Steve Nicholson leaving the Derby Telegraph

Ram@Lincoln

After 37 years service, Steve Nicholson finishes his reporting of Derby. No matter what you think of his articles now during the click bait world of the Derby Live website, he's been an absolutely outstanding linchpin to Derby media over the years. Before the social media world he, along with RD, were the number one source for all things Derby. I wish Steve all the best with whatever he does now, wherever it's retirement or somewhere new without the pressures of clickbait and online adverts. Thank you for all your hard work over 37 years Steve!

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/steve-nicholson-derby-county-telegraph-7075231?1=

5 minutes ago, Ram@Lincoln said:

After 37 years service, Steve Nicholson finishes his reporting of Derby. No matter what you think of his articles now during the click bait world of the Derby Live website, he's been an absolutely outstanding linchpin to Derby media over the years. Before the social media world he, along with RD, were the number one source for all things Derby. I wish Steve all the best with whatever he does now, wherever it's retirement or somewhere new without the pressures of clickbait and online adverts. Thank you for all your hard work over 37 years Steve!

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/steve-nicholson-derby-county-telegraph-7075231?1=

Agreed all the best Nico

I'm sure this has been on the cards for a while. I haven't spoken to him in years (since I stopped living in Derby probably), but I remember him and Gerald from my days doing some interning and summer work around the old DET building.

Always very friendly and had a great team of sports reporters around him back in the day.

It's a shame that the local press isn't what it used to be due to things like budget cuts, the shifting of how we consume media and the toxic nature of how people demand to know information as soon as it happens instead of wanting some investigation and fact-checking to happen so we can be served up a well-rounded and informative piece of information.

All the best to him on whatever he does next. Hopefully enjoying some time out away from all the craziness of DCFC and social media!

Good luck to him.

Despite the pelters he gets these days, he’s a good journalist.

He’s sadly been hamstrung by the situation around him. Personally I wouldn’t have stuck it out as long as him, but fair play to him for trying to make the most of the thing he enjoys.

A good man working for what has become a useless rag.

The DET's drive to chase digital revenue stripped it bare of any journalistic integrity in favour of retweets, clickbait and a frankly unreadable website format.

All the best to Steve. He deserves a break.

Edited by JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta

Really like Steve, hes a proper football man which is starting to become quite rare. Any tribute you could pay him doesn’t compare from the messages he got on Twitter, reading them gives you a sense of a very well liked and respected journalist. Also makes me think that whenever  I’ve heard a sky commentator give a good Derby County fact that it’s probably by Nicho passing them around the press box pre game.

Ive said before but with the right host he’d make an excellent football podcast. Regardless of what’s next good luck in your next venture Nicho, Derby County will miss you