Mel Morris fan club

Spanish

1 hour ago, Gritstone Ram said:

How has he lost £120m? Was it our fault? Was it anyone’s fault apart from his own. If I had lost any money and it was down to my own density then I wouldn’t turn around and make out I was doing anyone a favour for being such an idiot.

M(&)M chased the rainbow. Unfortunately, it fell like skittles.

/Let the sweety puns commence

2 hours ago, Warwick Ram said:

In the 2014 to 2015 we were favourites for promotion. I would say we were 95% there.

Investing in the academy is another money making scheme. Chelsea have been very good at this. Get players young, coach them well and sell them on. Investing in the academy only benefits the team if we keep the players who make it through or the money from selling them is reinvested. None of these have happened.

I am not saying he is an asset stripper. I am saying he saw a business opportunity and capitalised but failed. Buy the club for a relatively low price, achieve promotion, invest in the academy, make the stadium a revenue making stream outside of football then sell the club for a big price. Basically make the club an attractive prospect to new owners. An established premier league team with a stadium that can be used for concerts.

He has done this with at least two other businesses.

Oh and he does have the first call over our biggest asset the stadium as his company owns it. Oh and now he has ducked off with us in administration and a shed load of debt. I wonder if he is charging us rent to play there? Has he given it back yet for nothing or even a minimal fee? Not yet. He will sell the stadium back to the new owners as some point.

There's so much nonsense in this that I can't be bothered to do a proper response. 

Morris has made a shedload of mistakes and ended up, for whatever reasons, unable/unwilling to fund the club any further and leaving us in a dire position, but if he'd truly wanted to maximise his return, he'd have carried on with the GSE model, investing the minimum necessary and hoping to fluke promotion. 

The irony is that whilst GSCE's approach was dull, it probably got closer to promotion than the millions Mel invested. Clough developed a side that was not far off from success but needed a bit of investment. McClaren took it on to finish 3rd, higher than any of the subsequent play-off finishes under Morris.

I think stability can help in the face of rivals having money to spend. QPR illustrate this, as do Brentford, the more famous model. QPR finished 13th & 9th under Warburton, losing 9L & 8L at home in each respective season. They were a work in progress. They only had 4W last season up to January before a strong second half with 15W. 

20 hours ago, Crewton said:

There's so much nonsense in this that I can't be bothered to do a proper response. 

Morris has made a shedload of mistakes and ended up, for whatever reasons, unable/unwilling to fund the club any further and leaving us in a dire position, but if he'd truly wanted to maximise his return, he'd have carried on with the GSE model, investing the minimum necessary and hoping to fluke promotion. 

The GSE model got us nowhere. We were not going to fluke a promotion. It was also not going to make any money. It would have us break even every year and be sustainable whilst never achieving anything.

To get promotion you need investment and good recruitment.

What other nonsense is there.

On 21/11/2021 at 11:45, Coconut's Beard said:

We e already used Nick De Marco who's considered the best and lost

When Nick De Marco represented us we won the case.

The EFL then get their own LAP to overturn the decision with no right of appeal.

Had there been a right of appeal, I have no doubt that we would have won again.

Corrupt system set up for their to only be one winner.

On 03/12/2021 at 13:00, kevinhectoring said:

Well he’s said he’ll waive £120m (?) of debt and the admins have confirmed the stadium will be part of the sale. So seems he’s already agreed to do exactly what you say he should be doing.  It’s more than many would do in his position imho 

The club has no debt to him for him to waive.

He led us to believe that his investment in the club was via equity.

Claiming to now 'write off' the debt in the vehicle that was used to buy the equity is completely disingenuous but not to be unexpected from MM.

The time for Mel to settle all the debts, and sell a going concern for a tenner... as he once hinted at being a possibility!... simply to get himself "The hell out of here" has long since passed.  The time to do that was well before Administration and the minus 12 points.

A clear bank account and cheap purchase price would still have been very attractive to some... even with a then pending points deduction for the FFP debacle, and a playing squad still at risk of a relegation battle!  

For whatever reason, he never had the dosh, or the inclination... or both!

It most certainly ain't gonna happen now!

5 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

The time for Mel to settle all the debts, and sell a going concern for a tenner... as he once hinted at being a possibility!... simply to get himself "The hell out of here" has long since passed.  The time to do that was well before Administration and the minus 12 points.

A clear bank account and cheap purchase price would still have been very attractive to some... even with a then pending points deduction for the FFP debacle, and a playing squad still at risk of a relegation battle!  

What’s done is done… we need to focus on the current threats to the club , the challenges that relegation will bring etc. Morris is history

8 minutes ago, PistoldPete said:

What’s done is done… we need to focus on the current threats to the club , the challenges that relegation will bring etc. Morris is history

In person maybe, but his legacy will live on for a good few years. The club, fans are the ones that have to live with it.

1 hour ago, Mucker1884 said:

I believe he did say he’d sell the club for a pound (or something similar) but I don’t think was on the basis that he’d also settle all the debts.

22 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I believe he did say he’d sell the club for a pound (or something similar) but I don’t think was on the basis that he’d also settle all the debts.

I frequent internet forums as opposed to courtrooms for a reason!  I don't do full facts, and all my posts are very "Paraphrase" based!  ?
Also, I initially typed £1, but bottled out, and changed it to a tenner... which I am now rather annoyed at myself for!

Other than that... erm... well, nothing... I guess!  ??

In situations like this the former owner should be responsible for clearing at least some of the debt.

As things stand he has walked away and its the players, staff, and supporters who are punished. How is that? Point deductions shouldn't even be a thing. Punishment should be that Derby County (or anyone else) are unable to be promoted for a season or two and a wage cap applied. No reward, and a team limited in comparison to the rest of the league. That's it.

We've seen it before Derby and we will see it again. No owner should be able to punish so many innocent people and that's partly on the league to manage.

of course we can't change the past but for anyone to make excuses for Mel is beyond belief it really is!!

Our Football club is in deep trouble and owes millions to HMRC ( No Excuses ) and yet some see that Mel is not totally to blame !!! it beggars belief!!  We seriously might not even have a football club soon and although I agree ranting and raving will cure nothing I cannot and will not forgive MM of how he's treated this football club...Covid is not an excuse ...I don't see other clubs in a total embarrasing mess like us and I don't see other clubs making a complete hash of it regarding amortisation etc etc ...its a shambles full stop and starts and finishes with the head man who generously  walked away.l...yeah thanks Mel.....lol..........The worst thing that ever happened to our club was the day MM gained control....we were not far away before he intervened and have gone backwards since and now face liquidation if we dont find 30m owed in taxes!!! I'll go further to say had we been run correctly we might be a lot nearer the prem than league1 if we have a football club to actually play in the 3rd tier ......shambles!!! and a disgrace!!