Steve Nicholson leaving the Derby Telegraph

Ram@Lincoln

You only have to look at the comments from fellow journalists to understand how well regarded he is in the industry and how good he was. You even had Henry Winter posting on his Twitter feed. Excellent journalist that has had to suffer the digital age that has destroyed local reporting. His dedication to his role has been second to none. He’s a credit to Gerald Mortimer and he took on his mantle well, doubt we’ll see the like again l.

19 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

You only have to look at the comments from fellow journalists to understand how well regarded he is in the industry and how good he was. You even had Henry Winter posting on his Twitter feed. Excellent journalist that has had to suffer the digital age that has destroyed local reporting. His dedication to his role has been second to none. He’s a credit to Gerald Mortimer and he took on his mantle well, doubt we’ll see the like again l.

Loved reading his articles when it was the real telegraph with a late edition.

Can't beat turning to the back page of the paper during a transfer window and seeing we've signed a player without weeks of agonising analysis and hysteria. 

But yeah, papers are dead now. 

Best wishes in whatever he does next and thanks. 

1 hour ago, Alpha said:

Can't beat turning to the back page of the paper during a transfer window and seeing we've signed a player without weeks of agonising analysis and hysteria. 

But yeah, papers are dead now. 

Best wishes in whatever he does next and thanks. 

Remember the back page headline when we signed Igor, £1.57m in big bold red text, that’s how we found out. Always the one I remember. Was always excited for Monday edition, middle page sports pullout with Nicho’s full length match write up. 

Worked at the DET for over 16years, unfortunately when the DMGT group sold it on to please shareholders, it became a pretty bleak place. Now the website is so crowded with cr@p that you struggle to find anything worth reading.

In my time at the DET, Steve was always very respectful to "those" that worked on the other side of the door. A very decent bloke and I think he has probably just had enough of them wanting him pushing out regurgitated junk every few hours to drive a few more clicks onto the site.

Always had a well rounded opinion of football.

Sorry to see him go, but some of the flak he has been taking from people at times must be part of his decision.

1 minute ago, IslandExile said:

Since this is a quiet news day ? I'll report that we have a new fall guy at DET:

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/signing-derby-county-duty-bit-7090919

Why isn't he asking questions about the stadium hold-up?

And why hasn't he removed those godforsaken ads from all over the website yet?

Absolutely shocking journalism ?

Yeah, it's no surprise he's left - he is/was a proper journo who was forced to conform.  I suspect he hated every second of it. 

New guy Leigh has now taken up the reins with awesome articles such as this: https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/sport-opinion/derby-county-wayne-rooney-contract-7096452

I'll save you the trouble - no news, nothing, nada, zilch.  Just the usual clickbait headline and a re-hash, copy and paste old news article telling us diddly squat. 

Reach have destroyed the local network of websites, yet Social media and online streaming services have changed football journalism. 

When was the last time you read a match report following a game, be it the paper or on the DET or club website?

I personally couldn't tell you, we're talking years now easily.

You can watch the games for a few quid a month now with your own eyes, even if you live on the other side of the world the full 90 minutes are available to watch online.

We have forums, Twitter, Facebook, group chat apps like WhatsApp which allows you to connect to thousands of fans, following those you value their opinions.

Gone are the days where if you couldn't get to the ground you were reliant on one person to relay what they saw with a long read article.

Press conferences, again covered by the club through it's own outlets, across social media by the BBC who are funded by the government not advertisements so no need to find devious ways to direct you to their websites.

So what's left for them? The only thing that really drives the traffic now is transfer speculation, so to hit those Reach quota's they will run articles on anyone with some kind of following on social media, rehash it across multiple articles with clickbaity titles to draw you in.

Your OG journalists at the local press are up against huge competition in the transfer speculation market as well, very few will break any stories now.

Radio will go the same way, listener numbers will be massively down now compared to what they were a few years ago, only a matter of time until the BBC decide they can't justify sending commentary teams across the country to cover games outside the Premier League.

23 minutes ago, David said:

Reach have destroyed the local network of websites, yet Social media and online streaming services have changed football journalism. 

When was the last time you read a match report following a game, be it the paper or on the DET or club website?

You can watch the games for a few quid a month now with your own eyes, even if you live on the other side of the world the full 90 minutes are available to watch online.

We have forums, Twitter, Facebook, group chat apps like WhatsApp which allows you to connect to thousands of fans, following those you value their opinions.

Gone are the days where if you couldn't get to the ground you were reliant on one person to relay what they saw with a long read article.

Press conferences, again covered by the club through it's own outlets, across social media by the BBC who are funded by the government not advertisements so no need to find devious ways to direct you to their websites.

So what's left for them? The only thing that really drives the traffic now is transfer speculation, so to hit those Reach quota's they will run articles on anyone with some kind of following on social media, rehash it across multiple articles with clickbaity titles to draw you in.

Your OG journalists at the local press are up against huge competition in the transfer speculation market as well, very few will break any stories now.

Radio will go the same way, listener numbers will be massively down now compared to what they were a few years ago, only a matter of time until the BBC decide they can't justify sending commentary teams across the country to cover games outside the Premier League.

The Athletic are a great example of how you can adapt to the modern age. I just hope they get enough subscriptions for it to be viable in the long run.

7 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

The Athletic are a great example of how you can adapt to the modern age. I just hope they get enough subscriptions for it to be viable in the long run.

Well, not sure I want to pay for just one persons opinion?

25 minutes ago, David said:

Yep agree all that. 

I remember avidly reading the Sunday paper with its multi-page pull out of all that weekend's games, mostly played on a Saturday.  Some games were televised from the mid eighties but it was only from around '92 that Sky kicked off it plan to take over the world.  And to be fair, it wasn't long after that I stopped buying the Sunday paper, where TV provided me with much of what I would have previously read in a paper. 

As for Reach, awful, just awful. 

14 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I didn't renew past the initial one year introductory offer. 

For £8pm, I didn't find myself reading enough of the content to be worth it, for the same money I can access the Amazon Prime Video catalogue where I would consume hours of content each month, plus the bonus of next day free deliveries. 

If it was £2.50pm permanently, I would probably subscribe. I'm sure I could cycle through email addresses to keep taking up the offers, but it's just not worth the hassle.

Would be interested to know if they are hitting the numbers to make it a viable business model.

10 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Oh it’s one price for them all is it? What do I know!?

How much is it? 

Yeah there's all sorts. So much interesting content written by journalists given the freedom to write what they want, how they want, rather than being constrained by clickbait.

Not sure how much it is per month. I think I'm on a student discount.

https://theathletic.com/uk/

Edited by DarkFruitsRam7

8 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I read the non-Derby articles far more than I read the Derby ones.

They have some really interesting reads on there, about topics and clubs I'd never normally read about. 

I'm not a massive fan of their analysis articles though, I find stats and all that somewhat dry.

6 minutes ago, Rev said:

They have some really interesting reads on there, about topics and clubs I'd never normally read about. 

I'm not a massive fan of their analysis articles though, I find stats and all that somewhat dry.

Aye, I really like it when they recommend me a completely rogue topic that I'd never usually consider.

I don't read the stats and tactics stuff but I occasionally listen to podcasts they put out on those topics.

Edited by DarkFruitsRam7