Nathan Byrne - Joined Charlotte FC

Rambalin

6 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

The assistant manager their is Andy Quy who played for us for a bit I think.  Tom Glick involved as well.  Huge club with a whole 18 months of history.  I don't think this has really worked out as planned has it.

Tom Glick is now at Chelsea as their “President of Business”. 

As a few others have said, I'd imagine it's the change of scenery and a chance to live in the US that will appeal to him. 

Simple stuff like nice weather and relative anonymity might make a difference in deciding where to continue a career. 

So what if the perceived level of football isn't at Prem or championship standard, not all players are bothered about that. 

The last 4 years at Wigan and Derby may have taken its toll and he fancies a brand new start. Haven't we all at one point? 

Good luck to him. 

As we’re apparently getting compensation for his registration (if I’ve read that correctly) then what advantage did he gain by having a strop?  Is it just the case that we wouldn’t get as much as he’s no longer technically under contract?

I’m sure nobody would have begrudged him leaving as he’s obviously better than League 1 (indeed, I’d have no issue with anyone wanting to leave really, albeit I’d want to keep as many of our contracted players as possible like Byrne, Bird, Knight and Sibley).  I’m sure somebody would have come in for him and there would have been no need for any silliness and resulting rancour. I doubt he’s really bothered, but it just casts an unnecessary shadow on his time here, which is a shame because he was a good player for us.

Edited by LazloW

Given that he's gone for what I assume is a fairly nominal fee, it's weird that no Championship club came in for him. He was arguably our best and most consistent player last season, and last season we were (points deductions notwithstanding) a lower-mid-table Championship side.

Edited by vonwright

15 minutes ago, vonwright said:

Given that he's gone for what I assume is a fairly nominal fee, it's weird that no Championship club came in for him. He was arguably our best and most consistent player last season, and last season we were (points deductions notwithstanding) a lower-mid-table Championship side.

Maybe clubs are wary of signing someone who has shown such utter contempt for the contract that he signed - not only that, but he also appears to have refused to return to the club while his issues were addressed. Suspect he's done some serious damage to his reputation in the UK with his actions.....regardless of his ability on the field

Edited by Gaspode

On 25/07/2022 at 09:34, Crewton said:

No, we don't know the details of the dispute. All we really know is that he apparently isn't turning up for work and wants to tear up his Contract so he can get a new club and a signing-on fee. 

Would be surprised to learn that the club is paying him but that he is returning the money - or at least telling them he’s willing to return it 

37 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

Would be surprised to learn that the club is paying him but that he is returning the money - or at least telling them he’s willing to return it 

I guess he'll be following legal advice on that issue, probably via the PFA.