Sheffield United (H) Matchday Thread Saturday 15th January 3pm

Anag Ram

6 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

Sheffield played the ball around really well around the park, like Reading seemed to only better. They also played with what could be described as a beefy style of play, and the Rams struggled to either make headway or hold United off at times, yet battled on.

Yes not much said about that, but there were numerous examples of them leaving a foot in or a kick. Why did the ref make Knighty go off after being treated for a head injury (no booking given either for the raised boot!)?

Can we also talk about the referee

Felt he let a lot of stuff go, especially Sharp's  assault on Byne.
The irony being that at the end he spotted the Festy trip, showing he did have peripheral vision after all.

The bit I wasn't clear on was the rule around interfering with play which i think changed recently.  One time he actively stood in Bird's way  and blocked him from the ball enabling United and a couple of other times he seemed to just get  in the way.  I thought if that happened it was apologies all round and a drop ball  but clearly not

What a team we have. I would love to see the data from all those sports bras and see the difference between a couple of seasons back and now.

These men; they are men - not boys not lads, they leave everything on the pitch, every game. I am so proud to be part of this magnificent quest we are on. The EFL haven’t an ounce of sportsmanship in their twisted, regressive, genetically flawed DNA. I hope for justice now but it’s a faint hope, but I know for certain that this team will be remembered. Our newly promoted midfield general is 19 years old  has tenacity, drive, maturity and determination far beyond his years. Our club Captain, in the late autumn of his career, is playing football of the highest order game after game. Our team Captain has transformed from being troubled and petulant into the fine skilled footballer we always hoped he could be. 

Anyway, hyperbole aside .. what a cracking day. Tight game but we played proper football, kept them at bay and did the goal scoring thing pretty damned well.

Joz was ok but Fozzy made a difference winning headers and Colin just doesn’t tolerate bullies does he !
10/10 for every player, Pointless singling out anyone in what is a real team; but can someone explain why wrapping your arms round an opponent or two handed  pushes within 2 yards of a well placed assistant referee is allowable ? I saw one or the other on 5 occasions. 

Fight to the end, I love this team, it’s special and a certain chubby scouser needs credit for sticking it together with glue and sawdust ( extra sawdust from tree felling work available next week I hope ) 

3 minutes ago, Quagga said:

One time he actively stood in Bird's way  and blocked him from the ball enabling United and a couple of other times he seemed to just get  in the way.  I thought if that happened it was apologies all round and a drop ball  but clearly not

Think it's only a drop ball if the ball hits the ref. The EFL have confirmed that it's more than acceptable for the ref to block and/or hinder a player, providing it's a Derby one.

22 minutes ago, Quagga said:

Felt he let a lot of stuff go, especially Sharp's  assault on Byne.
The irony being that at the end he spotted the Festy trip, showing he did have peripheral vision after all.

The bit I wasn't clear on was the rule around interfering with play which i think changed recently.  One time he actively stood in Bird's way  and blocked him from the ball enabling United and a couple of other times he seemed to just get  in the way.  I thought if that happened it was apologies all round and a drop ball  but clearly not

The main thing about the referee today was how unfit he was. That’s why he was out of position so many times and having to guess decisions from afar.

Not fit to ref at this level. Local leagues maybe.

4 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

Who's up for a "Survival Saturday" in Blackpool on 30th April?  Make a weekend of it, and to hell with all this crap about fighting to the end.

We can then welcome Cardiff with open arms, and donate them the final 3 points of the season, as we stop fightin', and start lovin' (Sheep, obvs!)!  

To hell with it, I say!

?

Hotel booked Friday to Monday all inclusive, just need a match ticket.

14 hours ago, angieram said:

It's incorrect, it's libellous. It shouldn't be sung at all. People encouraging it are as liable as people singing it but it's helpful to know we have your details to report you to the authorities. 

We aren't twitter, you know. 

And more than anything it crosses that invisible line. I comfortable with  a bit of industrial language at a football game and a bit of baiting of irritating players. It’s a release, we all do it, and take it in return, but getting in to that sort of thing is below the belt, not on, coarse tasteless vulgar and 100% offside. It isn’t banter, it isn’t funny,  it’s poison. 

I think it's beyond heartbreaking the looming possibility that this squad is going to break up. Every single player who has played for us this season has been a credit to the club, they've all given absolutely everything and we could ask for nothing more. Today was just another brilliant example.

Any of our players who leave will have my full support wherever they end up, it's clear to me that none of them would choose to leave if they had a say in the matter.