good before weren’t they? Didn’t they break the news for the goalkeeper from FGR?

I’ve got a vague memory that they were also called out by a few fans and some inconsistencies in their “reporting” were highlighted. Take it with a pinch of salt I reckon, but still hopeful he’ll sign. 

I personally can't see why mcgoldrick who has had a fairly consistent injury free season for the most part, scored his first career hat tricks, scored over 25 goals, loved by the fans, good relationship with the managing team (im guessing) would not give it another a year with us. 

We'll no doubt be able to offer him a little pay rise too and for this league, it will definitely be worth it to keep him. Best technically gifted player I've seen for Derby in a long time, I hope he stays ❤️

On 24/05/2023 at 10:31, kevinhectoring said:

i guess his salary last year was set by the eFL. And this year it would be ‘tba’. So whether or not Notts county is a stalking horse, there will be some to-ing and fro-ing. 

I’m purely guessing on this basis and D.M being a fairly smart guy, being as he can negotiate for himself, it wouldn’t be too much of a stretch to imagine after all these years, he might know a friendly journalist to run a story of notts county being interested.

He may well still want to sign for us, best season ever, the hat tricks, all other things considered ; it still wouldn’t be a bad tactic, part of playing hard ball as you go into negotiations.

Anyway, still think he’ll sign 🐑 

5 hours ago, Red_ram said:

Don’t hang your hopes on this guy. Screenshotted this last summer. Lies on both accounts. Does get some things right but all the bad calls mysteriously get deleted…

IMG_1917.png

Interesting - that account is different, as there is an underscore next to the name on the latest account,

I did look at their history and it stinks of some saddo either guessing or reading up on newspaper rumours and regurgitating them in the vain hope that they are seen to be ITK.

Utter drivel, I’m afraid.

11 hours ago, Zag zig said:

I’m purely guessing on this basis and D.M being a fairly smart guy, being as he can negotiate for himself, it wouldn’t be too much of a stretch to imagine after all these years, he might know a friendly journalist to run a story of notts county being interested.

He may well still want to sign for us, best season ever, the hat tricks, all other things considered ; it still wouldn’t be a bad tactic, part of playing hard ball as you go into negotiations.

Anyway, still think he’ll sign 🐑 

agree with all of this. i think we paid him about £15,000 per goal last season which I’m guessing sets some sort of record

he’ll surely say he needs to be the highest paid player. which might mean Hourihane needs to agree a much deserved pay cut. could be tricky !!! 

If he did have an agent, i guess they’d be looking for a one year deal with a championship club to set the bar

I'm not sure Notts County link has anything to it. I could be wrong, but I just don't see it for a few reasons: 

1) County have put some effort in to developing younger players, i.e. Rodrigues, Langstaff, Scott, etc. They do have a couple of players over 30, but I feel like McGoldrick doesn't fit their current recruitment model. Obviously, McGoldrick IS McGoldrick which leads me to my next point. 

2) David McGoldrick at Derby County can probably earn somewhere in the region of £500k next season. Notts County's highest earner is probably sat somewhere around the £200k mark. They may pay him more, but ultimately he's going to be taking roughly 50% wage cut to join a newly promoted team to League 2. 

3) McGoldrick supports Notts County as a club, sure, but the club and the people within the club are two very different entities. In reality, who a player supports, has very little bearing on any decision on their future. How well would he get on with the players, managers, etc. 

To me, it seems very unlikely that he would turndown £10k a week (roughly) here after arguably his best season in professional football for 4-5k a week at Notts County. Again, I could be wrong but I think it's a bit of a fantasist suggestion that's grew legs. 

Edited by Ambitious