The Administration Thread

Boycie

We all knew this was coming, but still feels like a kick in the guts.

The cynic in me wonders if Reading will now be conveniently allowed by the EFL to appeal at least some of their points deduction, given what Reading said at the time:

The breach of regulations was calculated across a period of four years, two of which were unavoidably yet significantly impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic.

8 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

It never was.

It wasn't that we were using a different method than straight-line - just that we didn't properly show our (terrible) working out.

That was one of the EFL's arguments about the policy, in their words that it wasn't "reliable and systematic". It was one of their reasons for appealing against the original commission, after the original panel had cleared the club of wrongdoing on that ground. While it is true that the appeal panel recognised that they may have come to a different conclusion to the original commission had they heard the evidence de novo, they didn't actually overturn the original panel's ruling on that particular as they had insufficient ground to do so.

Rather, the appeal stuck because the appeal panel decided that the expert evidence offered by Professor Pope for the EFL was dismissed in a way that they judged was not in line with law by the original commission. As Pope's evidence was reintroduced to the panel, and he was the only expert witness presented, anything he said would have to be accepted by the panel. He stated that it was entirely impermissible under the accountancy regulations for the club to use potential player sales as a "future consumption of economic benefits", and so the panel ruled against the club.

6 minutes ago, WestKentRam said:

We all knew this was coming, but still feels like a kick in the guts.

The cynic in me wonders if Reading will now be conveniently allowed by the EFL to appeal at least some of their points deduction, given what Reading said at the time:

The breach of regulations was calculated across a period of four years, two of which were unavoidably yet significantly impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic.

Its Parry's last throw of the dice to relegate us, give Reading 3 points, or even all 6 back.

So let me get this right, 2 clubs were punished for breaching P&S rules, one of which was due to be asked to resubmit previously signed off accounts. 

Now Bristol City, Boro and a number of other clubs look set to breach, they increase the COVID losses an extra £2.5m to help those that were heading for points deductions.

Showing exactly why an independent regulator is needed for the game. 

Even if an extra £2.5m allowance wouldn't have prevented us from breaching, how is it fair to go moving the goalposts midway through the season? 

Duck off with your no vendettas, I hope whoever buys this club takes the EFL to court and absolutely destroys them, QC would have a field day against this lot. 

22 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

Happy to be proven wrong - but I don't think any of these years were ones we were deducted points for. 19/20 is possibly the only one we were?

Tried to find it and the first thing to come up was this incorrect drivel

Derby County have been deducted a further nine points after admitting to breaches of the EFL's profitability and sustainability rules over the £81m sale of Pride Park to their former owner Mel Morris, taking their total deductions this season to 21 points

The Club has now submitted Revised P&S Calculations which will show that the Club’s Adjusted Earnings Before Tax in the relevant Reporting Periods is as follows:

22.1 3 years up to and including financial year 2016/17 - £46.76m loss, i.e. £7.76m in excess of the Upper Loss Threshold;
22.2 3 years up to and including financial year 2017/18 - £28.12m loss i.e. £10.88m under the Upper Loss Threshold;
22.3 3 years up to and including financial year 2018/19 - £50.72m loss i.e. £11.72m in excess of the Upper Loss Threshold; and
22.4 4 years up to and including financial year 2020/21 - £40.96m loss i.e. £1.96m in excess of the Upper Loss Threshold.

The one bolded is the only one affected by today's announcement, and while the document doesn't specify which years the deduction is for, I can't imagine it would be for the smallest breach of the ULT. Therefore, it would not assist with the points deductions.

22.4 would therefore change to a £30.96m loss, i.e. £8.04m under the ULT.

Edited by Animal is a Ram
I mathd wrong.

Of course we are at a time critical moment in the club's history where we can't fight this now that makes it harder to take.

It is incredible that the logic from "EFL Clubs have agreed that a mandatory requirement for the amortisation of Player Registrations on a straight-line basis should be included" is that it wasn't a mandatory requirement before. But surely we were told it was so already, that led to us failing P&S, prolonged claims by Boro and Wycombe, and going into administration with a huge points deduction.

26 minutes ago, David said:

So let me get this right, 2 clubs were punished for breaching P&S rules, one of which was due to be asked to resubmit previously signed off accounts. 

Now Bristol City, Boro and a number of other clubs look set to breach, they increase the COVID losses an extra £2.5m to help those that were heading for points deductions.

Showing exactly why an independent regulator is needed for the game. 

Even if an extra £2.5m allowance wouldn't have prevented us from breaching, how is it fair to go moving the goalposts midway through the season? 

Duck off with your no vendettas, I hope whoever buys this club takes the EFL to court and absolutely destroys them, QC would have a field day against this lot. 

David the EFL  have no morals and other clubs are disparaging about DCFC .

I still worry about this takeover despite 3 bidders  .

Its not done yet by any means  as I just don’t trust the EFL at all  

24 minutes ago, Unlucky Alf said:

I was on the understanding Reading accepted the 6 points with NO APPEAL?‍♂️

If the EFL took a unilateral decision to reinstate points then I suppose technically Reading haven't appealed. I have absolutely no idea of the legalities involved but I wouldn't put anything past them. 

9 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

Yes. Reflecting that the LAP judgement didn’t say: amortisation must be straight line. Instead it said: Derby’s method does not comply with FRS 102

Some could be mistaken by the EFL charging Derby for failing P&S in the 2018 period, where one of the 5 particulars we were accused of using a policy which "does not amortise on a straight line basis nor does the amortisation schedule reflect the expected pattern of consumption of future economic benefits from the intangible asset".

Then they appealed against the IDC's decision to dismiss that particular...