Liam Thompson

Day

8 minutes ago, cosmic said:

Remember Knight looking similar when he first got in the team. Raw, full of energy and never shying away. Comparing Knight today to how Thompson is currently playing, you can see just how far Knight has developed. The prospect of Thompson’s game improving by the same levels is very exciting. 

Different types of players though….

2 hours ago, Jram said:

Yeah he’s got a better engine than Shinnie 

Can someone confirm whether Curtis was taking the Michael yesterday when he said Thompson was “5ft2/5ft3”? I can’t believe he’s that small

Sounds about right to me. He's not as tall as I am. 5'5"

We’ve got a very good player on our hands. 
what we need to do is actually judge him on the type of player he is rather than what we think he should be mind you. 

He’s never been a goal scorer so any goals he scores would be a nice little bonus.  

His game is putting his foot in, distrusting play and moving the ball on to the next best places player.
He’s doing this brilliantly. 

It will be a pleasure watching him develop, but if we’ve got a mini Williams, or Kante on our hands I’ll not be complaining if he doesn’t score. 

1 hour ago, cosmic said:

Remember Knight looking similar when he first got in the team. Raw, full of energy and never shying away. Comparing Knight today to how Thompson is currently playing, you can see just how far Knight has developed. The prospect of Thompson’s game improving by the same levels is very exciting. 

I think Thompson is already as good as Knight and will be better in the long run

4 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I dont recall him ever scoring ?

Me neither but I think he's more of a link-up player than an AM. In the absence of Bielik we've really missed that and given the importance of the role, the seamlessness of his transition from academy to senior team has been deeply impressive. Can see him developing into the kind of player that the Spanish lad at Leeds a season or two back. Can't recall his name. Sat slightly deeper than the other mids and passed teams to death. Claimed he was homesick and was allowed to leave, only to return with a Prem team IIRC, which was pretty funny. Might have imagined the last bit though.

2 hours ago, cosmic said:

Not really seeing this comparison other than both are happy to put in the tackles and work hard. Knighty was raw but had boundless energy and a real will to win but he's had to work at the basics. That said, he clearly has and as a result, the technical side of his game has improved markedly. His recent performances scream Premiership quality and his character suggests he will carry on working hard in training and will continue to develop as a consequence. Not sure what his contract scenario is but I really hope we get another season with him. No reason that I can see to prevent him progressing in the way Philips has at Leeds.

Thompson for me though, is a deal more technical at the same stage in his career. He has the same endeavour, likewise a good engine but while Jason is going to be a very good box to box mid, Liam looks like a playmaker in the making to me. What really excites me about Liam is he not only has serious technical ability, but he seems to share Knight's excellent work ethic. Moreover, like Knight, he's a scrapper and won't be bullied. For me, he has the best qualities of Bird and Knight combined and that's really exciting. Such a shame we're in such a mess financially as there's no other club in the EFL with a midfield 3 of academy talents that compares to Jason, Liam and Max. What a side we could have built around those lads!

2 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Can see him developing into the kind of player that the Spanish lad at Leeds a season or two back. Can't recall his name. Sat slightly deeper than the other mids and passed teams to death. Claimed he was homesick and was allowed to leave, only to return with a Prem team IIRC, which was pretty funny. Might have imagined the last bit though

Pablo Hernandez? 

32 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Pablo Hernandez? 

5 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I was thinking Saiz, but thought he played further up the pitch

It was Saiz. Thought he just sat middle of the pitch though and barely ever broke out of a canter though I concede I probably watched him half a dozen times at most and may well be wrong. Seem to recall them beating us 2-0 without breaking sweat and him bossing the game without leaving the middle third though. A tenuous link perhaps, but in terms of quality on the ball, I think Liam has shown similar ability without the luxury of playing in a dominant side and whilst also having to put in a defensive shift. I don't see any obvious weaknesses in his game either. In my humble opinion, he's been the most significant factor in our upturn in form despite being the most inexperienced player in the side.

16 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Clearly a talented kid, but must take more time on the ball, is far too quick to offload the ball, and very often a backward pass when a positive pass is on. Still learning the game though, so hopefully this changes.

Agreed Mostyn.

If we have goal threats in front of us then you can play him but we don’t. Bird and Joz you’ll be luck for three a season. So playing Thompson means that’s three of your front six where we are very unlikely to see a goal. It puts too much pressure on the others.

Just now, rammieib said:

Agreed Mostyn.

If we have goal threats in front of us then you can play him but we don’t. Bird and Joz you’ll be luck for three a season. So playing Thompson means that’s three of your front six where we are very unlikely to see a goal. It puts too much pressure on the others.

about five minutes after I typed it, he passed back to Allsopp when there were at least three other passes available, Allsopp dithered and nearly lost the ball. Totally unneccesary pressure. If you're gonna pass it under pressure, pass it where it's least dangerous. If he'd opted for the pass to Lawrence, and Lawrence loses it (as he often does), it doesn't create an open goal chance, whereas the pass to the GK would've.