Liam Thompson

Day

17 minutes ago, sage said:

He is doing pretty well but people are getting over excited. Barely played a forward pass all game. Showing promise, neat and tidy but nothing progressive.

Puts tin hat on.

Reminds me very much of Hansons first 3 games.  He may have suffered a bit from less game time than this lad might have and never really progressed. I expect us to be giving a whole raft of 16 year olds 5 minutes on the pitch between now and January in case we need to sell them.  If he winds up on the bench he might never play again as his place is swallowed by this weeks embryo from the  youth team   Early days.

Just now, Jourdan said:

But is Rooney getting the the absolute most out of Sibley, Jozwiak, Baldock, Morrison or CKR?

Could they actually be decent under a different coach?

People talk up our need for a centre forward, but let’s be honest, it won’t be like fairy dust if the manager can’t get the rest of the team functioning.

What has this got to do with Thompson? Just an excuse for a dig? 

10 minutes ago, sage said:

He is doing well, but every time a decent young player emerges, fans lose their poo over them. Only Hughes was worth the hype.

So far he looks as promising as Bird and Knight.  

Fair comment but cut some slack..... After the past couple of years and the current situation, we need to feel good about something.

Youngsters breaking through is always a positive, even at the best of times, but right now, it's just about all we have.

7 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

But is Rooney getting the the absolute most out of Sibley, Jozwiak, Baldock, Morrison or CKR?

Could they actually be decent under a different coach?

People talk up our need for a centre forward, but let’s be honest, it won’t be like fairy dust if the manager can’t get the rest of the team functioning.

What do you do when we win games? 

You only ever post after we lose.

No posts at all after the Bournemouth and Fulham games.

10 minutes ago, angieram said:

What do you do when we win games? 

You only ever post after we lose.

No posts at all after the Bournemouth and Fulham games.

I was in Scotland enjoying a city break with my girlfriend this past week.

This is an uncharacteristically poor post from you, because I post after almost all games, win, lose or draw.

6 hours ago, Jourdan said:

I was in Scotland enjoying a city break with my girlfriend this past week.

This is an uncharacteristically poor post from you, because I post after almost all games, win, lose or draw.

Sorry Jourdan, but a bit like political commentators on the news when the have a big wig to interview. There is a an element of analysis in your posts but it is secondary and overwhelmed by a desire to point fingers

8 hours ago, sage said:

He is doing pretty well but people are getting over excited. Barely played a forward pass all game. Showing promise, neat and tidy but nothing progressive.

Puts tin hat on.

I actually agree with you for what’s it’s worth but I think the more progressive passes will come when he’s established himself in the team. He’s just stated 3 championship games for the first time in his career. Best way to embed himself in the team is to do the basics right first. His tackling and one and ones is brilliant, always looks in control of the ball, once he feels more comfortable in the team Hel try that defence splitting pass, no doubt about it. If he’s still here that is.

Liam has done exceptionally well but anyone thinking he’s going to play defence splitting passes hasn’t seen him play prior to this. How he’s played the last three games is exactly how he’s played in the 23s and 18s before that. That’s not a criticism btw but an understanding of the type of player he is will help avoid disappointment from those that want him to be something else.

His defensive work was exceptionally good for a player of his age. His ball retention was excellent but I agree with the other comment on it which is he doesn’t play forward passes and his game is, generally speaking, about finding the next player in the link and passing to the exact person you or I would expect him to pass to…normally the next closest player.

Like I say that’s not a criticism but it is a type that we seem to have cultivated in abundance (Max Bird and now it seems Ravel Morrison) and to make it worse from what I’ve seen in the 23s it’s also what we’ve turned Louie Watson into and also what it seems people like in Darren Robinson. 

Whether its our predicament and the importance the staff have and do place on not losing and by retaining possession we limit the oppositions chances of scoring I don’t know but players like Jozwiak and Sibley are possibly seen as too much of a risk within that framework. 

FWIW I don’t think Liams performance last night was any worse or any better and importantly it wasn’t any different to his performance against Bournemouth….but with a different result comes a different perception sand I’ve found in football perception is king and facts mean very little. 

Edited by Ravabeerbelly

25 minutes ago, Ravabeerbelly said:

Liam has done exceptionally well but anyone thinking he’s going to play defence splitting passes hasn’t seen him play prior to this. How he’s played the last three games is exactly how he’s played in the 23s and 18s before that. That’s not a criticism btw but an understanding of the type of player he is will help avoid disappointment from those that want him to be something else.

His defensive work was exceptionally good for a player of his age. His ball retention was excellent but I agree with the other comment on it which is he doesn’t play forward passes and his game is, generally speaking, about finding the next player in the link and passing to the exact person you or I would expect him to pass to…normally the next closest player.

Like I say that’s not a criticism but it is a type that we seem to have cultivated in abundance (Max Bird and now it seems Ravel Morrison) and to make it worse from what I’ve seen in the 23s it’s also what we’ve turned Louie Watson into and also what it seems people like in Darren Robinson. 

Whether its our predicament and the importance the staff have and do place on not losing and by retaining possession we limit the oppositions chances of scoring I don’t know but players like Jozwiak and Sibley are possibly seen as too much of a risk within that framework. 

FWIW I don’t think Liams performance last night was any worse or any better and importantly it wasn’t any different to his performance against Bournemouth….but with a different result comes a different perception sand I’ve found in football perception is king and facts mean very little. 

I don't think he performance was any different and not expecting Pirlo but the next stage for him is to play some slightly more ambitious passes. You can't always give the responsibility to someone else. 

Promising but not the Messiah

Edited by sage

6 minutes ago, sage said:

I don't think he performance was any different and not expecting Pirlo but the next stage for him is to play some slightly more ambitious passes. You can't always give the responsibility to someone else. 

That’s my point….if you’re waiting for the “next stage” I’m not sure you’ll see it. He may of course get a bit braver…look at Shinnies pass for the goal last…but it’s not his game and it won’t become his game because he’s not that type. His defensive work is probably his biggest asset. If you’re expecting the messiah you’re going to experience perennial disappointment.

Edited by Ravabeerbelly

30 minutes ago, Ravabeerbelly said:

That’s my point….if you’re waiting for the “next stage” I’m not sure you’ll see it. He may of course get a bit braver…look at Shinnies pass for the goal last…but it’s not his game and it won’t become his game because he’s not that type. His defensive work is probably his biggest asset. If you’re expecting the messiah you’re going to experience perennial disappointment.

You appear to have missed my point. You are agreeing with me and arguing with me at the same time. 

I watched last night and was impressed by well he did all the simple things. Positioning, speed of distribution, timing of his pressing, he was just making sure he got all the basics done really efficiently, and that to me is the sign of a young player who a) is switched on and b) has been well coached.

Certainly didn't have the WOW factor that some other youngsters have had over the last few years, but I have a feeling he could be very, very important to us in League One next season. Ebosele, too. 

44 minutes ago, sage said:

I like the way that he is always prepared to take responsibility for the ball in helping others out, and in having the confidence to beat a player. In his first three games I think he has looked the part already. To me he will always be a busy player who will not give the opposition a moments rest. I would think that the management team have told him to 'keep it simple' and he probably gets that message from the senior pros as well. It will be interesting to see whether he has the ability to see a telling pass forward and execute it. Maybe we will have to wait until we actually sign a couple of forwards who will give him that option at some  point. The same goes for others in our midfield as well, the options they have are either not there or so repetitive they are easily defended.

He is very promising.

35 minutes ago, sage said:

You appear to have missed my point. You are agreeing with me and arguing with me at the same time. 

I said in my first post on the subject that I agreed with people saying he kept it very simple. My point is anyone expecting it to change wot him suddenly become a midfield ‘creator’ are in for a disappointment and that’s not fair on the lad to want him to be or to judge on being, something he’s not.