Steve Nicholson leaving the Derby Telegraph

Ram@Lincoln

With how things have moved on in the last five years especially, one of the most unfortunate industries to fall victim is local newspapers. Clickbait is truly the only real way for these articles to keep their head above water, most rarely get exclusive stories and when they do they're chewed up by 3-4 different sites regurgitating the same information with a slightly different angle. Honestly, it's an artform to spin a story everyone has seen and sell it with a different edge. It's just the modern age. In order to keep funding you then have to absolutely hammer the website with adverts - some so intrusive that I'd assume 90% me included leave before getting to the end. 

Steve was from a different era and widely respected. I wish him all the best. I categorically refuse to click on any Derby Telegraph stories now because of how rancid the adds and format is - most of which I read on Twitter before it's even hit their website. 

Shame. 

Great journalist. I concur with others, Reach have taken over so many local papers and turned it into clickbait junk.

This then accelerates competition for other sites to equally post click bait junk.

Breaks silence. Revealed. Green light (mentioned from fans inside the article), backed to sign, tipped to sign (by some nobody)… Ah so much clickbait.

• 3 weeks later...

I remember Anton Rippon resigned when told he had to go out and video the stories he was made to report on. Not likely thought he. Newspapers never needed fixing, just the same as LPs never did, nor the atmosphere from old football grounds, or the size of Wagon Wheels.