David McGoldrick - joined Notts County

Ambitious

5 minutes ago, PistoldPete said:

Did he used to be known as McGoalDrought at Forest? 

my forest mate says he was dreadful at forest but is a decent player overall

lets see, we need bodys however good or bad they are

9 minutes ago, alram said:

i have no worries about them playing in this League as players.

I've read a few comments from our friends down the road that these players will think there better than this League and won't know what's hit them.  That doesn't really hold water as firstly they've all played at this level before and secondly as they've played the majority of their careers above it, they are better.  It doesn't happen by natural osmosis.

The age of a couple could pose an issue playing 40 games but depends how they're used.  If we're planning on using McGoldrick as a link up man who holds the ball up, others will be doing they running for example.  We do have quite a few young players hanging about and can loan if we sell any. 

24 minutes ago, alram said:

View from a Blades fan i work with: McGoldrick is apparently good at improving the team when he plays and bringing others into the game, but is terrible in front of goal. Would be more suitable as a no10 than the main striker. 

let’s see in due course the role we’ve bought him in to do. Hopefully we look to play to his strengths than playing him somewhere he’s not really suited. 

This is the first signing so far I'm really not sure about. We need goals and he's never been prolific. I get that the strategy might be to have a forward who holds the ball up, brings other in, etc, but he's also 34 and I'm not sure he's going to have the work rate or mobility to do that effectively. 

And if our wide men are likely to be Barkhuizen and Mendez-Laing then it would be nice to have a striker who was a bit more of a goal threat.

(I'm probably wrong, I've never watched him particularly closely, but then he's never made much of an impression.)

4 minutes ago, vonwright said:

This is the first signing so far I'm really not sure about. We need goals and he's never been prolific. I get that the strategy might be to have a forward who holds the ball up, brings other in, etc, but he's also 34 and I'm not sure he's going to have the work rate or mobility to do that effectively. 

I don't remember him ever having pace, certainly won't now he's getting on a bit. But he does come across as a clever player who will pick his spots, time his runs etc. I'm not complaining as we need bodies in and alternatives.

On 06/07/2022 at 13:27, Loughborough Ram said:

The only down side to McGoldrick is that his goals to shots ratio is poor, in every other aspect he is far too good for league 1

The same could have been said of Bobby "shoot on sight" Charlton but he was a pretty good player for a' that!

• 5 months later...
13 minutes ago, Boycie said:

July the 13th? 
Bump!

What a skilful player, like a fine wine, I think this division will give him a fantastic send off if he chooses  to retire.

maybe the old buggers got another season in him?

Forum Guidance 

Transfer Forum is for discussions on moves where players have been linked to or away from Derby. Links to source must be provided.

Please do not use this board to bump topics to discuss player performances, these discussions should take place in the main Derby County Forum, or Ex Rams for players that have left the club.

8 hours ago, Boycie said:

July the 13th? 
Bump!

What a skilful player, like a fine wine, I think this division will give him a fantastic send off if he chooses  to retire.

maybe the old buggers got another season in him?

8 hours ago, i-Ram said:

Forum Guidance 

Transfer Forum is for discussions on moves where players have been linked to or away from Derby. Links to source must be provided.

Please do not use this board to bump topics to discuss player performances, these discussions should take place in the main Derby County Forum, or Ex Rams for players that have left the club.

It's gone to his head since @uttoxram75 "revealed" his tattoo.