Richard Keogh

DarkFruitsRam7

Richard Keogh - How Will You React?  

215 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think with the benefit of hindsight, it is not a huge reach to think that Mel saw an opportunity to reduce the wage bill by sacking Keogh for his behaviour. Daft, impulsive and I dare say incorrect.

It is also not a massive reach to say that perhaps Alfie, I mean Richard, could have acted with some humility, accepted he was considerably to blame for the injuries he received and “took his medicine” so to speak by recognising picking up £5k a week sitting on his arse, benefitting from world class facilities in his recovery from injuries he sustained from his own brain dead stupidity, was perhaps not such a bad situation, with a probable contract on offer again if he proved his fitness again, as he has done.

Maybe his case has shown legally he was correct in doing what he did but not everything has to be looked at through a narrow legal perspective and as ever not everything is binary.

The interview with the Guardian may well have been unfortunately timed, or perhaps cynically so. Either way it was an insult to the fans and the staff who were made redundant that very week, when the c.£2m he received could have paid their salaries for the next few years.

I have no sympathy for him now, I’ll have no sympathy for him when he gets a horrendous amount of stick tomorrow.

Always thought he was a good servant to Derby, always put his all in when playing. Shame it ended the way it did, I won’t clap or boo. Obviously if he does something stupid like scores and gives it the big one, or smashes one of our players then I’ll give him some. 

Sadly I won’t be doing anything as I won’t be at the game. (Bloody Covid - missed my Xmas work piss up as well) 

I wouldn’t clap and I wouldn’t boo. In the football world he’s entitled to do what he’s done and 99% of fellow professionals would back him and do the same. That just underlines what is wrong with football but it does leave a sour taste especially when he’s there demanding his cash after rendering himself unable to do his job when the club is on the verge of going extinct. He’ll say quite rightly that’s Mel’s fault not mine it’s a job at the end of the day, any animosity is us as fans who are emotionally connected to the club and think all players should be the same, when in reality they shouldn’t - it’s a profession. So yes any animosity I feel is probably unfounded but I don’t apologise for being a fan with an irrational emotional connection to my club.

I wouldn’t boo though because for 7 or 8 years he played nearly every game, ran through brick walls for the club and despite the vitriol from certain quarters on here has been one of the best championship defenders in that decade and boy would Keogh in his prime excel now in Rooney’s system and way of playing - as he did under Mac and Lampard and all the other managers he played for. As a player he was an outstanding servant to this club.

Edited by BramcoteRam84

When I worked in HR people who drove company vehicles and lost their licence due to drunk driving were dismissed contractually. Keogh’s inability to stay sober and behave like the captain of a football team left him unable to do his job. Therefore I will forever dislike him for the legs action. Makes me really angry. 

Intresting reading and yes i was under contract too the companies i worked for one instance Richard who worked for 3m aged 40 broke his leg playing football unable to do his job told will suport you this time, they adviced him to stop playing or lose job if it happened again, he was under contract.

Did not happen but if i lost my driving  licence and could not do my job even though under contract would have lost my job, so why is Keogh different it was a self inflicted injury because he was drunk, and through the injury could not do his job.

At the time Derby won the case and Keogh appealed to the players union and then via the EFL say no more, this is my recolection of what happened.

50 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Whether it's fair or not it immaterial. 

Getting pissed up isn't an act of gross misconduct. Neither is not wearing a seatbelt. And so on. 

Keogh could have been subjected to the club's internal disciplinary procedures for conduct unbecoming of a club captain absolutely. But not fired for gross misconduct. 

It is not immaterial whether it is unfair. Wasn't he suing for unfair dismissal? 

The proper legal test that a genuine employment tribunal would apply is whether the action taken by the club was within a range of reasonable responses . Given the series of actions that night,  Keogh as a professional footballer (who requires a high level of fitness to perform his duties), jeapordised his fitness by his actions and their consequences. It was right that he should have been dismissed, or as the club did, offered reduced terms during his injury lay off.

4 hours ago, Coconut's Beard said:

I disagree. 

He's been well advised to make as much out of the situation as possible. Nobody really cares about his own moral obligation, it's a win-win for him.

Parasite 

It hurts me to even partially agree. I loved his lion heart. He really did give it all on the pitch. When he wore our shirt he was a Ram and what we wanted put players to be.

But somewhere along the line .. As a mature player, a club captain he did not act properly or responsibly on a night out with the boys. Bennett being a naughty boy and letting his hair down getting in to bother is one thing .. The club captain is another game entirely. The club did offer him a face saving get out .. but he chose a legal route and apparently won. Well good for him personally.  I suppose people have to look after themselves. Yet from an ethics, honesty and being a real man point of view I was hugely disappointed. Loved him as player but felt let down by him as a man. But what does he care I wonder ? I’ve been to the beach he hung out in on Mykonos .. used to be wonderful. (25 years ago)  Now full of rich Arabs and footballers competing to see who can by the most ostentatious bottle of champagne and have the biggest bill and the largest group of hangers on. Tasteless. 

1 hour ago, Tyler Durden said:

Whether it's fair or not it immaterial. 

Getting pissed up isn't an act of gross misconduct. Neither is not wearing a seatbelt. And so on. 

Keogh could have been subjected to the club's internal disciplinary procedures for conduct unbecoming of a club captain absolutely. But not fired for gross misconduct. 

I'd say there was a fare chance he was dismissed for bringing the company into disrepute...tho I don't know under what procedure he was dismissed for.

"Providing you have proven during the course of your investigation into the allegation that the behaviour has brought the company into disrepute, and you have followed your company's disciplinary and grievance procedures, then you can proceed to dismissal"

In your common and garden tribunal, I'm convinced the sacking would have been upheld.

But.

As it went to a football(in house)tribunal and had the weight of the players Union behind him it was found in Keoghs favour

1 hour ago, nottingram said:

I think with the benefit of hindsight, it is not a huge reach to think that Mel saw an opportunity to reduce the wage bill by sacking Keogh for his behaviour. Daft, impulsive and I dare say incorrect.

It is also not a massive reach to say that perhaps Alfie, I mean Richard, could have acted with some humility, accepted he was considerably to blame for the injuries he received and “took his medicine” so to speak by recognising picking up £5k a week sitting on his arse, benefitting from world class facilities in his recovery from injuries he sustained from his own brain dead stupidity, was perhaps not such a bad situation, with a probable contract on offer again if he proved his fitness again, as he has done.

Maybe his case has shown legally he was correct in doing what he did but not everything has to be looked at through a narrow legal perspective and as ever not everything is binary.

The interview with the Guardian may well have been unfortunately timed, or perhaps cynically so. Either way it was an insult to the fans and the staff who were made redundant that very week, when the c.£2m he received could have paid their salaries for the next few years.

I have no sympathy for him now, I’ll have no sympathy for him when he gets a horrendous amount of stick tomorrow.

Post of the day

1 hour ago, Ewe Ram said:

When I worked in HR people who drove company vehicles and lost their licence due to drunk driving were dismissed contractually. Keogh’s inability to stay sober and behave like the captain of a football team left him unable to do his job. Therefore I will forever dislike him for the legs action. Makes me really angry. 

So Lawrence should have been dismissed then as he lost his licence due to drink driving

1 hour ago, PistoldPete said:

It is not immaterial whether it is unfair. Wasn't he suing for unfair dismissal? 

The proper legal test that a genuine employment tribunal would apply is whether the action taken by the club was within a range of reasonable responses . Given the series of actions that night,  Keogh as a professional footballer (who requires a high level of fitness to perform his duties), jeapordised his fitness by his actions and their consequences. It was right that he should have been dismissed, or as the club did, offered reduced terms during his injury lay off.

The proper legal test would have been who caused the accident that resulted in Keoghs injuries.