Nottingham Forest Match-day Thread Saturday 22nd January 12.30

Anag Ram

I've not seen a replay, but I thought Morrison's foot bounced up off the ball. I didn't think it was a red. That said, I think we're a better side when Morrison isn't playing. 

The worry now is we get punished for failing to control our players. I'm not sure whether we'd be better off with a fine or a points deduction. 

Disappointing result, where I think a draw would not have been an overly unfair reflection of the game. Shame to lose to that lot, but rather lose this one than any the of next run of 5 games we have.

Battling performance. The young lads did us proud, although none of them had the best of games, but they are all maturing nicely (other than perhaps Sibbo ?) and if we can hold on to them we have a good team forming. Probably the biggest miss today was Shinnie; not a particularly big fan of his, but it was the kind of scrappy game where he would have been a better switch for Tommo after he was booked, rather than Morrison. Forest won because arguably they had the two best players on the day - Johnson who is some talent, and Spence at right back.

We can’t keep winning games. Today won’t be a bad day if Reading, Peterborough and Hull all join Cardiff by not making any great ground on us.

Up the Rams.

Whilst it was a disappointing afternoon there's some positives to take from that I think. 

First half hour you couldn't tell which team was in admin and had been under transfer embargoes for most of the last four windows. Most of the youngsters had bright moments, for Thompson's physical mismatch vs every player on the pitch I thought he covered really well for Buchanan and stopped them getting behind a few times. Knight, Bird and Festy didn't have their best games but showed they are able to mix it at this level. I've never been Lawrence's biggest fan but thought his overall performance was pretty good, sitter miss aside. We'll let him off after last weeks two bangers. 

We're asking a lot for that team to compete week in week out so whilst it's disappointing to end our unbeaten run I think we can appreciate how good they've been recently, just one game too far. Hopefully we can keep the squad together, get Bielik back in a few weeks and keep picking up points. 

Don't feel as distraught as I normally do when we lose these games, would have hurt more to lose to Cardiff or Reading today. We go again next week. 

Edited by Mr Tibbs

A game too far, and with the news lane yesterday and off field distraction too far. In a nutshell we looked mentally shattered and we played in the middle of the pitch rather than using Ebosele against Lowe which we all know was their weak spot. 

Bird and Thompson were poor overall, but it’s not a game to suit them. The impact of loosing Shinnie last weekend probably reared it’s head in todays game as we couldn’t battle and get the ball out wide into those positions we needed.

It ain’t a red, how Morrison played when he came on played into their hands so I’m not defending him from that point of view, but yeah its just a strong challenge to make sure he got there first. He’s not endangering their player.Ref needed a calm head, but it was long gone those last few minutes. Once he booked Lawrence he was done for. We never get anything in these games unfortunately. 

They aren’t a bad side, but they ain’t a good one either. Better sides than us will see a weak defence and quite a few players who are capable of loosing their heads. Spence is some player though, dominated front and back.  Probably the MOTM overall. They showed a lack of any class at the end and it showed them up a bit. Uncalled for in the context. 

Bigger things for us to worry about now 

Score was about right, poor refereeing yet again but yet again we weren’t so much beaten, we lost that game. 

Cooper made a great change of formation after about 20 minutes, and we didn’t respond until well into the second half. And the kingpin playmaker gave the ball away in dangerous positions 3 times, and didn’t do much else apart from getting sent off. His red card was arguably a bit harsh, and still justifiable. And also it was a stupid challenge given that the ref gave Forest everything for nothing and us hardly anything at all.

Samba only got a yellow for lashing out at Lawrence, who got a yellow for being there. It was arguably a red for Samba, who should have had a second yellow for getting involved in the fracas at the end.

We should have had Sibley on instead of Morrison, who will only be accused of not changing the game when he had a whole 10 minutes to do it in.

In the end we got what we should have out of the match, and it is our own responsibility for it. We couldn’t change it up enough when we needed to.

So we go again!

Just now, angieram said:

Agree about the squad strength, but I didn't think we played well today.

As they scored two good goals (from their point of view) not sure where we would have scored three from.

Lawrence's miss, yes, but the Morrison chance was an excellent block so good defending from Forest.

Was an excellent block and the rebound was just ahead of Byrne at the post.

I don't think we were at our best but we weren't as bad as all that. The ref was all for giving them push and shoves but not us, particularly up front. But they weren't that good and they can choose from god knows how many front players. Think we didn't quite have the experience and nouce at times. But not disheartened by the display.

6 minutes ago, DerbyRam! said:

Didnt Fozzy get banned retrospectively for an accidental step backwards on the opposition player?

Will Grabbans challenge be re-visited? It's quite clear from the replays....

Doesn’t help us. Needed to be gone at the time. To be honest I’d rather Forest had their strongest lineup available for their next two games against Barnsley and Cardiff. 

I wouldn't get too down about this. We were just a bit off it today, it was bound to happen at some point. We've just come off a streak of 5 games unbeaten, 4 of them wins. It's just a shame it had to end against them lot. 

Even though it was a poor game, the key moments went against us. Each team had two chances, forest took theirs and we didn't. That's it. More or less every decision went their way and the referee allowed them to run the clock down at the end which was a complete disgrace.

15 minutes ago, GadFly said:

Ok. That has nothing to do with the point I was making, but I don't disagree with you. 

The point you were making was garbage though, unless you're a red.

Someone constantly following you round, eyeballing you, talking trash and bumping into you in the last minute of the game is crying out to be laid out. Ref needs to get a grip of it and warn him for ungentlemanly conduct.