Sheffield United (H) Matchday Thread Saturday 15th January 3pm

Anag Ram

I've absolutely no connections to Derby. Having moved into the Leicester area over 40 years ago and in those early days i could easily have taken the other fork in the road and followed the Foxes - so just think how exciting the last few years would have been. Stuff that for a bunch of soldiers!

Being an 'outsider', it's difficult to explain exactly why Derby County means so much to me - it just does and afternoons like today and the performances we've seen from this squad and the management team this season tell me I made the right choice.

Wow!   Wow!   Wow!   Wow!   Wow!   Wow!   Wow!   Wow!   Wow!   Wow!   Wow!   Wow!   Wow!   Wow!   Wow!   Wow!   Wow!   Wow!   Wow!  

That was one hell of a battle for most of the 90 minutes, and what a win! And a manager who has found the knack of making the right substitutions. And a squad of players who leave absolutely everything out on the pitch!

I was expecting a really tough match, and Billy Sharp to score - he always score against us, especially if sing songs to him to cheer him up. I have to say that as far as I know we didn't bring his child into the equation this time, and it is great to see how wound up he ended up being! But in the end they actually hardly gave Allsopp anything to do.

Sheffield played the ball around really well around the park, like Reading seemed to only better. They also played with what could be described as a beefy style of play, and the Rams struggled to either make headway or hold United off at times, yet battled on. And yet again we were playing against 13 players. Right from the start the lino on the South West line missed a throw that was about 2 yard over thee line, and an offside which was about 3 or 4 yards off. We had the ref playing back-up defender, and when he blocked Bird for getting to the ball he actually pushed him off the line he was running - not only was it shocking refereeing, it was a foul! There was Billy Sharp's slam-dunk wrestling move on Nathan Byrne, the keeper handling the ball outside his area - how did the ref give him a free kick inside the area when there was no-one near him till Tom arrived as he was picking the ball up, several two-handed pushes on Plange right in front of his eyes. Oh, and the reason Sky won't show Ebosele's run through United's midfield for the second goal - he rode a seriously nasty two-footed lunge which was at least a yellow card offence, but the ref bottled it. In fact, despite numerous bookable offences, the first one was for a man taking his shirt off. Yes it is a bookable offence, but come on!  He also bottled it when Tom got injured - once he was back on his feet Tom was having a furious row with him. I expected a booking, so was he taken off to avoid him being carded? If so, it was a great move by Rooney.

As was the change at half time. Despite doing a lot of good defensive work, Ebosele kept getting caught out of position with Sheffield playing the ball in behind him several times. Thankfully despite nice approach play, the Blades hardly threatened, but putting Ebosele further forwards brought a much better balance to the side. A bit of a shame for Joswiack who had a different brief today, and made load of tackles and interceptions. 

The match was fairly even, but slowly but surely we started to open their defence up, and started to threaten more and more, and the Blades defence cracking was only a matter of time. But it didn't crack - it was split wide open with one of the best goals I have seen at Derby in nearly 50 years as a Ram! The second could also have been a goal of the season contender, (thanks, Festy)  if it wasn't for that first goal!

I used to feel like this in the past - the Clough and Mackay years, Stevie Mac 1 in particular, but that was with the expectation of winning things. This time the feelings surpass those of the past because we are doing all this without the prospect of winning anything. The only prize is being able to stuff it up the EFL.