Fighting Spirit

SamUltraRam

I've got to say that the both the players & the fans have had an excuse to just hide and feel sorry for themselves this season

But they haven't done that. The teams performance on Saturday was definitely not that of a team who have given up, I was really impressed with how they kept their shape and stood up to a barrage of 'Warnock' football - and were able to look very able in attack at times.

None of the starting eleven went missing and that's got to be seen as a positive for Wayne Rooney - there's no sign of anybody just taking their paycheck like in recent years. I don't think we have anyone in the squad who could be described in that way.

And the fans played their part too. 14,000 Derby fans made as much noise as 14,000 in the BBG - fantastic

For the missing fans that haven't been to a game this season, we want you back but please play your part to support the team - it must help the players so much

Edited by SamUltraRam

1 minute ago, SamUltraRam said:

I've got to say that the both the players & the fans have had an excuse to just hide and feel sorry for themselves this season

But they haven't done that. The teams performance on Saturday was definitely not that of a team who have given up, I was really impressed with how they kept their shape and stood up to a barrage of 'Warnock' football - and were able to look very able in attack at times.

None of the starting eleven went missing and that's got to be seen as a positive for Wayne Rooney - there's no sign of anybody just taking their paycheck like in recent years. I don't think we have anyone in the squad who could be described in that way.

And the fans played their part too. 14,000 Derby fans made as much noise as 14,000 in the BBG - fantastic

Spot on. In fact I’ve thought the same after every game this season.  Evan after the crazy stuff that went on late at Peterborough. 

The only thing wrong with your post is that in the second paragraph the word football should have been in inverted commas. There was only one team trying to play football on Saturday. 

My main issue last season was the lack of bottle. I can accept the fact that our team is not competitive, I can't accept that the team is not willing to dig in and try. Some games last season were so maddeningly predictable in the way we lost them it drove me mad. Hopefully what we have seen so far means they have collectively sorted that issue out.

It’s too soon to say. The season is four games old and let’s be honest, the spirit of this team hasn’t really been tested.

I could understand posts like this if we had started the season on -6 points and whittled it down.

But as it is, I feel the praise for Rooney and the players is slightly premature. Let’s face it, if we were to lose against Forest, people would suddenly and surely look upon our start to the season much less favourably.

In 10-15 games, let’s see where we are and how we have fared and whether Rooney and the players have stood up to the challenge.

Two home draws and one win from four games is not really a great indicator of that, especially considering we have only faced one team who would be looking up the table instead of down.

3 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

It’s too soon to say. The season is four games old and let’s be honest, the spirit of this team hasn’t really been tested.

I could understand posts like this if we had started the season on -6 points and whittled it down.

But as it is, I feel the praise for Rooney and the players is slightly premature. Let’s face it, if we were to lose against Forest, people would suddenly and surely look upon our start to the season much less favourably.

In 10-15 games, let’s see where we are and how we have fared and whether Rooney and the players have stood up to the challenge.

Two home draws and one win from four games is not really a great indicator of that, especially considering we have only faced one team who would be looking up the table instead of down.

Very cheery, keep up the optimism. 

12 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

1 defeat in 5…and out of the 4 in the league 2 are above us, 2 below, I would say It is the very definition of a “solid” start. 

16 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

…apart from Peterborough- that could’ve been a psychological scar and Middlesbrough who severely tested our spirit by their “gamesmanship”. 

22 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Come on Jourdan, at the start of the season, how many points did you think we would have by now ?

The points return and the performances have been better than I expected. But for us switching off in injury time at Peterborough we could have been on 8 points now - which would have been outstanding after 4 games

What if we beat Forest on Saturday rather than lose to them - let's be positive

Edited by SamUltraRam

40 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

No tougher test than Boro as a team. How we may react if losing 3 nil to WBA after 30 minutes will be another kind of test should it happen.

56 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

@Jourdan I know you live down in the SW so this isn't meant as a provocative question but I detect from being actually at the games quite a sea-change in the team's set-up and style. A confidence boost from bagging a few goals - the chances are coming _ and I can see us pushing on this season. The green shoots - which NEVER appeared under Cocu style-wise save for that period when Rooney arrived just before COVID when results picked up (when he played CM19 up front away at Wendies and at home to Blackburn) and I see a good season ahead. There will be set-backs but the point is - gone is that awful, slow, laboured style which was easy to counter and so tedious to watch. We are knitting quick moves together and there's a varied style and pattern to our play. We will soon be scoring goals and look a threat. I'm confident of that. It all hangs by a thread because an injury to Jags/Davies/ in particular or any of our other outfield first-picks and we are in the lard. So, time to be a bit more upbeat! It can go any way on satdee against a desperate RedDogs side but a good win over them and off we gooooooooo!

2 hours ago, SamUltraRam said:

For the missing fans that haven't been to a game this season, we want you back but please play your part to support the team - it must help the players so much

Missed the Boro and Huddersfield games due to stag doos and weddings but can’t wait for Saturday to get right behind the lads and hopefully ensure forests pointless start (and pointless existence) continues!! I’m sure the place will be rocking Saturday even if it isn’t a sell out. Even with it being forest just can’t see suddenly 14k returning. 

28 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

@Jourdan I know you live down in the SW so this isn't meant as a provocative question but I detect from being actually at the games quite a sea-change in the team's set-up and style. A confidence boost from bagging a few goals - the chances are coming _ and I can see us pushing on this season. The green shoots - which NEVER appeared under Cocu style-wise save for that period when Rooney arrived just before COVID when results picked up (when he played CM19 up front away at Wendies and at home to Blackburn) and I see a good season ahead. There will be set-backs but the point is - gone is that awful, slow, laboured style which was easy to counter and so tedious to watch. We are knitting quick moves together and there's a varied style and pattern to our play. We will soon be scoring goals and look a threat. I'm confident of that. It all hangs by a thread because an injury to Jags/Davies/ in particular or any of our other outfield first-picks and we are in the lard. So, time to be a bit more upbeat! It can go any way on satdee against a desperate RedDogs side but a good win over them and off we gooooooooo!

I've been one of Rooney's biggest critics but I completely agree there are signs this season under Rooney that just weren't there under him last season. We look like we are trying to play football, we look like we have a plan to create space and progress the ball and we've ditched trying to "match" each opponent instead focusing on ourselves.

However I do think the highlighted is a tad disingenious.

8 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

I've been one of Rooney's biggest critics but I completely agree there are signs this season under Rooney that just weren't there under him last season. We look like we are trying to play football, we look like we have a plan to create space and progress the ball and we've ditched trying to "match" each opponent instead focusing on ourselves.

However I do think the highlighted is a tad disingenious.

We can agree to differ on that @brady1993! I'm glad you can see the "green shoots" too. Let's hope and believe the Team is going forward now. A win next Saturday and the Rooney wagon will be rolling. 

2 hours ago, Jourdan said:

While I get what you are trying to say. I personally think the current situation at the club (embargo, no money, potential take over saga, small squad and injuries to key players) could seriously have dented the spirit and put us on a downer from the start. Almost as if we have a 3 to 6 point deficit, however, I for one will applaud and encourage the team to carry on and grow in confidence and not knock it before it starts.

Edited by BathRam72

If I were honest, if you had asked me before the start of the season, after the first few games I expected a draw at home - a draw or even nothing away. A minus points balance (thanks to a 6 point deduction), a big loss (probably to Gibson's lot) and team really struggling to keep its head up. This season was all about being better than 4th bottom.

Just an opinion, and I know it's very early days, but it feels the team is more positive and we don't seem to be the whipping boys most commentators expected. I'm not Rooney's greatest fan, but he appears to really want some resilience in the team and expects focus as a bare minimum. Doing it with absolutely bog-all investment is pretty rare for us and is icing on the cake.

I just get the feeling this is "personal" for him and that's a powerful motivator.

If he can continue to keep this going and possibly instil a little killer instinct going up front that would be real progress.

Now I dare to think of mid-table, not bad for a "team in crisis".

2 hours ago, SamUltraRam said:

Come on Jourdan, at the start of the season, how many points did you think we would have by now ?

The points return and the performances have been better than I expected. But for us switching off in injury time at Peterborough we could have been on 8 points now - which would have been outstanding after 4 games

What if we beat Forest on Saturday rather than lose to them - let's be positive

Why is everything either positive or negative? There can be a middle ground, a bit of balance.

All I’ve said is that we need to give it 10-15 games to fairly assess things and that things can turn very quickly, which is why it’s premature to praise Rooney and the players. We have played four games, not forty.

I didn’t say we would lose to Forest. I said that if we were to lose, the mood around our start to the season would be different. Of course we could beat them and that would be fantastic and it would give us a good platform going into the autumn. 

But at the same time, if results don’t go well, we might look at August as a missed opportunity. Before the season started, I would have looked at Huddersfield, Hull and Peterborough as games there to be won.

Hull and Peterborough have just come up to the Championship and are expected to be in the mix for relegation. Both teams have very unremarkable squads and managers.

Similarly, Huddersfield struggled last season and don’t really have the means to radically improve their side. So again, a game that was there for the taking.

Let’s not pretend we have had a start of Everest proportions.

18 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Why is everything either positive or negative? There can be a middle ground, a bit of balance.

All I’ve said is that we need to give it 10-15 games to fairly assess things and that things can turn very quickly, which is why it’s premature to praise Rooney and the players. We have played four games, not forty.

I didn’t say we would lose to Forest. I said that if we were to lose, the mood around our start to the season would be different. Of course we could beat them and that would be fantastic and it would give us a good platform going into the autumn. 

But at the same time, if results don’t go well, we might look at August as a missed opportunity. Before the season started, I would have looked at Huddersfield, Hull and Peterborough as games there to be won.

Hull and Peterborough have just come up to the Championship and are expected to be in the mix for relegation. Both teams have very unremarkable squads and managers.

Similarly, Huddersfield struggled last season and don’t really have the means to radically improve their side. So again, a game that was there for the taking.

Let’s not pretend we have had a start of Everest proportions.

I think fans are just pleased that the team are proving people wrong.

Even though we've only played 4 games, all I saw before the season was pundits, commenators and rival supporters saying we would be rock bottom, lowest points total and all this nonsense. We were written off before a ball was kicked, and yet we look a decent outfit.

Of course we have to continue it, but I think it's been a solid start. I don't see anyone pretending we've had a start of Everest proportions, all I see is fans enjoying the football for a change.